Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

iPad advice needed

(44 Posts)
petallus Wed 05-Sep-12 23:40:16

Finally I splashed on an iPad.

Very nice but can't seem to find a star on the keyboard so cannot bold names. Also not the right shaped brackets for emoticons.

Am I missing something?

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Nov-12 22:39:05

grin

Grannyeggs Tue 27-Nov-12 22:34:37

I like that too,although it took me ages to find it. But I have been known to wipe the lot out by mistake.

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Nov-12 22:30:01

I just love the delete app thingy. DGDs grow out of kiddy apps so quick I love the way the apps quiver in fear when I'm having a clear out.

yogagran Tue 27-Nov-12 22:19:42

I did at first wise woman but I've got used to the touch screen keyboard now and quite happily swap between laptop, tablet or main computer. Only difference is that with laptop and computer I use all my fingers in the "proper way" but with the tablet I just use two on each hand!

wisewoman Tue 27-Nov-12 20:57:07

I am interested to hear that most people are enthralled by the iPads. My son lent me one to try and I can't really see any advantage over my macbook. Mark you I find touch screens really difficult, having been a secretary in a previous life and find using a keyboard so much easier that the touch screen stuff. Do other "typers" have this problem?

baubles Tue 27-Nov-12 20:36:16

Thanks for the tip Hummingbird I hadn't thought of doing that smile

Nanadog Tue 27-Nov-12 20:27:46

Oh...one downside to iPads and other tablets. Beware of grandchildren. The average 2-3 year old knows how to activate them, scroll across your screens, select and play your music, take photos, etc. This time last year I found my (then) 5 year-old grandson tutoring his 2 year-old cousin in their use. She has since cascaded the knowledge to her other cousin.

This makes your screen very STICKY grin

suzied Tue 27-Nov-12 18:55:06

I Love my iPad too. You can go on free beginners and other workshops for photos etc at Apple stores. You can put their app on your iPad and book them up. Words with Friends is a free scrabble game you can play with others with an iPad or iPhone . Draw Something is another good game you can play. Good ways to keep in touch with friends and family. Download the emoji app to get the world symbol with lots of little emoticons ������

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Nov-12 18:43:21

Thanks Hummingbird Now got the Gransnet icon!

MiceElf Tue 27-Nov-12 18:17:58

Mine's an iPad 1. Perhaps on the newer ones you have to do what Mamie did and download them from settings?

petallus Tue 27-Nov-12 17:44:41

I haven't got a circular word thing.

Mamie Tue 27-Nov-12 17:38:47

Thanks MiceElf. Not there at the moment, but found that you have to add international keyboards in settings.
BTW download time for The Observer app in UK 14 seconds. Here in rural France, 12 minutes!

yogagran Tue 27-Nov-12 17:08:49

Nanadog you don't need a special air printer, there are all sorts of apps that enable you to print directly from you tablet, phone or whatever. But I have an android tablet and phone so it may be different from iPad.
Really pleased with the Android system, works well for me and I didn't want to be tied in the Apple for everything

MiceElf Tue 27-Nov-12 16:40:35

The language appears in the space bar.

MiceElf Tue 27-Nov-12 16:39:33

Look at the main keyboard.

Look at the bottom row where the spacebar is.

Second from the left is the icon hou need. It is a circle with vertical and horizontal lines across the diameter and curved lines to represent the latitudes and longitudes.

Mamie Tue 27-Nov-12 16:34:04

I haven't got a circular, world icon, that I can see? I just press the key for the accent.

MiceElf Tue 27-Nov-12 16:25:06

Mamie, if you press the circular 'world' icon next to the .?123 icon on the bottom left hand side, it will give you French, German and some other keyboards and automatically insert accents. It saves a lot of hassle.

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 15:53:43

I think you would need young eyes to use the i-pad mini.

whenim64 Tue 27-Nov-12 15:48:44

Petallus there's also a free one on the App Store called Scramble, which you can play with other iPad owners, with partners on the same iPad, or on your own. Seems to be the same as Scrabble.

petallus Tue 27-Nov-12 15:21:43

Thanks!

Mamie Tue 27-Nov-12 15:07:52

You download it from the app store. Cost a few pounds, but worth every penny apart from causing ipad wars with OH!

petallus Tue 27-Nov-12 15:01:27

Just put GN icon on home screen.
Where is scrabble?

Mamie Tue 27-Nov-12 14:32:08

I love my ipad, but turned off the spelling correction very fast. It made merry when I was writing in French and corrected everything to (un)likely English words. Did you know that when you need accents, you press longer on the letter and then slide for e acute etc?
Our absolute favourite thing is ipad Scrabble and I can confirm the the journey through the Channel Tunnel takes one and a half games....

MaggieP Tue 27-Nov-12 14:24:33

Anybody tried or seen the iPad mini yet?

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 13:01:05

I have resisted the lure of the i-pad so far. Use a desktop pc at the moment in a spare room (which I call my playroom!). I like to keep the internet separate from other stuff. Would never bring a Forum into my living room.

But that's just me. smile