Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My son just rang to say he is getting married!!!

(29 Posts)
cheelu Sat 05-Jan-13 22:24:32

I cried like an idiot and felt silly and embarrased after. But I am so happy that they are actually getting married and not just living together!!!!!!!!!I dont wish to offend anyone that has children living together, mine have too

Wheniwasyourage Sat 05-Jan-13 22:36:36

Congratulations, cheelu! Hope everything goes well for them flowers

numberplease Sat 05-Jan-13 22:46:59

Best wishes to them Cheelu. My youngest son got married nearly 8 years ago after they`d lived together for a few years, they`ve now been together for over 24 years. The other son got married 18 months ago after they`d lived together for 15 years, and youngest daughter wed last February, their son was almost 15 by then!

glassortwo Sat 05-Jan-13 22:51:12

cheelu congratulations ohh you will need an outfit smile My DD is married and DS lives with his partner and I cant see any difference in their relationships I think these days its all down to choice...... but something lovely to look forward to.

Grannyknot Sat 05-Jan-13 22:59:34

what lovely news Cheeloh congrats! I am still getting the hang of my Kindle Fire, and it won' t do your name smile

gracesmum Sat 05-Jan-13 23:00:25

That is lovely news and a great start to the year. Congratulations!

nanaej Sat 05-Jan-13 23:02:12

What a good start to your year*cheerlu*..enjoy the excitement and anticipation!

Sook Sat 05-Jan-13 23:10:24

Something to look forward to cheelu. Now we all want to know the date and what you will be wearing.

Ana Sat 05-Jan-13 23:11:16

So pleased for you and yours, cheelu! smile

cheelu Sat 05-Jan-13 23:53:34

Thank you everyone! I have just been told that the engagement party is on the 2nd February, so have to loose a few pounds and pick a nice outfit, so excited and so happy that they are getting married, I had lost all hope that I would ever see my sons get married, Yes something to look forward to, Have not been given a date for the wedding yet but hopefully I have enough time to loose a stone!!So nice to start the year this way....

grannyactivist Sun 06-Jan-13 00:02:15

Oh cheelu that is lovely news and I'm sure you have no need to apologise for your happy tears - I had both a son and a daughter get married last year and I thoroughly enjoyed both occasions. Will you wear a hat?

cheelu Sun 06-Jan-13 00:20:14

Maybe not a massive hat but perhaps something small, I want to look nice after all I have waited 27 years for this day!! I just keep wanting to cry, I am such a silly billy!!

Faye Sun 06-Jan-13 01:50:00

Congratulations cheelu exciting news and something to look forward to. My eldest daughter and SIL lived together for about six years before they married and today is her 12th Wedding Anniversary. My son and DIL lived together for about eight years and have been married for about eight. Youngest daughter and SIL got married in 2010 and she got pregnant with their second child on their honeymoon. I think they have all chosen the right person for them and that makes me very happy!

kittylester Sun 06-Jan-13 10:14:44

Brilliant news cheelu exciting or, if you are like me, stressful times deciding what to wear!

We had two weddings this year. DD3 ran away to get married and had a big party the next day and DD2 had a more 'traditional' one in a hotel. Both had babies before they married. DS2 has lived with his partner for five years. I fully expect him to turn up one day and announce that they got married last week and didn't bother to tell anyone.

celebgran Sun 06-Jan-13 11:02:26

Cheelu that is great news. exciting times ahead!
I would love my son to get married, his current partner is still not divorced as far as I know.
As long as he is happy and in our lives!! must be quite serious as his partner wants to bring her Mum to meet us next Sat she is here from S Africa for 3 weeks. He only met her in May but she has 2 sons 13 and 12

His previous partner (still in touch with her) well they were together for about 7 years but not sure what happened!!

My daughter had lovely wedding but look how she has treated us!

I am old fashioned and like to see couples marry but go with the flow nowadays!!

annodomini Sun 06-Jan-13 11:11:35

What a great start to the new year, Cheelu. My DS1 got engaged on the stroke of midnight 1st January 2000, the old romantic that he is! Now married almost 13 years. Other DS and partner have been together 19 years, since they were at Uni, now have two boys and still no wedding ring but they are equally committed to each other. It will be an exciting year for you and your family - enjoy it to the full!

Movedalot Sun 06-Jan-13 11:44:45

Lovely news. That is the best type of crying, keep it going and enjoy it. smile

jeni Sun 06-Jan-13 11:51:29

Lovely news!

Ella46 Sun 06-Jan-13 11:52:45

cheelu Congratulations! For me, as long as they are happy together that's all that matters.
flowers sunshine

glammanana Sun 06-Jan-13 12:01:16

cheerlu how daft are we when we start the tears,I was like that in December when DS2 got engaged to his lovely girlfriend they are setting the date for next September wedding so I have found with the help of the lovely and well sourced soop the mother of the groom site on e-bay and have found some fab idea's,not letting mr.glamma find the site though he may have palipatations and we don't want that do we,what he doesn't know won't hurt him.Enjoy the preparations I know I will and everytime I think of my boy walking down the isle with this girl I get very tearful.winesunshinesmile

soop Sun 06-Jan-13 12:42:46

cheerlu Happy vibes! Congratulations. glamma is so right. The site she mentions will keep you engrossed for hours on end. Tell us what it is you decide to wear. flowers

cheelu Sun 06-Jan-13 13:49:44

Yes just got teary again thinking of my first son walking down the aisle getting married, will have to grow a back bone or something because dont want to spend the whole entire day crying!!! Was thinking of a dress with a jacket always thought I would like that must must loose weight though, can not think of a better reasonsmile

yogagran Sun 06-Jan-13 13:57:32

Congratulations * cheerlu* that's a lovely way to start the year. Quite understand your tears, it's very emotional seeing your "baby" on to the next stage of his life

annodomini Sun 06-Jan-13 14:05:06

If you think you are going to get weepy, be sure to have some pretty hankies in your handbag. You don't want to haul out a pack of tissues in the middle of the ceremony when you could be dabbing your eyes gently with a dainty bit of lace. I had some nice Liberty ones but didn't need them at all!

cheelu Sun 06-Jan-13 14:26:23

Defently annodomini good tip thank you, Soo hit the nail on the head yogagran, with the baby bit, thats when I get teary when I think of him as a baby then think of him getting Wed--one small hitch though my other son mentioned earler last year, -- I was not on GN at the time-- that he was thinking of getting married but his girlfriend is not Christian and so I was soo confused about the ceremony and did not show the same excitment as when my son told us last night,,, so It has now been gently been pointed out to me by my eldest son,that I am to be also just as excited for younger son news of getting married....