Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you believe vitamins work

(170 Posts)
cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 14:23:42

I take vitamin B1 and vitamin B2 most days, I certainly believe that they work, do you take vitamins and do they work......

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 14:42:21

Since I was unwell before Christmas I have been having a Berocca (or Boot's own brand equivalent) everyday.

All psychological I am sure but I do feel better energy wise and feel fitter and more able to resist reinfection!

Ana Sun 13-Jan-13 14:44:19

I sometimes take those as well, nanaej and I swear the next day I feel more energized!

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 14:58:29

Ana wink i am sure it does work, one way or another!

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:00:56

nanaej why do you think it is psychological, dont you think they actually have anything in them?

janeainsworth Sun 13-Jan-13 15:00:57

I started taking Brewers' yeast when I was breastfeeding 36 years ago and have taken it ever since. Also take cod liver oil capsules, sea kelp and glucosamine.
An oral surgeon I once worked with used to prescribe multivitamins to all the old ladies who were referred to him with sore mouths - very common in the sort of old lady that wears ill-fitting dentures and lives on tea and toast.
The thinking was that, in older people absorption of nutrients is less efficient, so there could be a vitamin deficiency even if the diet was ok.

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 15:14:53

cheelu only because I eat loads of fruit and vegetables as part of my usual diet so should get all the Vit C I need that way! i understood that your body only absorbs the Vit C it needs..I suppose I may not be eating as much vit C as I thought and the Berocca is helping! real or imagined benefits either way am happy to drink it!

Ana Sun 13-Jan-13 15:16:22

And it does have lots of other vitamins and minerals in it as well, which we might not be getting from diet alone.

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:21:08

I think I will try some Berocca. I certainly need some extra energy at the moment..Thank you for letting me know abt it..

Mishap Sun 13-Jan-13 15:21:29

I suppose it depends what you mean by "work". Do they do what you expexted them to? - if so, then they work, either scientifically or via the placebo effect.

But you can have too much! - especially B vitamins.

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:24:26

Yeah they say if you are having too much B vitamin it turns--sorry--your wee a funny colour--but I am confused as to.. does it mean that if it does that then your body does not need the extra vitamin...

Ana Sun 13-Jan-13 15:32:44

cheelu, the Tesco, Asda and Boots versions of Berocca are much cheaper and contain exactly the same ingredients.

jeni Sun 13-Jan-13 15:38:04

Ah! But is the bioavailability the same?
If you take brewers yeast with your vitC it absorbs better.

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:42:05

Thank you x

Barrow Sun 13-Jan-13 15:59:47

A couple of weeks ago I started taking a multivitamin every day and I think it led to my being so depressed last week (thanks again to you all for your kind words), I stopped taking it last week and my mood has definitely lifted - it might be coincidence but the rest have gone in the bin!

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 16:07:47

What it is Barrow, when we are low we don't think straight and try to find a reason for our lowness, its all Psychological--were you down due to vitamins, its a possability, were you right to throw them out, yes deffently, How do I know, because it sounded like something I would do when I was low, and I can relate to what you are saying. You are just not thinking the way you would normally dowhen you are down... IMHO it is usually due to some kind of stress, were you are doing more or experiencing more than your mind and body are comfortable accepting...

crimson Sun 13-Jan-13 16:13:41

Isn't zinc terribly important to take when we're a bit run down. Strepsils used to have zinc in them but no longer so do.

Nonu Sun 13-Jan-13 16:44:38

Goody , goody .

I do take Brewers yeast with my Vitamin C .
Plus of course Cod Liver oil tablets
sunshine

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 17:01:02

Zinc is important for all sorts including immune system. Found in fish, shellfish, meats, nuts , seeds, bread etc & our bodies do not store it so need to keep eating the right stuff..or take a tablet!

Fondasharing Sun 13-Jan-13 17:10:43

Here is my current list:
Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2, B Complex, Omega 3's, Evening Primrose Oil, Probiotics (not a vitamin), Zinc, Vitamin E and Magnesium Citrate. Also take linseeds, chia seeds together with pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds every day which contain lots of good natural vitamins.

I have taken certain supplements every since the menopause. I do believe they help me to feel very healthy...it could all be in the mind.....but I do lots of research....buy them from reputable companies, and vary them from time to time depending on how I feel or what I am going through at the time. My diet complements the vitamins and I am fortunate enough not to need any prescription medicines at all....long may it last!!

I am sure JessM will be commenting on all this section very soon! Always look forward to her input on these matters.

JessM Sun 13-Jan-13 18:04:54

Wow fonda (I like that abbreviation... is it you Jane?)
There is really not much evidence that supplements work, unless you are really deficient. (obviously if you have scurvy a vitamin c pill would work)
Antioxidants and vitamin C had lots of hype, but evidence lacking.
It rather seems as if you cant get away with a rubbish diet and a handful of pills. Doesn't seem to work like that. Best to eat a good varied diet.
Vitamin D is shaping up as far more important than C for all kinds of reasons. I notice that the annoyingly named immunace (not that we are claiming to be good for your immune system are we...) had recently ditched the vitamin C and now includes D (this is based on a tube advert only).
So in the winter I take cold liver oil capsule, one a day, to keep me topped up.
(Boots own brand)
We should await further research with interest.
Zinc is needed by the immune system and worth taking for a few days if you have a cold as it makes symptoms a bit less bad. But normally there is zinc in so many foods - no evidence that it prevents colds.

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 18:11:00

jessm I am confused, do you think they work?

Greatnan Sun 13-Jan-13 18:25:31

I just have a healthy, balanced diet and I have not had even a cold in years. The only pill I take is a 2.5 mg Ramipril, the minimum dosage, to keep my bp down - today, after an hour's walk, it was 126/70. At 72, I am fitter and healthier than I have ever been.
I am extremely sceptical about all dietary supplements and non-prescription pills. They certainly work very well to make lots of money for the manufacturers.

Grannyknot Sun 13-Jan-13 18:33:51

greatnan it is so inspiring to read someone say that at 72 they are fitter and healthier than they have ever been. That's really something to aspire to. I used to be fit, hike in the mountains, run, etc etc. Since living and working in London my fitness has slipped away. So I try and walk everywhere, but I know that's not enough and I don't feel fit and I am at least a stone heavier than I was 10 years ago. Keep inspiring me!

Greatnan Sun 13-Jan-13 18:55:45

Grannyknot - come and be my guest - I will show you walks with some of the most beautiful views in the world!
I worked in London for many years and I drove everywhere, ate and drank far too much and felt sluggish and unfit.
Now, just to stand on my balcony and look at the silver forest opposite, or up at the clear skies at night, is the best medicine anyone could every have.