Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I unstick a sticker?

(30 Posts)
flowerfriend Thu 13-Sep-12 20:20:08

Just bought a new kettle. It's quite elegant looking apart from the fact that there was a sticker on it when I unpacked it (advertising other products in the range) and the little blighter won't come off. Suggestions please grandads.

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 20:27:40

Try WD40 flower.

Anagram Thu 13-Sep-12 20:30:44

Or lighter fuel. I've got a bottle of 'sticky stuff remover' from Lakeland which works wonderfully, as well!
(What made you think only Granddads would know, flowerfriend? hmm

flowerfriend Thu 13-Sep-12 20:44:42

Missing the late Mr. Flower probably Anagram. Just tried the WD40. Sticker not budging and kettle now greasy and smelly too. 'Sticky stuff remover' is on my list for when I go to the UK next month.

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 20:58:30

Oh, it worked on my sticky bits, must have been a different glue. Have you tried methylated spirits or nail varnish remover?

Anagram Thu 13-Sep-12 20:59:29

Oh dear! Got any turps or white spirit? Sometimes nail varnish remover will work, too - good luck! Sorry to be insensitive, I hadn't realised...flowers

Anagram Thu 13-Sep-12 21:00:12

Snap, Notso! grin

nightowl Thu 13-Sep-12 21:09:02

Sometimes furniture polish does the trick

Elegran Thu 13-Sep-12 21:16:35

Sometimes white spirit works

Elegran Thu 13-Sep-12 21:21:19

Should have read previous posts. Anagram already mentioned white spitit spirit.

bikergran Thu 13-Sep-12 21:30:33

Baby oil or similar removes any stcky residue..let it soak in a min then it should rub off.then wipe with soapy sponge/cloth smile not tried it with veg/olive oil etc but may work just as well!

Ella46 Thu 13-Sep-12 21:33:07

Take it back and ask the shop to remove it or refund your money! That'll shift it! grin

Notsogrand Thu 13-Sep-12 21:37:42

I was just about to say the same Ella! I bought a beautiful and quite expensive flower pot holder some years ago and had the same problem. I took it back and made a big fuss and got a refund.

bikergran Thu 13-Sep-12 21:42:58

Yes my DD bought a lovely soft fleece baby blanket from Asda, they had stuck big sticker on the blanket instead of the paper sleeve..she took it back got refund..as all the other blankets had the sticker on! tut!

Mamie Fri 14-Sep-12 08:09:43

Flowerfriend, Lakeland now deliver in Europe for a flat rate of (I think) about £7.50. Bit expensive for just sticky stuff remover, but I am sure there would be lots of other things to buy. Clingfilm for example? (For those who haven't tried it, French clingfilm sticks only to itself!)

maggie51 Fri 01-Mar-13 09:04:44

Good day to all. This is my 1st post on here so here go's i bought a stick on mirror for my car (i tow a caravan) & i have put it on the wrong place & i cannot get it off any one know how?.
Wayne.

shysal Fri 01-Mar-13 09:16:30

Welcome maggie51, I look forward to your future contributions, hope you enjoy Gransnet. I think I would try a thin knife to remove the mirror, but it will be difficult. To stick it back in the correct position you will need a new sticky pad -something like Sticky Fixer by Sellotape or something stronger if you can find it.
As I always state when these sticky label problems crop up, lighter fluid has never failed me. It is best to rub off as much of the paper as you can to allow it to reach the glue better.

Movedalot Fri 01-Mar-13 09:49:16

Thanks everyone. I have a sticker problem too and will now try each of these in turn, well apart from Lakeland as I don't have any of that. smile

Maniac Fri 01-Mar-13 10:00:55

Try olive or other vegetable oil NO water .Have you tried just peeling off when the kettle is hot?

croakysinger Sun 28-Apr-13 23:00:52

use a hairdrier to warm up the sticker adhesive then gently peel it off.

cathy Sun 28-Apr-13 23:26:35

Warm soapy water usually works.

connorpeplow Tue 11-Jun-13 19:05:36

Er peel it?

merlotgran Tue 11-Jun-13 19:38:42

I hate it when stickers are put on books, like 'Latest Bestseller' or 'Two For One Offer'. I bought a 'Toofa' in WH Smiths and wanted to give my DD the other paperback but couldn't get the dratted label off without tearing the cover. I didn't want to appear a cheapskate so ended up keeping both books and buying her something else.

#probablywasbeingacheapskate.

NfkDumpling Tue 11-Jun-13 22:39:46

If the label is large or looks intrusive or over the top I now ask the shop assistants to remove the labels. The last one gave me the rest of the Sticky Stuff remover bottle, so I think others may do it too.

It's my campaign against over labelling.

Nelliemoser Wed 12-Jun-13 10:50:52

notso My mind is boggling about "your sticky bits" wink

I would not bother buying an expensive remover as one or other of these seems to work.

I have found different glues need different solvents. If water does not work try plain cooking oil. Or Meths or White spirit in that sort of order.

I found double sided tape very difficult, but after a bit of Googling it responds best to any cooking oil.

Meths seem to do sellotape residue best.