Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spiders

(69 Posts)
Barrow Wed 17-Oct-12 12:10:57

I wasn't sure what to put this under but finally chose Ask a Gran because I thought its (mostly) grans that would know about this.

I live in the countryside and am constantly doing battle with spiders. They particularly like my bedroom (I admit the only time the window is closed is when I am out of the house so that it probably how they get in). I recall some time ago someone posted about something you could put around the window to discourage the little blighters but don't seem to be able to find it. Could I ask that person to post again before my bedroom starts looking like Miss Haversham wedding breakfast table!

I suppose I could have posted this under Ask a Grandad, or Environment or even Pets!

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 12:12:51

Conkers? I'm sure someone said to put a conker on burglar alarm sensors around the house which stops the spiders setting them off.

Elegran Wed 17-Oct-12 12:16:34

Someone replied that you can buy a spray in Lakeland Plastics with Eau De conker in it. (I am sure there are other suppliers)

Barrow Wed 17-Oct-12 12:20:21

Eau de Conker - really shock Hadn't thought of the Lakeland site - will have a look later today when I have finished dealing with the current set of interlopers!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 17-Oct-12 12:36:56

It seems to be a bad year for conkers, but yes, they do work. At least since last year's ones finally went wrinkled or mouldy, there have been a lot more spiders in our bedroom. The tree next door is not doing its bit to supply more and I am getting paranoid about what is lurking behind the furniture (although not paranoid enough to move it and clean behind it hmm.)

Barrow Wed 17-Oct-12 12:43:52

I had a quick look on the Lakeland site but they only have a spider catcher - I already catch them (admittedly with the vacuum cleaner!) I just want to stop them coming in. I know I could just close the window, but I like lots of fresh air - and I think they would still get in anyway.

No conker tress around me - anyone where can I get hold of some? (conkers, not trees!)

Elegran Wed 17-Oct-12 12:46:33

There must be other firms that do conker sprays, and I may have been wrong about Lakeland Plastics, but they seem to sell everything.

How about John Lewis?

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 12:50:45

They don't like mint, either. Polo's?

Anne58 Wed 17-Oct-12 12:54:34

Yes, they ^^ are right, it was recommended to put conkers here and there to act as a deterrent.

We seem to have an abundance of quite large spiders at the moment, but Digby has proved himself to be spider catcher extrordinaire!

Was a bit of an incident the other evening though when he caught one on the hearth rug, took it to the other end of the sitting room to play with, where it escaped and ran under the sofa. Digby stood guard for ages, with his nose pressed as far under the sofa as it would go. I sat with my feet on the coffee table!

JessM Wed 17-Oct-12 13:15:39

If they are spinning webs they are garden spiders, which don't tend to come indoors usually. Do you really have round spider webs indoors?
The indoor kind are the ones that hunt by running across the floor. No webs.
Those are the kind I normally have to rescue DH from. "They are our friends" I say piously, "they catch mozzies and flies!"
I was not so happy though when I met one of their Australian cousins - twice the size and the Usain Bolt of the spider world. In the bathroom, 2 a.m.

jeni Wed 17-Oct-12 13:39:05

The ones down here are GINORMOUS!

JessM Wed 17-Oct-12 13:49:03

Garden spiders particularly splendid at this time of year - big fat tummies and huge webs. The end, for them, is nigh.

Barrow Wed 17-Oct-12 15:02:57

yes, I do have webs (but not nice round ones - they tend to spread them out across the ceiling or along the walls!). I hoovered them all up this morning and have just checked and there are now two more! jeni is right we seem to have very large spiders - the sort my father used to say you could put a saddle on!

JessM Wed 17-Oct-12 15:11:07

Charlotte's Web is a lovely children's book about a pig and a spider. Helps with the thinking kind thoughts about spiders thing ;)

FlicketyB Wed 17-Oct-12 16:13:43

Living in a rural area, spiders abound. What infuriates me is that when I do some cleaning I will run my feather duster everywhere the spiders websare - and by evening they have respun the wretched things.

Lilygran Wed 17-Oct-12 16:33:38

We get the occasional very large spider which races all round the room and then disappears. No cats anymore [ deprived emoticon] so they run about unhindered. I was told that they look for mates in the autumn. Anyone know if it's true?

Barrow Wed 17-Oct-12 16:55:03

Found a website called Homecare which has a spray which deters them but doesn't harm them - will report how well it works (or not)

tanith Wed 17-Oct-12 17:03:53

Funnily enough OH and I went conker hunting this morning and found only 4 on the ground under two large trees , they will have to do till I find some more, I do the same thing every Autumn put one in the corner of all the rooms and voila!! no spiders... it works for us.

Barrow Wed 17-Oct-12 17:10:35

I've not seen any conkers this year (no trees in immediate vicinity). I may have to mug a child playing conkers (if they do play that anymore)

feetlebaum Wed 17-Oct-12 17:47:30

Conker? They're all over our village car-park - well, on the side where there are horse-chestnut trees, anyway! Lovely shiny colour when they are so fresh...

annodomini Wed 17-Oct-12 17:49:56

In one of my previous houses we had a big spider that emerged from the hole in the wall where the TV cables came through. It used to stick its legs out and wave them about then retreat - presumably until we'd gone to bed! We called him Henry.

nanaej Wed 17-Oct-12 17:59:16

We have a spider in the sitting room..think s/he lives in the log basket but occasionally dashes across the carpet when we are relaxing in the evening. Webs are on lampshades but wispy ones not garden style webs.
In our old house we had a Charlotte who laid her eggs in the porch and we enjoyed that magical time when they hatched into what looked like a yellow ball but when you blew it gently it spread out into 100s of teeny spiders. Happened every year.

jeni Wed 17-Oct-12 18:00:42

barrow come to Portishead usually plenty outside high down school.

Ana Wed 17-Oct-12 18:02:47

Spiders....? shock

jeni Wed 17-Oct-12 18:06:35

Cookers ![frown] emoticon.