Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is acknowledging a birthday important

(108 Posts)
kitchen Tue 25-Sep-12 08:28:57

As I get older a birthday card from those I love seems to mean so much more. Is this a strange reaction? I am close to both my sons and the younger one is so kind and thoughtful. My eldest son leads a very busy life job wise but seems to forget the little things that mean a lot. I child mind every week and help his wife a lot but she could not even wish me a happy birthday let alone organise anything. A home made card from the children or a telephone call from them encouraged by their parents would have meant so much. I just wish I could understand my daughter in law more. Her family are all widespread so contact is not as regular but she makes so much of them which is understandable. Always polite she continues to have an air of coldness and I cannot get beyond that. On any occasion her attitude seems to be that they are her husband's parents not hers. I love the grandchildren dearly and would not wish to cause any rift but yearn for some understanding.

Ana Fri 28-Sep-12 22:24:33

I agree, goldengirl. I know it sounds churlish, but if I say I don't want a fuss, I really mean it, and I do hate 'surprise' parties etc. Perhaps it's understandable for family and friends to want to mark a landmark birthday - but not each and every one. It's the same with Christmas. To me, it's for children, and the pressure and worry about what to buy Auntie Gladys, Uncle Jim et al just makes it a trial rather than a pleasure.

goldengirl Fri 28-Sep-12 22:09:14

I don't like celebrating my birthday although this year's event was pleasant because I got to do what I wanted rather than be organised. There seems to be pressure on the birthday person to enjoy the day regardless and pressure on those around to make it enjoyable even if they wished they could be doing something else. I find the whole thing embarrassing. I think birthdays are lovely for little children but once the age of majority is reached that should be it. The only beneficiaries are retailers!!!!

glammanana Fri 28-Sep-12 11:59:06

DD is very good and remembers everyone's birthday and spends the year looking for presents that suit she does put a lot into it,whereas DS1 and his partner are very slow in remembering any birthdays on our side but she does go over the top with herown family,DS2s girlfriend is totally different in the fact that she has asked me for a list of birthdays for our side of the family from me and mr.glamma down to DDs and DGCs birthdays she is a very thoughtful girl totally different to DS1s girlfriendconfused

johanna Thu 27-Sep-12 22:52:31

Oh, greatnan, that takes me back.
Over 50 years even. I spent 8 weeks at La Chatenellie. Little finishing school.
Wonderful little town. From what I remember.
With regard to the " finishing " : It did not work!!

Greatnan Thu 27-Sep-12 21:13:19

Thank you, Soop - I have had a very relaxing day and tomorrow I am having lunch with a woman friend in the lovely town of Neuchatel.

Faye Thu 27-Sep-12 20:55:18

Happy Bithday Dancinggran I missed your post. flowers

Faye Thu 27-Sep-12 20:36:43

My ex husband, always a funny man, would tell everyone how many shopping days they had left until his birthday. My family always bought him presents, his mother wasn't one for making a fuss of him.

Happy Birthday Greatnan and Janeainsworth flowers flowers

janeainsworth Thu 27-Sep-12 20:28:24

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Dancinggranflowers

Dancinggran Thu 27-Sep-12 20:05:41

After I got married I was always the one who remembered birthdays for both sides of the family otherwise nobody would have cards or presents. Now 26 years since we split I still send my former MiL a birthday card and small gift (from myself of course) Cards for my own birthday were always bought by my mum, but my daughters took over when they were old enough and have never missed. My cards are on the fireplace ready for opening tomorrow - unfortunately it is unlikely I will see daughters, son in laws or grandchildren due to work etc. but they will no doubt all arrive at some stage on Saturday. MY house will be a very lively, noisy place - at least for a few hours.

soop Thu 27-Sep-12 14:22:57

HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear Greatnan I trust that you've fun in mind. Enjoy! grin sunshine cupcake wine flowers

Greatnan Thu 27-Sep-12 14:00:24

I reckon I was the result of my dad having a couple too many drinks at Christmas, 1939!
I make excuses for my family not telephoning or sending cards, as most of us do, but I also had a very busy career and I still managed to telephone my mother almost every day from wherever I was living in Europe. She never helped us in any way, not financially, not baby-sitting, but I adored her. So did my sister and we were both most upset one New Year's Day when she was staying with me in Monaco and we realised that we had forgotten to ring our mother on New Year's Eve, as we always did. My mother was quite put out about that, even though we explained we had been in a bar having a drink with a group of friends - this was in the pre-mobile days. She wouldn't go to my sister's wedding, which was hastily arranged due to her pregnancy, because she had a work's outing to Blackpool booked.
Why do some mothers (and perhaps fathers) get more attention than they have earned, whilst others who make huge sacrifices for their children are taken for granted? Or have I just answered my own question?

Oddly enough, my older daughter is much more attentive now she is 12,000 miles away and rings me a couple of times a week as well as keeping me updated with pms on Facebook.

aliciap Thu 27-Sep-12 13:45:13

I think remembering birthdays is very important but, unfortunately, when people have very busy lives they tend to forget these things that mean so much.

I do feel sorry for my daughters, whilst I would have loved a career when I was younger I do not envy them having to juggle jobs and care for their families at the same time. It does seem very stressful and leaves little time for leisure or, indeed, thought for others.

My youngest daughter always forgets my birthday and I generally get a panicked phone call a week later. It used to really hurt my feeling when it first started happening but now I look at it with a chuckle at how absent minded she has always been.

Please don't feel too down about it, it is just one of those things and if it continues to happen why not have a quiet word with your son about how you feel? Sometimes its good to talk.

Ally

Littlenellie Thu 27-Sep-12 10:18:12

The September one was a few too martini's over the Christmas period ,planned and first time lucky wink.elegran
May and June where also planned luckily without problem,and yes September holidays grin

Elegran Thu 27-Sep-12 10:10:37

Due to summer holidays? Happy New Years?

Littlenellie Thu 27-Sep-12 09:57:17

Have also noticed that birthdays cluster round same time of year as well as dates,used to joke that my mum and dad seemed to favour March just as the sap is rising as my brother and I are 2 weeks apart with 5 years difference,two of mine the same with 23 months difference in may and June and one in September....notice I tried hard not to inflict the Christmas birthday misery on mine.

Littlenellie Thu 27-Sep-12 09:52:42

Never thought of that greatnan but bears out with my 3 xx

Greatnan Thu 27-Sep-12 09:33:34

If a woman has a regular menstrual cycle, it is quite likely she will conceive around the same time of the month and, hence, have all her children's birthdays clustered around one date. Mine were 31st and 2nd.

glassortwo Thu 27-Sep-12 09:24:55

My Aunt had all three of her children on the same date, same month but different years.

Mamie Thu 27-Sep-12 09:20:24

By the way, does anyone else have special dates in their families? In our "blood" family of DH, me, DS, DD and 4 DGCs we have three 27ths and three 30ths out of eight birthdays (all different months). My MiL and Fil were also 27ths. No births were induced!

glitabo Thu 27-Sep-12 09:12:19

Happy birthday Greatnan cupcake wine

I hope you have a lovely day.

Also to any other GNetters whose birthday it is today.

MiceElf Thu 27-Sep-12 08:29:29

Bonne anniversaire

whenim64 Thu 27-Sep-12 08:19:31

Happy Birthday, Greatnan. Wishing you a very happy day flowers wine sunshine

Greatnan Thu 27-Sep-12 07:52:28

Thank you, my good friends - I have posted a message on the Birthday Greetings thread.

Grannylin Thu 27-Sep-12 07:50:19

Happy,happy birthday to you Greatnan flowerssunshine

Littlenellie Thu 27-Sep-12 07:46:57

On time now greatnan have a lovely dayxxxxsmile