Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Everyone its time to laugh at Cheelu!

(27 Posts)
CHEELU Sat 22-Dec-12 21:17:10

Was so happy today because I had bought most of Christmas Diner BUT my son just noticed that I haven't bought a Turkey but a Chicken!!!! I asked the man in Marks and Spencers to point me to the Turkeys so I assumed they were all Turkeys, It is massive and you don't usually see such big chickens, it wouldn't matter so much but my DH can not eat Chicken, Oh well no point stressing now..

Nonu Sun 23-Dec-12 16:21:24

Turkey is healthier though .grin

CHEELU Sun 23-Dec-12 15:32:39

Thats really good Gramps, made me feel quite happy reading that..

gramps Sun 23-Dec-12 15:16:41

So, the chicken coop is all to blame
for DH's problem you explain,
a shame for the chicken he may not savour,
you'll have to choose another flavour!!

A turkey is an excellent choice,
and may help your DH to rejoice,
that he now has a meal to enjoy,
tell him he's a lucky boy!

If you are having pud, wine and coffee too
we will come and spend the day with you.
We are moderate with our needs,
and only want our daily feeds.

As Christmas comes but once a year,
' Should be a time of joyous cheer.
Stock up on wine and favourite beer.
And raise your glass for a good New Year!

Stansgran Sun 23-Dec-12 15:00:36

I do so love M&S food

CHEELU Sun 23-Dec-12 13:47:40

PS Bags DH caught pneumonia and the Docs told him it was due to the chicken coup we had at the time, since the pneumonia he has been un able to eat chicken and we he dose eat it he spends a whole day in the bathroom,sorry too much info but just trying to explain. I don't know why he is ok with Turkey to be honest but he is fine when he eats Turkey sandwich etc....

CHEELU Sun 23-Dec-12 13:42:52

Hey everyone I managed to change Chicken for Turkey!! When I spoke to my husband last night he suggested I call M & S so I called them this morning, spoke to The Manager and after some deliberation and the fact that I am third generation customer of that particular branch(yes of coarse I mentioned that to him I was looking to get a good result from conversation ha ha) he agreed to take it back! Yay I now have a lovely Turkey sitting in my fridge waiting to be cooked........

jO5 Sun 23-Dec-12 13:30:00

they are cooking cockerels these days

Ana Sun 23-Dec-12 12:34:10

Groan...grin

glammanana Sun 23-Dec-12 12:32:46

I'm not surprised that mistakes are made we are after all running about like headless chickens this time of year aren't we.grin

Grannyknot Sun 23-Dec-12 12:20:43

Gramps suggests to take it back,
The store however may see a lack -
I tried to return
something wrong, I never learn.
Only to be told by manager with some disdain,
"Sorry, you broke the freezer food chain" grin ...

Ella46 Sun 23-Dec-12 12:11:53

I'm having veal chops as Waitrose have now started selling them.

soop Sun 23-Dec-12 11:50:29

We're having roast duck with plum sauce.

Ariadne Sun 23-Dec-12 09:49:26

grin parsnip roulade for DD, DGD and me. DSiL had huge piece of beef which he'll cook in the barbecue.

Movedalot Sun 23-Dec-12 09:22:22

Such talent with the poems, such organisation from elegran smile Me, I'd just chop it up, freeze it and worry about it next year! I certainly wouldn't beat myself up about it CHEELU, if that is your only booboo this Christmas you are doing better than most of the rest of us. grin

Happy Christmas to all. wink

Bags Sun 23-Dec-12 08:30:13

We are having roast lamb.

Bags Sun 23-Dec-12 08:29:13

Just read your opening post, cheelu. Why can't your DH eat chicken? In particular, if he can eat turkey, how come he can't eat chicken? I wouldn't have thought there was a huge difference (except that chicken is nicer than turkey). Puzzled.

CHEELU Sat 22-Dec-12 23:36:40

What an honour--thank you Gramps, brilliant.......

merlotgran Sat 22-Dec-12 23:21:54

Why not cook a three bird roast?
He can eat the bit he likes the most.
Your chicken sounds quite large to me,
Are you sure it's not a he?
Because although it's fun to mock
It's bang on trend to serve roast cock(erel) grin

gramps Sat 22-Dec-12 23:11:06

Oh Cheelu what a mistake,
it's one that many might make,
a "fowl" thing - it's true,
but they cannot blame you,
it's the young man whose knees may now quake!

Have you time to take the bird back?
the chicken, that is more than a snack,
The Turkey is bigger and may alter your figure,
but who cares, if your belt has plenty of slack!

It is said that a bird in the bush,
be it an eagle or a small thrush,
will make its own space and feel no disgrace
as push comes to pull in life's race!

Dear Cheelu, I wish you good cheer,
for Christmas and throughout the New Year,
there are family and friends on whom pleasure depends,
say that turkey or chicken are trends! wink

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Dec-12 22:30:36

Can't he have a nice steak?

Elegran Sat 22-Dec-12 22:20:00

cheelu If it doesn't fit raw, it will fit cooked and cut up into joints, frozen in separate small bags so that you can use them as you need them.. You could buy a dozen soft rolls and fill them with sliced breast meat and freeze - that gives several snack meals, with salad added once they have defrosted.

If you have a few minutes (if!!!) you could pick the last meat off the carcass and freeze that in another small bag for adding to soup, and bung the broken up carcass into a couple of litres of water with an onion and simmer it for stock.

(And with your third and fourth hand you can wrap presents, trim tree, peel spuds and veg, etc. etc. etc ........)

glassortwo Sat 22-Dec-12 21:40:59

CHEELU chill its Christmas, cook it and freeze it. and go and buy a Turkey tomorrow. Or buy beef we have had a major discussion..... there are four adults here and 2 children...... one adult wanted turkey, one wanted goose and one wanted beef and I could not care tuppence as long as DH was cooking it anything would do so we have ended up with beef and are having beef wellington. It Christmas go with what ever is easiest.

CHEELU Sat 22-Dec-12 21:32:52

It won't fit in my freezer!!, DH at work at mo, will have a chat with him see what he wants to do when he gets in, really do not want to stress, but what an Idiot I am!!!! can't believe it....

Ana Sat 22-Dec-12 21:27:33

In front of me, that should have been...hmm

Ana Sat 22-Dec-12 21:26:40

Oh, I sympathise, CHEELU - someone in front of my at the checkout in my local supermarket had what I at first thought was a turkey on the conveyor belt and I'd never seen such a big chicken! I suppose some families prefer chicken so they sell extra-large ones at this time. Can you freeze it to use later?