Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you do to De Stress

(51 Posts)
cheelu Sat 29-Dec-12 22:03:46

I thought it might help us if we could suggest ways to combat stress..One for me is defiantly walking....x x

shysal Sat 29-Dec-12 22:08:27

Me too cheelu. Vigorous activity makes thinking difficult.

glassortwo Sat 29-Dec-12 22:11:53

Two glass of red and I cant think grin

Nanado Sat 29-Dec-12 22:13:48

Just me and my dogs out for a walk.

Grannyknot Sat 29-Dec-12 22:24:31

I like the thought you you defiantly walking Cheelu smile walking is the one for me too. I did smile to myself the other day - went to a seminar on 'Mindfulness' and midway through I realised that my version of 'being in the moment' is concentrating on a tricky knitting pattern or baking something where I need to carefully follow the recipe. I haven't read it yet, but the author Marian Keyes (I think) has written a book about how she baked her way out of depression.

janeainsworth Sat 29-Dec-12 22:26:39

Working in my garden.

Joan Sat 29-Dec-12 22:28:11

Playing in the garden, with the dog.

Or retreating to my inner imagination and living a different life.

merlotgran Sat 29-Dec-12 22:43:27

Gardening, walking the dogs or baking. They all work for me.

Goose Sat 29-Dec-12 22:48:50

writing lyrics is good for me (am musician) Reading/doing crosswords

Goose Sat 29-Dec-12 22:52:33

glass or two I'm with you on that one! Had a 'couple' of glasses of elderberry wine tonight - am feeling perfectly relaxed nowsmile

glassortwo Sat 29-Dec-12 22:56:35

goose my other vice for stress is scrubbing...... but I try to avoid doing that too often. grin

Ana Sat 29-Dec-12 23:04:59

Is scrubbing a vice, glass? grin I've always suspected it was....

Fondasharing Sat 29-Dec-12 23:15:24

Going to "bodypump" classes at my local LA Fitness. The music is great, it strenghens my bones and I feel totally relaxed (probably knackered is the correct word!!) afterwards. Very empowering!!

glassortwo Sat 29-Dec-12 23:17:48

nag grin

artygran Sat 29-Dec-12 23:24:49

Pottering on the piano, hill walking, but most of all, fishing - if I can't get to the water, I just standing in the garden casting a fly line onto the grass. A good cast is a lovely thing to see and very satisfying to perform.....

Nanado Sat 29-Dec-12 23:38:54

My 6- year old grandson is your soul mate arty he spends hours sitting in a stool by my 'water feature' (as MrDog likes to call it) with a cooked sausage, tied to the end if a piece of string which in turn is tied to a stick. He says he's fishing too.

merlotgran Sat 29-Dec-12 23:42:31

I'd better not read your post to my DH, artygran, he'll want to marry you.

kittylester Sun 30-Dec-12 05:52:28

I'm a scrubber too glass! It's involuntary but I always find myself cleaning the kitchen when thinks get tough. I would prefer to go for a walk but I can't seem to stop cleaning for long enough! grin

Bags Sun 30-Dec-12 08:47:26

Grab a piece of chipped pottery (always plenty in our house), go outside and chuck it at a stone wall. Tells the family to stop pushing without my needing to say a word. I leave the shards where they land.

Bags Sun 30-Dec-12 08:48:50

PS I've done this fewer than five times in my life (just in case you all think I'm bonkers) wink

Well, I know you think that anyway....

whenim64 Sun 30-Dec-12 09:52:48

Retirement reduced my stress in one fell swoop!grin. I do things like gardening, listening to music, talking with friends or family, cleaning the kitchen. One effective way of dispelling built up tension, for me, is to have a bloody good scream and shout in the privacy of my car. It does wonders for bringing calm and a feeling of peace. It's some months since I have done that, though grin

Mishap Sun 30-Dec-12 12:02:01

Anyone under regular stress should try joining a community choir - there are now loads round the country - singing is very good therapy!

MiceElf Sun 30-Dec-12 12:37:04

If only, Mishap. But if you can't sing in tune, what then?

Mishap Sun 30-Dec-12 12:47:55

They are usually big choirs and no-one minds - really!! No auditions; just get stuck in and enjoy. Singing is for everyone, not just the musically gifted! That is exactly what these choirs are about.

I run a community choir and there are people in there who claimed not to sing in tune who are now doing brilliantly!

MiceElf Sun 30-Dec-12 13:03:08

Mishap, you haven't heard me sing! A very musically gifted friend once said the same thing as you and she offered to teach me for Lent. On Good Friday she admitted defeat. I can hear the melody all right but I cannot reproduce the note. I can hear that sound I make is wrong, but I can't put it right.

I believe the reason is that I had severe mastoiditis when I was three. I know that that is the critical age when the brain develops its musical awareness and I think the synapses never closed.