Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My son just rang to say he is getting married!!!

(30 Posts)
cheelu Sat 05-Jan-13 22:24:32

I cried like an idiot and felt silly and embarrased after. But I am so happy that they are actually getting married and not just living together!!!!!!!!!I dont wish to offend anyone that has children living together, mine have too

celebgran Sun 06-Jan-13 17:36:08

oh yes is hard but have to try and treat both alike!!

sadly we only have the one in our life, but if my beloved son ever does tie the knot then we will push the boat out!!

RockNanny Sun 06-Jan-13 18:15:12

Cheelu Big congrats from me too! My DD got married in May. She had been with her SO (now my SiL) for a few years (sorry, memory, pfft!) and they were living together but didn't feel they could afford to get married, even though both of them really wanted to. I suggested they could scale back some of their ideas for the reception and offered them some financial assistance and that was it! DD was off and running grin. She had it all organised in just a few weeks but I had my outfit before she even had the ceremony booked grin. I, too, was worried about losing weight but, knowing my poor self-discipline, decided to make the best of what I've got, so to speak. I found a beautiful dress online then discovered there was a local stockist. I found it in the store the next day, with £15 off. Yes! Got a lovely, satin bolero jacket to go with it then had huge fun accessorising, with the help of good ol' Ebay wink. Yes, I would have loved to look slimmer in the photographs but the joy on our faces, and the lovely wedding day (I gave her away smile) made up for that.

cheelu Sun 06-Jan-13 19:51:23

Thats such a nice thing to read RockNanny you have made me rialise the importance of it all and not worry about sillyness Thank you.

celebgran one is precious, they must have had a lovely life getting all the attention and love x

notgrandma Sun 06-Jan-13 20:07:59

My son has 'popped the question' and things are afoot straight away! Engagement party... where to get married ,,lots of in depth discussions about church and religious meanings, venue , who comes???
I am trying not to 'give advice' being a veteran of 3 previous childrens wedding arrangements this is rather difficult, but the new bride has to do it wonderfully in her own style but I know my son and i can see he wants some input too! Will they actually make it to the wedding????