Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What nice thing happened to you today

(124 Posts)
cheelu Wed 09-Jan-13 22:11:36

I sat and had an egg n bacon mc muffin in Mc Donalds--had not had one for a long time and really enjoyed it...not sure if grannetters eat Mac Donalds..hope I have not lost all my grannetters friends.....

Howjado Sat 02-Feb-13 17:54:01

Thanks for your kind messages. My first grand child is due 11th Aug.
DD is now asking what name do I want to be called. What are the options?

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 17:55:55

Happy times ahead!

harrigran Sat 02-Feb-13 23:52:14

Congratulations Howjado many options, I am Grandma but on here there are Grans with unusual names too smile

hummingbird Mon 04-Feb-13 00:38:02

Thank you for all your lovely good wishes! And how particularly lovely to be called 'a bright young thing! (Thanks, Anno!). Congratulations Howjado, you're in for a wonderful time. I'm just called nannie - I like it, really, and could never see myself as grandma. smile

glassortwo Mon 04-Feb-13 09:44:23

hummingbrid happy belated 60th birthday for Friday same day as mine. flowers wine cupcake
Howjado congratulations on the impending arrival flowers

gillybob Mon 04-Feb-13 10:06:55

Hello Howjado Congratulations. Well there's Gran, Granny, Grandma, Nannie, Nana, Nan.

Up here in the North East I have also heard "Mar Mar" which I think is derived from a young child being unable to get their tongue around "Grandma" and has just stuck! grin

Personally I like to be just Grandma

Howjado Mon 04-Feb-13 11:11:53

I think I will opt for Grandma. I never had grandparents alive on either side, so no tradition to follow. In fact, thinking about it, this whole thing about being a grandma is going to be a big learning curve as I have no experience from my own past.

Ariadne Mon 04-Feb-13 11:27:08

Hello, Howjado and welcome. You must be so excited - I can clearly remember when our first grandchild was expected...smile

Gagagran Mon 04-Feb-13 12:07:38

Welcome from me too Howjado! I never had grandparents on either side like you but it has not in any way hindered my huge love and enjoyment of my four lovelies!

I have always been "Granny" - sometimes "Gran" and can reassure you that I had no problems with a learning curve - it's instinct! Someone once said to me that babies bring the love with them and mine certainly did. Yesterday my eldest DGD gave me a big hug and said I was the best Granny in the world - better than anything - just joy!

I wish you all the very best enjoyment and love in the future - whatever name you finally decide on! flowers

Greatnan Tue 05-Feb-13 08:03:18

Congratulations, howjado - I had no grandparents either - I was the last of my family and my mother was about 42 when I was born and her parents had died in their 70's. However, after the tenth grandchild I thought I was getting the hang of it! I have always been Nana, then Nan as they got older, but my great grand-daughters call me NannyNoo - nobody knows why!

The nice thing that happened to me today was a long telephone call from my daughter in New Zealand, telling me some of the things she has planned when I get there next week.

kittylester Tue 05-Feb-13 10:44:02

The nice thing that happened to me yesterday was getting home after a really gruelling day volunteering and having a lovely cold glass of my favourite wine. I thoroughly enjoy my 'job' but yesterday was really challenging.

london Tue 05-Feb-13 14:57:28

the nice thing for me yesterday was my DD got out hospital hopfully for good this time x

Butty Tue 05-Feb-13 15:59:14

Let's hope so, london. smile

Grannylin Tue 05-Feb-13 16:31:37

OH has just emailed me a booking reference for return flights to Nice in May when hopefully I will be mobile after hip op in March!At this rate I might be tempted to promote him to DH grin

kittylester Tue 05-Feb-13 16:41:17

Lovely london and hope so too. flowers

How nice Grannylin wine

Gally Tue 05-Feb-13 16:53:27

Grannylin wink

grannyactivist Tue 05-Feb-13 17:19:10

Grannylin that's really lovely. smile
Nice thing today.........youngest son took me out for lunch on the spur of the moment. I really appreciated it. He's a grand lad. wink

janeainsworth Tue 05-Feb-13 17:36:10

Ooh Grannylin I'm envy !!
My DD2 lived in Nice for 6 months 10 years ago and we had lovely times there.
She took us to this cafe where we sat on cushions on the floor drinking and smoking substances of uncertain origin!
Also took the bus for 1 euro each to St Jean Cap Ferrat - beautiful.
We went back a few years later and DH gained maximum Brownie points by booking us into the Negresco Hotel for a nightgrin
#thatsortofthingdoesnthappenveryoften

Grannylin Tue 05-Feb-13 18:08:19

Thanks jane, I'll remember that.Have also been with my DD and had great fun.Am looking at renting a house for the week in the area but the Negresco for the night might elevate his status!( that doesn't sound quite right grin)

soop Tue 05-Feb-13 18:15:42

It couldn't happen to a nicer person. smile
Welcome aboard Howjado flowers

Oldgreymare Tue 05-Feb-13 18:56:42

Grannylin my favourite place envy Do use the '1 Euro bus' to visit Villa Ephresi Rothschild (Bus stops at the end of the drive) also the Villa Kerela (sp) nearby and on the bus route.

howjado Howjado nice to meet you smile

harrigran Tue 05-Feb-13 19:12:32

Grannylin envy love Nice. We like to stay at Chateau St Martin in Vence,only twenty minutes from Nice.

glassortwo Tue 05-Feb-13 19:20:19

grannylin envy
London thats fantastic your DD getting home fingers crossed wont have to
go back in flowers
grannya that was a nice surprise sunshine
wine wine wine to you all who need it grin