Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What nice thing happened to you today

(123 Posts)
cheelu Wed 09-Jan-13 22:11:36

I sat and had an egg n bacon mc muffin in Mc Donalds--had not had one for a long time and really enjoyed it...not sure if grannetters eat Mac Donalds..hope I have not lost all my grannetters friends.....

gillybob Wed 09-Jan-13 22:26:35

Oh cheelu my daughter worked for Maccie Dees all the way through university, she then went on to do management training with them and has only recently left them to move on to something different. It's strange but when she worked there we almost felt obliged to have the odd Mc Whatever . My guilty pleasure was always a chicken burger!

Haven't had one for ages...... Must try one again just to see if they are still as yummy ! hmm

glassortwo Wed 09-Jan-13 22:30:03

Chicken chilli wrap if someone twisted my arm grin

Ana Wed 09-Jan-13 22:30:32

My guilty pleasure is a KFC fillet burger - DD and I always used to have one each when we went shopping....haven't had one for ages and like you, gillybob I feel I really must have one again very soon!

Anne58 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:34:40

When I used to travel in the course of my work, I used to try to make sure that I had time to grab a quarter pounder with cheese and a medium fries at Mac Donalds at Paddington Station before my homeward bound train left!

I would keep the receipt and put it on expenses, my boss said in that respect I was the lowest expenses claimer in the company!

Anne58 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:36:46

Ooops, that didn't really answer the OP, did it!

Nicest thing today? Hearing my friend so happy that her husband, who is only 61 and had a stroke the Saturday before Christmas, is coming home on Friday.

nanaej Wed 09-Jan-13 22:37:58

I managed to find some unusual birthday presents for family and friends at a local art /craft shop that had a sale on and I treated myself to a lovely lunchtime treat at a local cafe. Have not been to Maccie D for years ..my daughters stepson is on a management programme with them at the moment.

Gally Wed 09-Jan-13 22:53:06

I found a brand new hobby horse (which neighs) in a charity shop for
£3. The 16 month old got one for Christmas but his 2 year old brother keeps pinching it so he has to 'ride' the draught excluder instead! Now there will be no arguing grin

grannyactivist Wed 09-Jan-13 23:10:36

Today one of my neighbours called in with a gift for me. She decorates eggs (after the style of Faberge) to a very high standard - there's a Guild I think - she's a Gold Medallist. Anyway I've uploaded a photo for you to see, it's a goose egg that she's decorated for me and it's exquisite. smile

merlotgran Wed 09-Jan-13 23:19:15

DH installed my new double oven and hob. I wanted to pay for installation as, although it would have been like falling off a log before his stroke, I worried it might be too stressful for him but he insisted and has done a fantastic job. It's his birthday tomorrow so I've planned a few surprises for a (hopefully) lovely day. wine smile

Hunt Wed 09-Jan-13 23:25:22

My two lovely grandchildren plus my gd's boy friend came for an evening meal. I'm not much into cooking these days but I made a baked bramblejelly pudding with custard-it was yummy. I also showed my gd how I steam veg and she now wants a steamer to go with the omelette pan I gave her when I showed her how to make an omelette. A good time was had by one and all.

Anne58 Thu 10-Jan-13 00:44:21

Hunt that sounds lovely, the sort of thing that makes for a golden moment shared.

kittylester Thu 10-Jan-13 07:34:44

Glad your friend is well enough to come home phoenix. Is he going to need much after care?

The best thing to happen to me today was waking up feeling normal after having had nirovirus since Sunday. That means I can go out for lunch. smile

Grannylin Thu 10-Jan-13 08:56:52

Enjoy it kitty. Best thing for me, so far, was having 8 hours of undisturbed sleep- no OH home, no snoringgrin

shysal Thu 10-Jan-13 09:09:38

wow ga! The egg is fabulous!
The best thing that happened yesterday was that the sun shone! I am easily pleased. sunshine

whenim64 Thu 10-Jan-13 09:24:56

I love the egg ga. What a talented woman! smile

Nanado Thu 10-Jan-13 09:39:39

That's really lovely GA
Pleased to hear your friend is able to come home phoenix is he going to make a full recovery?
Happy birthday to your DH merlot I bet it gave him a boost being able to install your oven?
* gally* I own a whole herd of hobby horses most of them from charity shops smile
As for the rest of you McD's scoffing GNetters you should all be ashamed if yourselves !!! envy

Greatnan Thu 10-Jan-13 09:52:00

I put the last piece in place for my trip to NZ next month when I booked my flight from Auckland to Nelson. I had a lovely hour-long phone call with my daughter and we made lots of plans for my six week stay.

Anne58 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:25:33

Lovely egg ga !

Thanks for the kind wishes for my friend. He has made great strides so far, but will need a fair amount of physio to (hopefully) get full use back in his left side. His speech has come back very well, he is laughing and joking and sending text messages, so mentally he seems pretty good. I have put a bit on the "Hooray" thread.

Greatnan when do you actually go?

kittylester Thu 10-Jan-13 10:37:43

Brilliant egg ga

phoenix good luck to your friend. You will be a brilliant help for him - just don't take him out with the dogs until he is REALLY steady on his feet.

He and his wife might want to look at the Different Strokes website which is for younger stroke survivors and has loads of useful leaflets etc. There is also a forum, a newsletter and also some groups for when he is up to it or fancies it.

Recovery is a bit of a roller coaster, often 2 steps forward and one step back (literally!) and quite emotional.

jeni Thu 10-Jan-13 11:03:06

Great egg. I'm trying to teach myself to do these. It's not easy.

Greatnan Thu 10-Jan-13 11:11:04

I leave on 12th February and return on 26th March, having cleverly missed most of the Winter here! I will be taking my new Kindle Fire 7" tablet rather than my laptop, so I won't be posting much as it does not have a compatible keyboard and I find it too slow when having to tap letters out on the screen! However, I will be logging in every day to keep an eye on all of you, and I will try to post a daily joke. Perhaps I can access some Kiwi jokes.

j07 Thu 10-Jan-13 11:24:09

these make it a lot easier Greatnan. (I find anyway). Someone on here recommended them to me.

Greatnan Thu 10-Jan-13 11:57:48

They do indeed, jingle - I bought one in my sister's local pound shop - for £1, of course!
After so many years of using a normal keyboard, it does take time to get used to the touch screen - especially having to change from letters to numbers and punctuation marks. I see young people tapping away on their devices and my youngest grand-daughter can send texts whilst her phone is in her pocket!

Ana Thu 10-Jan-13 11:59:06

confused How on earth can she do that?