Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone seen Mrs Brown's Boys

(62 Posts)
cheelu Sat 12-Jan-13 22:11:11

Its hilarious and on BBC Saturday nights Trust me you will laugh--get a clip to watch from google--I dont know how to add a link..

Nelliemoser Sun 13-Jan-13 14:01:28

I saw an early episode but I strongly disliked the constant use of the F word and didn't watch again.
I am not prudish about the word, I use it when so moved but I feel there are much better ways of getting laughs than saying F* all the time. There is a place for the word in comedy but it needs to used with discretion. A bit more intelligent and funny writing from the scriptwriters would be better! I don't know if it has improved.
Father Ted however is a classic. Totally sureal and very funny. As others say it is comedy that will not date. Like Dad's Army.

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 14:16:12

Nelliemoser I can understand that, we are all different arent we smile

Nelliemoser Sun 13-Jan-13 14:24:42

but cheelu there has to be more to a comedy that the constant repetition of the *F word. It gets a laugh, probably ready canned, but its not essentially funny.

Nelliemoser Sun 13-Jan-13 14:26:00

Sorry the highlighing wasnt meant to be like that. blush

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 14:28:00

Yeah I do get what you are saying Nellie, but it really makes me laugh, I actually laugh out loud, Maybe intelligent people dont find it funny--that is a compliment by the way x

Marelli Sun 13-Jan-13 14:31:57

Mrs Brown is Brendan O'Carroll. His wife is the daughter and several of the cast are family members. I don't think the swearing is what actually makes it funny - it would be funny without it.
I can watch episodes of Dad's Army over and over again and just love it. Same for 'Allo, 'Allo! grin

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 14:34:29

Really!!daughter is his wife, I didnt know that, but he must be quite a bit older than her then...

Marelli Sun 13-Jan-13 14:38:35

I think he's perhaps in his mid to late 50's - she would perhaps be in her mid 40's do you think?

Ana Sun 13-Jan-13 14:38:39

Only about 10 years older, apparently, cheelu.

Ella46 Sun 13-Jan-13 14:46:16

cheelu Thank you so much for recognising the fact that I am intelligent!
I've been telling people for years grin

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:03:57

Oh my word--I might have said the wrong thing here!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEANT THAT I WAS NOT INTELLIGENT I was not saying anything other than that--This just shows how un intelligent I can actually be sometimes, by not realising that I could have offended people saying that... SORRY I just meant me, I just meant that towards myself...

glammanana Sun 13-Jan-13 15:13:14

I class my self as very intelligent ( a bit dizzy blonde sometimes) but I find Mrs Brown's boys very funny it gives a bit of light relief but I appreciate the fact that it is not to everyones taste,there was a recording of the programme in Liverpool just before Christmas and the tickets had been sold out since August so very popular indeed.

Ella46 Sun 13-Jan-13 15:18:36

cheelu grin Relax!

marsco Sun 13-Jan-13 17:10:37

Definately not canned laughter Nelliemoser, i went to Glasgow last year where they made the last series. Tickets were free and we spent almost 4
hrs there just for them to make one episode.We had a great time never stopped laughing. Most of the cast are related, great viewing,hilarious.

Ella46 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:19:36

marsco Is this a first? I thought you were Head Lurker? grin

Marelli Sun 13-Jan-13 17:32:03

marsco - Head Lurker indeed! It was you who told me about Mrs Brown's Boys - you couldn't believe I'd never watched it! grin
Mrs Brown reminds me of my late mother-in-law.....same cardigans, same knickers, same way of walking about clutching a tea towel. Old J didn't swear though wink but she did have a very risque sense of humour wink.

marsco Sun 13-Jan-13 17:36:32

No Ella not a first . thought i better make an effort re the Burns Lunch i will be attending on the 25th, looking forward to meeting everyone again .

merlotgran Sun 13-Jan-13 17:44:35

I didn't realise the woman who plays the daughter is Brendan O'Carroll's wife. That explains why there is such good chemistry between them.

marsco Sun 13-Jan-13 18:12:35

Winnie who plays Mrs Browns friend is his sister in real life.

Marelli Sun 13-Jan-13 18:15:04

And is one of the boys not his son? Is it Buster?

marsco Sun 13-Jan-13 19:41:41

Yes Buster is the son.

gillybob Sun 13-Jan-13 20:06:49

It makes me laugh out loud too cheelu but there again I do like that kind of "simple, silly" humour. I love the fact that things often go wrong with props falling over and the camera man popping into shot every now and again. I would thoroughly enjoy watching one of the live recordings which I could imagine would be a scream. My husband hates it by the way, but there again he is a man with - an almost non existent a complicated sense of humour. [ grin]

Ariadne Sun 13-Jan-13 20:54:08

It is totally pantomimic, undemanding and crude. But I like it! No intellectual processes involved, because it is so unreal!

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 20:54:42

oh yeah me too gillybob, I loved it when the camera man broke a window!!, it really is like taking a pill to heal all when I watch it.....

gillybob Sun 13-Jan-13 23:14:48

The fact that it is so "pantomimic and undemanding" is why I like it Ariadne . I know it's not to everyone's taste but it makes me laugh.

Yes I agree cheelu a good laugh does you the work of good ! smile