Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Whats the chances of keeping your new years resolution

(19 Posts)
cheelu Tue 01-Jan-13 17:07:15

I have a couple and really want to keep them. Have you kept all of yours-- if so please share the secret....

Marelli Tue 01-Jan-13 17:26:47

Haven't made any, cheelu! Did get dressed straight away this morning, instead of slopping about in my dressing-gown, but that's unlikely to continue! grin

glammanana Tue 01-Jan-13 17:28:23

Best advice is to not aim too high,this year I am going to learn to say "no" more often but if an emergency crops up that will obviously go out of the window.

Movedalot Tue 01-Jan-13 17:33:06

Make one you know you can keep! Mine is just to have as much fun as possible, too late for anything else. DH is sharing this one with me. smile

cheelu Tue 01-Jan-13 17:49:31

Ah thats brilliant Movedalot-- I have too by the way--movedalot, 10 places in 30 years..

Movedalot Tue 01-Jan-13 17:53:59

Although moving around has its downsides cheelu I think it makes us more independent and open minded that we might have been if we had always lived in the same place. I am therefore thankful for the things I have been forced to do because of our moves. When I return to some previous haunts I can see that people are the same and that I am the one who has changed be that a good or a bad thing.

cheelu Tue 01-Jan-13 17:57:01

I know that feeling M I do sometimes think it would be nice to have spent my life in one place but is really was not for me, my parents moved loads too, so second nature to me, it makes life interesting.. gonna settle now though....

celebgran Tue 01-Jan-13 18:05:11

usual lose weight, given myself a month to lost 8lb if not slimming world here I come!!

I am also going try counting to 10 instead of snapping at my dear OH.

LETS hope I succeed with both of them!!

Movedalot Tue 01-Jan-13 18:05:13

Me too. DH and I retired to the countryside 3 1/2 years ago and love our new home where we meet wonderful people and have a great life. We have a great theatre and access to everything we want so have no plans to move anywhere else. Maybe we will downsize when it all gets too much but that will be in the same town.

celebgran Tue 01-Jan-13 18:09:59

we been where we are for 26 years when t he house was built, raised the family here.

We actually lived in Frinton for 28 years and have always lived in this area, near Colchester when we first got wed as I worked there, and village about 8miles away was where I was brought up.

We have lovely friends here and belong to 2 social clubs so be foolish to move.

When our daughter was in our lives she asked us to move near her, does not seem possible now, then she realised our lives are here.
I also belong to frienship ladies club and got to acquacise twice a week which is a social thing too.
Maybe the house is little large, but we have good neighbours and only 5 mins from shops.

RINKY Tue 01-Jan-13 18:59:55

Am I weird at 66 to want to do the moving and organising again. I get such a kick out of it. Moved in with dad 18months ago and although the house desperately needs it, he won't hear of any redecoration, which I find really frustrating! It's a real shame as it is a lovely Victorian place. My own lovely flat is now tenanted after I got it just right bit by bit and feel I would love to refinance it and get another place to do up near dad then get tenants in there too.
I also have possibility of re-jigging and redecorating for daughter and SiL but am waiting to hear about that.
I just love the process and if I had the money would spend my time buying and selling houses. Crazy. I can see me at 90 with a paint brush in my hand while wheeling myself around in a bath chair.

Nelliemoser Tue 01-Jan-13 20:37:48

B*** all. grin

Nelliemoser Tue 01-Jan-13 20:40:11

That should have read B****r all! wink

Faye Wed 02-Jan-13 02:00:05

You sound like me Rinky. I love renovations and am currently trying to get an old three bedroom cottage on D2's land restored. The two front bedrooms have had their ceilings and walls pulled down by SIL a self emplyed builder and half has been replaced with insulation. I have chosen new kitchen cupboards and an oven. I can't wait to be in there and unpacking my things. Now my last property has been sold I can really get on with it.

RINKY Wed 02-Jan-13 04:27:39

Faye. So glad not only mad one around. My New Years resolution has to be to try and get dad to at least do one room a year....mainly to save us doing the whole blooming place when he pops hs clogs. Bless him I know he lacks energy now but all he has to do is sit and watch .... and tell me what I am doing wrong of course!

tiggercat Wed 02-Jan-13 09:32:40

I resolved to stop smoking completely. "Nature" decided to give me a hand. Woke up on Boxing day morning feeling absolutely dreadful.

Following day OH insisted on calling a Doctor to me ( I wanted to go to surgery and told him a Dr. will not come out) I was wrong - Dr. there within 20 mins. Been on antibiotics for 6 days feeling quite a bit better, but really do not remember alot of what happened for the first 3 days!

I do not crave a cigarette but have to stop the "Pavlovian" instinct after a meal of having one. I really hope this time I can stick to it.

kittylester Wed 02-Jan-13 10:46:18

I've only ever managed to keep one NYR - to always have fresh flowers in the hall! grin

Hope those of you who have serious resolutions manage to keep them. Happy New Year. wine

Wheniwasyourage Wed 02-Jan-13 14:24:02

tiggercat, best wishes for giving up! It's said to be harder than coming off heroin but as with heroin, you can come off with a bit of determination, which you seem to have. I remember my father, who gave up, like you, after illness (pleurisy in his case) said that it was much easier that time than the other times he'd tried, and he never regretted it, and lived many healthy years afterwards. Please keep us informed about how you get on, and remember, you can use GN as a way of keeping your fingers occupied if you get the craving! Hope you make a full, smoke-free recovery soon. flowers

Jodi Wed 02-Jan-13 14:40:23

Faye and Rinky I love decorating and renovation too. Moving into a cottage this week and can't wait to make it mine. I'll live with it for a couple of months just to get the 'feel' of it and discover what works and what doesn't - then just turn me loose grin wine sunshine hmm