Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you think..

(31 Posts)
Littlenellie Sun 07-Oct-12 10:18:40

E has been asked to do babysitting...
The facts follow,
T is a friend of my daughter who passed away,she has been in E's life since she was small although not for a few years and has moved nearby to us and rest abolished contact,she was a witness at K's trial and instrumental in getting a conviction.
She is a single parent with two boys aged 4 and 9,some people she mixes with are 'worrying',but feel sure this does not happen in front of her boys,she is a good parent.
T has asked E to babysit all night in her house on an as and when basis for pocket money which she wants to do.
E. does not like the dark,has to have all windows covered,she has her own problems,but she is sensible.
T has suggested a friend can go with her,but I don't feel that is a good idea,too much play acting etc..
I have suggested I be "on call" OH not happy with this
It would be an overnight session,T would be out all night
E is 131/2 and seems to be aware of what to do if...
She is studying childcare and development as her options at school,the 4year old will be her case study next year.
I do not want to prevent E from having some responsibility and the chance to earn her own pocket money,but am feeling this is a year too soon.
Over to my wise friends......

Littlenellie Sun 07-Oct-12 11:29:52

A big thanks to you all E will not be babysitting and I will be supervising any contact E has with T as in I will make sure I am there and any invites will be clashing with other arrangements so that I can guide them "oh sorry we are busy then" ,think T sees her as an equal...this relationship needs nipping in the bud,thank you for confirming the bad feeling was not misplaced. flowers to my lovely friends thank you

Littlenellie Sun 07-Oct-12 11:36:00

absent I absolutely blew up when T contacted E directly,feel very uneasy about that and now will speak to her,have already said that if she was having contact with. E we should be singing of the same hymn sheet so that one is not played off against the other and T is seen as an ally,as far Iam concerned this really is not going to happen and has to be nipped in the bud.

soop Sun 07-Oct-12 14:54:43

Have only just read this thread. Nellie, all the advice has been sensible and sound. You, being you, have listened to your inner voice. E shouldn't be expected to take on such a big responsibility at her age. I'm pleased that you have reached the right decision. Well done! flowers

FlicketyB Sun 07-Oct-12 20:36:07

When my daughter was 13 1/2 I was still having babysitters for her when we went out. We gradually eased up at 14 to only having a sitter if we were going to be away for a long time and a long way away, a very rare occurrance.

This, of course was before mobile phones.

clementine Fri 02-Nov-12 20:00:18

Coming to this very late but hope you managed to get it all sorted out amicably. I think you are very wise listening to your gut instincts and also the good advice you got on here from your friends. To be honest, I wouldn't have left my children at 13 without a babysitter, let alone entrusting them with the responsibilty of being in charge of another child.