Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New handbag advice?

(20 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 14-Jan-13 10:08:15

Nelliemoser that did make me smile !

Nelliemoser Sun 13-Jan-13 23:28:26

phoenix Do you want it waterproofing? Get a proofing spray. Most of those waxes like dubbin, nixwax. gwax smell dreadful!

It won't do you any good going to an interview dressed to up the nines with your handbag smelling like a youth hostel boot locker! grin

Hunt Sun 13-Jan-13 23:26:59

Our leather chair supplier recommended some preserving leather wipes from Wilkinsons. They might do the trick for your hand bag.

harrigran Sun 13-Jan-13 22:48:41

I wouldn't use dubbin on a bag, it tends to stay a bit greasy. I used to give my walking boots a good coating after washing off the mud, but that was many moons ago.
Waterproof, protective spray is easy to use and does not mark.

annodomini Sun 13-Jan-13 22:26:39

Baby wipes are good for keeping bags and leather furniture clean. If they don't do the baby any harm, they won't damage the leather. I hope.

york46 Sun 13-Jan-13 22:22:49

Russell and Bromley do a neutral handbag cream which I use on all my handbags and it gives them a nice shine.

Grannyeggs Sun 13-Jan-13 21:31:12

I agree , don't use dubbin, but use the special leather protector you can buy.

Humbertbear Sun 13-Jan-13 21:23:21

I sometimes use a protective spray on leather bags and shoes. To clean them, a face wipe is pretty good.

Anne58 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:31:33

oooh, there's fancy, isn't it!

Ana Sun 13-Jan-13 18:04:42

The reason I said that was because they actually do sell dubbin in different colours now (I googled!).

Anne58 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:59:03

Dubbin is neutral, I wouldn't use black polish for the reason that Ana said.

Ylil Sun 13-Jan-13 17:45:04

On a leather bag, especially a more expensive one, I've never ever cleaned them with anything. And they still look good as new!

annodomini Sun 13-Jan-13 17:40:35

Doesn't dubbin smell a bit iffy? Neutral shoe cream might be better if you must use anything.

glammanana Sun 13-Jan-13 17:32:40

phoenix well I for one will thank for asking the question as I have never thought of dubbing for my old black leather bucket bag,I am sure it will bring it up a treat it's a bit weather worn as I have had it over 20yrs and is scuffed in places I will get some when in town and do a revamp on my old trusty bag.

Ana Sun 13-Jan-13 17:31:00

I wouldn't use black, though, in case it came off on your clothes - have you got neutral?

Anne58 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:30:13

Take your point, Ella ,and will def. do a patch test, but was wondering that like leather furniture and shoes benefit from being treated with appropriate products, the same might apply to bags?

Anne58 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:27:45

That's what I was thinking Ana , plus sort of a layer of protection against scuffs etc.

Ella46 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:26:32

I think I'd do a small test patch underneath first.
Why not just buy a protective spray, it's a lot easier.

Ana Sun 13-Jan-13 17:18:57

I've never used dubbin on a handbag - never thought of it! I suppose it might keep the leather more supple...confused

Anne58 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:14:16

Hello all,

Sorry to start 2 threads asking for advice in a pretty short time, but I treated myself to a new black handbag in the sales, (£35, reduced from £90) as my other one was starting to look a bit tired (like it's owner) and I do need to create a good impression at any interviews I might get.

This bag is sort of a cross between a large handbag, and a sort of work type bag, in that it will hold a small laptop (that I haven't got) but still has compartments for all sorts of other stuff. In my previous job I had a laptop with a case, but it was a bit "utility" and I felt I still needed a handbag as well.

Anyway, the question is this, I have some dubbing in the shoe cleaning box, should I give the new bag a bit of a going over with it before using it, or just leave it as it is?

Thank you!