Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fear of flying--is there a real cure

(36 Posts)
cheelu Tue 15-Jan-13 17:45:40

I hate flying because I am chlostraphobic and my son has just told us, he is getting married in Malta....what am I gonna do..........

His girlfriend has said to him how will your Mum make the wedding and he told her that I would not miss the wedding and so it will do me good to be forced to face my fears---I obviously don't agree..and I dont want to face my fears at all..

j07 Tue 15-Jan-13 22:02:17

Don't know why that came out dark.

jeni Tue 15-Jan-13 22:36:34

Hypnotherapy can work very well indeed and I would prefer people used that rather than Valium. The BA course has also been very successful.
I never used to like flying initially but now, it's no problem. It's just the journey to he's throw, then check in, then the wait, dead boring!

j07 Tue 15-Jan-13 22:53:52

Just remembered! The doctor gave my daughter beta-blockers. Seem to remember they helped her. Kept the anxiety at bay.

crimson Tue 15-Jan-13 23:07:43

Wonder if Paul McKenna has a cd about it? I found his stop smoking one very good; not sure if it stopped me smoking but it's very relaxing.

mollie65 Wed 16-Jan-13 18:09:06

cannot stand to fly myself. Remember being told before my first flight in the 70s - to malta - that I would be fine once I had flown. Have made short hops since when absolutely necessary but went to Canada (via New York) on the Canberra and came back on the QE2 as I could not face a long flight. It is claustrophobia and something else called 'not being in control' I think.
My son who obviously never flew when he was young and under my wings as it were - has absolutely NO fear of flying and enjoys it all. I suspect had he seen me as a gibbering wreck when he was young and on a flight with me - he would not be so sanguine. smile
is there a cure - I wish there was.

jeni Wed 16-Jan-13 19:00:54

Yes hypnotherapy CAN help

j07 Wed 16-Jan-13 19:04:30

Take the tablets! hmm

absent Wed 16-Jan-13 19:09:15

I was terrified of flying and still don't like it much but being determined not to pass on my fears to a seven-year-old helped me behave sensibly. However, I shall never forget being on the last plane to take off from Nantes in the gales of 1988/9 (?) – I swear we took off sideways. Once in the air, we hit a batch of turbulence and when it was over, absentdaughter smiled sweetly and said "Can we ask the pilot to go back and do that again?" I can cope with any of it now – including flights of 30 something hours to the other side of the world. (I still hold up the plane by the arms of the seat.)

However, if it's a real issue – what about cars, trains and ferries? Must be possible – just a bit time-consuming.

harrigran Wed 16-Jan-13 21:13:06

You just need to take the bull by the horns and leave the drugs alone, flying is not that scary ..just like being on a bus.
Is that you absent welcome back smile

cheelu Thu 17-Jan-13 01:44:03

Being hypnotised scares me big time..I think taking the bull by the horns is a good one.....and def having someone with me that is not afraid of flying will probably help too..Thanks everyone for you invaluable help x x