Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you do to De Stress

(52 Posts)
cheelu Sat 29-Dec-12 22:03:46

I thought it might help us if we could suggest ways to combat stress..One for me is defiantly walking....x x

crimson Sun 30-Dec-12 22:42:31

...me too....sad

Ana Sun 30-Dec-12 22:19:49

I'm still waiting.....confused

merlotgran Sun 30-Dec-12 22:01:32

I think I've waited all my life to retire. grin

annodomini Sun 30-Dec-12 21:54:44

I used to find that stroking a cat was my way of de-stressing. Now I have no cats, I just come on Gransnet. smile

hummingbird Sun 30-Dec-12 21:50:23

I'm with you, When, retirement sorted out my stress brilliantly! Now, I seem to float through the days in an oasis of calm. I sing in a choir - it's such a feel - good pastime that I call it my weekly Prozac! I sew, knit, bake and do the crossword. I have time to read, which is a great way of clearing the head. Bags, in my younger days I was an occasional dish-smasher. I think I got it from my mum, who thought nothing of dropping a plate in protest! These days, I'd think it a terrible waste of a good dish!

Ana Sun 30-Dec-12 21:28:23

I know exactly what you mean, Nellie, and plan to do the same tomorrow (minus the jigsaw puzzle - I'll start one of my new books). Can't wait! smile

Nelliemoser Sun 30-Dec-12 21:24:42

After days of getting exhausted and stressed out by cooking for Christmas day and post Christmas guests, and with DH for not helping much at all. Yesterday when DD & co had left. I opened a Jigsaw puzzle, ate leftovers and pre- frozen meals and chilled out.
Today I did the same. I am feeling much less tired. Total chill out and harmless self indulgence has done the trick.

cheelu Sun 30-Dec-12 20:56:58

I know how you are feeling, worse thing in the world not getting any peace, still just think of next week when the house will be all yours, you are one of the lucky ones, at least there is a light at the end of your tunnel!!

crimson Sun 30-Dec-12 20:39:25

I know; I am 'Mrs Angry' at the moment. I'll even be glad to go back to work tomorrow wink.

cheelu Sun 30-Dec-12 20:37:05

PS crimson I so know what you mean about the snoring, when I first got married and my husband snored it was awful!!! My son has to wear a machine at night due to his really bad snoring--husband not so bad now thank goodness.!!

cheelu Sun 30-Dec-12 20:33:51

crimson its soo funny every one of your posts in the last couple of days have been from an angry women!!! I think we will ALL be pleased when your guest goes home...just joking but mean it....

NfkDumpling Sun 30-Dec-12 20:23:39

Can't walk far enough these days so to de-stress I'm forced to take the less healthy option of a bubbly bath and a large glass of wine.

In my teens when exam stress loomed a group of us would go and stand at the end of the runway at RAF Coltishall (outside the perimeter fence) and scream as loudly as possible when the jets came over. I had the chance again recently and it's weirdly liberating!

crimson Sun 30-Dec-12 20:00:26

I think I've spent most of Christmas sleeping; I get very confused with these strange holiday periods where I wake up in the morning and can't remember if it's a work day or not. At the moment though I'm stressed as it's work tomorrow and the S.O. is lying on the sofa [he's now been here for 9 days and it seems he'll be here till after New Year [no sign of going home]]. I moved onto the sofa last night as his snoring was keeping me awake angry. My de stress next weekend is going to ask for a weekend to myself. I know this sounds awful to those of you that are missing people and on your own but, quite frankly, it's driving me up the wall sad. I used to do lots of walking but this weather just makes me want to hibernate. I love playing very loud music in the living room that blasts all over the house [but can't do that either at the mo]. Grrr....

whenim64 Sun 30-Dec-12 19:51:59

Happy retirement tanglerose. Now the fun starts....grin

tanglerose Sun 30-Dec-12 19:26:52

Must agree with Whenim - finished work last thursday and have not been able to stay awake for any length of time after years of waking up in the night worying and not able to get back to sleep. Am hoping the walking etc will kick in soon!

Butty Sun 30-Dec-12 18:57:03

Walk and shout. I try to do it at the same time, but that doesn't always work out. wink

glammanana Sun 30-Dec-12 15:53:02

I like to cook if stressed or change the bedroom around needless to say this does not happen very often.I did like to bang away with an iron but with the all singing all dancing thingy we have it is not possible,I could get a weeks ironing done in a couple of hours when I had on a major strop.

Barrow Sun 30-Dec-12 15:44:57

Me - I can't carry a tune in a bucket! In church I usually mouth the words but no sound comes out - I have no wish to offend the Almighty's ears!

If I am feeling stressed I try to lie down in a quiet room with my eyes closed for around 15 mins. Of course, that doesn't stop all the thoughts whizzing through my head but after that length of time they don't seem so important!

artygran Sun 30-Dec-12 15:44:00

Nanado, perhaps I should try a cooked sausage on a string! Bless him!

gracesmum Sun 30-Dec-12 15:37:24

Re singing - DH has a very musical friend he was at school with who once told him re his singing - "The thing is you know 2 notes. You sing one until it comes along in the tune then you sing the other."!!! [bless] emoticon

Grannyknot Sun 30-Dec-12 14:20:19

I like that granny23! There was an interview on the radio this morning with a woman who started walking when her mother died (she put on a backpack and set out and walked the whole of the Pacific Trail) I googled to find out more - www.cherylstrayed.com/wild_108676.htm. I absolutely love that her surname is "Strayed".

Granny23 Sun 30-Dec-12 13:21:11

I have a mantra which is from Climbing Suilven by Norman MacCaig. I recite this over and over to myself when I have to tackle something that I really cannot face.

^I nod and nod to my own shadow and thrust
A mountain down and down.
My lungs say No;
But down and down this treadmill hill must go.^

grannyactivist Sun 30-Dec-12 13:11:14

MiceElf your response produced an empathetic smile. One of my closest friends runs a choir (no audition) and my beloved mother in law is also a (high end) choral director; both encourage new members, but neither have ever come remotely near to asking me to join! grin

Bags Sun 30-Dec-12 13:10:52

if not of

kittylester Sun 30-Dec-12 13:10:46

I can't sing either, MiceElf but the reason is because my mother continually told me that I am tone deaf! angry