Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How did you meet your DH

(63 Posts)
cheelu Sun 06-Jan-13 23:28:32

I was with friends on an evening out and he was a friend of one of the people I was with, I kind of knew from the very first time I saw him to be honest....

Grannyeggs Fri 11-Jan-13 16:54:20

We met at a business dinner where my then husband was trying to persuade him to be a client. We got on like a house on fire and laughed all evening. Husband was not amused! I did not see him until four years later when his marriage had broken up and my husband had left me the year before for what turned out to be the mother of his son and his long term mistress! We have been together for 8 years and married for 5, he is wonderful and he still makes me laugh.grin

celebgran Fri 11-Jan-13 17:23:31

we met on blind date, and I was not ready to be serious, had another relationship on back burner, however he swept me off my feet and we got engaged 2 months later and married within the year! That was 36 years ago this year, some good some bad but pretty good on the whole he has been amazing husband!!

celebgran Fri 11-Jan-13 17:25:20

tanglerose that made me smile, I was a sat girl at Woolies when I was 15 think we had to be 15 way back in 1969 just before decimal currency and we had to work out the change!!
Doubt many youngsters could do it now in this calculator age!
seems like light years ago!

Nonu Fri 11-Jan-13 17:32:35

Were introduced by a mutual friend , 12 months later , were married .

Even after a breakup of 2 months .

Yesterday we celebrated 42 years of marriage .

Where , where , have those years gone .

Does not really seem possible , he still looks great to me .

flowers for him and me XX

grumppa Fri 11-Jan-13 18:33:17

We met at my local rugby club. She was the girlfriend of the other prop in the front row of the team I played in. I first bought her a drink late in the evening in the bar of a hotel where we were all on rugby tour. She had a G&T, I had a scotch; I was so nervous I poured her tonic into my whisky - a mistake I have not repeated in a year's 'courting' and nearly 40 years of marriage.

Nonu Fri 11-Jan-13 18:50:05

A sweet and lovin man .

smile

JessM Fri 11-Jan-13 18:53:12

I met my DH (my second) on a training course. it was my first week working for a water company. Gripping residential course it was, on understanding finance (company had just been privatised) About 20 men and me - a new experience for me, being such a male environment.
He was a young scientist (10 years younger than me) and confessed later that he had sat next to me because I was the only woman and therefore almost certainly more interesting than the water engineers.
I remember him regaling me about his job which involved dangling out of helicopters, throwing oranges and dye into the sea to track the currents, interesting stuff like that.
Six months later I concluded that he was the only eligible prospect encountered so far (there were a lot of men in that there company, but most of them very married and in any case not my type.) so I rang him up and asked him to a party.
he went to Hong Kong and I immediately got diagnosed with breast cancer. But somehow the relationship survived. We've been together about 22 years now - which sounds an implausible amount of time.

JAB Sat 12-Jan-13 19:00:50

I went on a trip to Coventry with a girl friend, it was her birthday and the trip was a present from her parents,we were both 15 she wasn't allowed to go on her own so I was asked to go, (you know how when you go on holiday families often pal up with another family, it was a family like this we were going to stay with, and she secretly fancied the boy in the family,)I said I wouldn't go if it meant I was going to be playing gooseberry all weekend so it was arranged that one of his mates would come along to keep me company. Once we arrived at the friends house, I was introduced to my companion for the weekend,and that was it 46 years later he is still my companion, husband and best friend. As for the girl friend she never saw her boy again and I lost touch with her soon after.

whitewave Sat 12-Jan-13 20:12:06

I was having one of many fights with my then fiance on the phone and DH, with whom I was working asked me to give him the receiver and announced that would he - my fiance kindly get off the phone and leave me alone as DH was intending to ask me for a date that evening. So he asked and I did!

Humbertbear Wed 06-Feb-13 13:37:54

We met on Valentine's Day at a dance. I was on a blind date with someone else and he was with a girl who looked like Elizabeth I. I was 17 and he was 21. We were married within the year, 45 years ago. We moved in together while I was still at school doing my A-levels and I used to go home to sleep occasionally. I don't know why my parents didn't realise what was going on. My children say I was wild which means I know for certain they were quite well behaved when they were growing up!

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Feb-13 23:02:39

We first met in a works canteen in Shoreditch. Then he gave a home to our cat when my then flat mates all moved out and I had to find a bed sit. I excercised visiting rights on the cat and then more or or less made that my second home.

Anne58 Wed 06-Feb-13 23:38:36

I found him under a gooseberry bush.

No, wait, that was the children!