Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Missing my son

(85 Posts)
Happygran1964 Tue 15-Jan-13 23:48:59

My youngest son aged 21 met his first girlfriend three months ago and is head over heels, which is lovely but I hardly see him these days as he is always at her place, student digs.

I am very happy for him and she seems to be a lovely girl but I have only met her twice so far, I offer him the chance to stay over at ours and he knows that she is always welcome but they just seem to always want to be at hers.

I feel a bit hurt as he recently spent twelve days at her family home up in Cumbria yet they don't want to spend any times at ours.

I have always been really close to my son, the baby of the family, and am mourning the loss of that closeness.

Just feel really sad.

Greatnan Wed 16-Jan-13 18:40:11

Jess, I am sure you know that I am not so naive as to think emigration suits every family - you have to be a certain kind of person to make it work. I have watched many programmes in the series where the couple were totally unrealistic about the level of salaries and the price of housing in NZ
For myself, I would rather have a go at the big adventure than spend my life wondering 'what if'.
My own daughter tells me she sometimes feels the separation from the three children that remained in England very keenly, but the three who are in NZ absolutely love it and would never return. She also realises that with six children and an adventurous streak the chances were that one or more would jet off somewhere!

merlotgran Wed 16-Jan-13 18:41:07

Phoenix, I am so sorry to read of the tragic loss of your son flowers I have never really listened to the words of 'My Heart Will Go On' but reading them puts the song in a different light and shows how appropriate and hopefully, comforting you must have found it.

Happygran Your son's first serious relationship will be hugely important to him. The novelty of spending so much time with his girlfriend's family will wear off and if you are friendly and welcoming, she will want to spend time with you as well. Be patient. smile

JessM Wed 16-Jan-13 18:48:52

I'm not arguing against it greatnan but for a moment there you were sounding a bit one sided about it. grin
story it gets a bit blooming tedious doesn't it, being the grown up and realising that mum's emotional needs are way down the list of priorities with the offspring. C'est la vie though isn't it for most people. It often makes me feel a bit uneasy when adults are being overly solicitous about their parents' feelings. Maybe because my mother did not keep hers to herself as much as i would have liked hmm

Sel Wed 16-Jan-13 19:56:33

storynanny and therein lies a tale I suspect smile You may be called to account for multiple exclamation marks I believe. However, sod 'em say I grin Why is your grin fixed?

JessM Wed 16-Jan-13 20:05:35

It is shorthand for putting a brave face on it sel and smiling insincerely as you wave them through the departure gate at Heathrow. Or up the gangplank or whatever. Gottit?

j07 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:28:56

phoenix really unnecessary. Sorry.

johanna Wed 16-Jan-13 22:37:26

phoenix flowers

j07 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:46:00

Happygran I think it's a fact that girls do tend to keep their boyfriends either to themselves or take them home to their own family. I wonder if a girl might feel potentially challenged by her boyfriend's mum and therefore tries to keep him away. It sounds as though she is very young in your son's case. Hopefully she will come round if the relationship becomes long term.

Sel Wed 16-Jan-13 22:59:15

JessM I am sorry if you read my post as insensitive - I was merely making an opening remark to a poster who's name I hadn't seen before. Having read your profile I see your children are both many thousands of miles away so my question to storynanny obviously grated.