Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Whats the best Christmas present you ever received

(16 Posts)
cheelu Sun 23-Dec-12 22:00:55

For me it was it was when I was little, I woke Christmas morning to see a talking doll at the bottom of my bed...

vampirequeen Sun 23-Dec-12 22:14:06

My son was born on Christmas Day.

baubles Mon 24-Dec-12 07:19:00

smile vq

I've been trying to recall childhood christmasses crimson but the memories appear to be locked hmm

JessM Mon 24-Dec-12 07:41:42

My SILs once gave me a black pashmina (stole) from East, with dark turquoise Indian embroidery all over it. I have others (really useful for someone with hot flushes that also feels the cold) but this one "goes" with so many things, doesn't show the dirt and looks nice. It is the one I would take with me if I am travelling and has been to the southern hemisphere a few times. I can wrap it around myself if I don't have a dressing gown, fold it up and sit on it, roll it up and rest my head on it and several times I have spread it over my bedding to get warm in the night. It is starting to look old but because you see the embroidery squiggles not the black wool it is bearing up well. I have darned one edge of it once. Most useful pressie ever.

Butty Mon 24-Dec-12 08:04:34

vq smile

Jess A perfect present smile. I'd forgotten about the word 'stole' - haven't heard that in years. I thought stoles were the furry things that just sat around the shoulders. confused. Unless you mean she stole it from East! [groanatdirepun] emoticon.

I do like large multi-purpose shawls though!

kittylester Mon 24-Dec-12 08:38:20

When I was about five my father heard Santa's bells outside so I rushed out to find a pink 'fairy' bike. smile

MiceElf Mon 24-Dec-12 09:10:44

When I was seven I got my heart's desire. An eight week old Siamese kitten. I loved him so much and broke my heart when he died when I was 21. I told him all my troubles and he never answered back and he made me laugh.

Absolutely no present ever, has ever been as good.

wisewoman Mon 24-Dec-12 09:56:51

One Christmas I got a "walkie talkie" doll. She was standing at the bottom of my bed on Christmas morning. She had two outfits - a perfect red raincoat with hat and wellies to match and a dressing gown, pyjamas and slippers. I was so thrilled with her and called her Pamela. The "walking" happened when you moved her along with your hands and the "talking" was a baby cry but I thought she was wonderful.

JessM Mon 24-Dec-12 11:15:18

My mother used to call them stoles. Then they were rebranded as pashiminas.

crimson Mon 24-Dec-12 11:27:19

Mice Elf; I can't believe a siamese cat owned you and DIDN'T answer back wink....

MiceElf Mon 24-Dec-12 11:30:10

Well, he DID own me and he talked a lot, but he ALWAYS agreed with me. I still miss him 40 + years on.....

crimson Mon 24-Dec-12 11:42:22

I can't imagine a more wonderful present; never sure why people buy puppies as presents for children as they're no fun [all chewing, messing and sleeping] whereas kittens are the most delightful creatures on the planet. I've never forgotten the look on the face of my first Burmese cat; she just walked up me [as they do] eyeballed me [to check me out] and then cased the joint.

MiceElf Mon 24-Dec-12 11:47:26

I've always wanted a Burmese, but I'm told they need to have constant companionship and hate being on their own. Otherwise.....

crimson Mon 24-Dec-12 11:59:30

I think Siamese are easier. I had to give up on Burmese after I lost the last one, they were very intensive..always desperate to get outside but, with no road sense whatsover, it was out of the question. I spent years worrying about them escaping. They had their own enclosed part of the garden but it wasn't the same as freedom. Never the same after that, so gave up an cats and have sighthounds instead. What put me of Siamese were tales of how very vocal they were, but I'd love to have had one.

Grannyknot Mon 24-Dec-12 12:54:42

JessM i have something similar also given to me by a SIL and I live in it and will probably ... come to think of it, will also make a perfect shroud grin. It has also gone on the bed for extra warmth when I'm travelling. It is black with jewel like colours, sort of arrowhead design embroidered all over it. I love it.

JessM Fri 28-Dec-12 12:33:10

I have received another one, also from East for xmas. It is red with goldy pattern. Also from East. Very handy for a woman with a red handbag. Lovely, but much more fragile than the trusty black one .