Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do MP's do a good job of running this country

(40 Posts)
cheelu Wed 16-Jan-13 00:25:13

My problem with MP's is some of them are making decisions on subjects they know nothing about. For eg the Prime Minister that we have now, I dont know much about him because as said I dont really follow any party apart from Green Party but he is making major decisions and making massive changes to poor people financial situations, instead of teaching them how to fish he is removing the only fish in the water that are left, In other words pulling the carpet from undrneath them but offering no way out... If he is trying to make cuts why doesnt he start with the people he employs that receive ridiculous salaries. I dont wish to offend anyone and I may be ignorant to other stuff but it is my laymans humble opinion..

gillybob Wed 16-Jan-13 20:36:14

Absent is that you? Are you back with us? You have definitely been missed. smile

annodomini Wed 16-Jan-13 20:50:58

It was the cabinet style of local government that made me retire as a councillor. I saw the system as putting too much power in too few hands, and I knew whose hands those would be and I didn't trust them.

nanaej Wed 16-Jan-13 21:26:40

anno exactly what I have hard from other ex-councillors..disillusioned with the lack of democracy and open debate. It is beginning to attract ego driven politicians into local politics and not the more value driven ones!

annodomini Wed 16-Jan-13 21:42:45

'beginning'? Sadly, it's well established and one particularly egotistical one of my acquaintance managed to get into Parliament and is doing nicely with the coalition. Creep!

Lilygran Wed 16-Jan-13 21:44:41

nanaej I'm sure what you say about what's happening in local government is true and can't help the general disaffection with politics. But the responses I got on doorsteps were more than twenty years ago !

nanaej Wed 16-Jan-13 22:00:04

anno agree..should have said 'It is beginning to attract even more ego driven politicians...'

lily I think once the two main parties got closer in their policies it made it hard for the electorate to align with one or the other and they could not see it mattered who they voted for as they appeared the same!

absent Thu 17-Jan-13 09:48:30

I would suggest that the worst recent political scandal was the issue of MPs' expenses – and that isn't over yet by any means. How could that be so quickly forgotten?

As far as MPs being out of touch with the electorate is concerned, the fact that a sizeable number of them thinks that they "deserve" a 32% pay rise, while other public servants have to make do with 1%, says it all.

Greatnan Thu 17-Jan-13 09:53:11

I would say it was a toss up between the expenses scandal and the revelations of the close links between politicians, the newspapers and the police. Not forgetting the illegal war. Really, the whole lot stinks!

absent Thu 17-Jan-13 10:05:24

True Greatnan but the expenses scandal was such a prolonged piece of corruption.

Thinking about illegal wars, on what basis is the RAF flying French equipment to Mali?

gillybob Thu 17-Jan-13 11:36:09

Well Absent Probably on the basis that we are keeping the French sweet for the time when we are fighting for control of the aircraft carrier that we will be sharing with them.

Yankee Thu 24-Jan-13 17:52:22

I think that to be a really effective MP, you should live on minimum wage. Then things would change for the working person, services would improve to
Bring about a more equitable society.

absent Thu 24-Jan-13 18:01:23

MPs couldn't run a bath.

Divawithattitude Thu 24-Jan-13 23:24:01

No

Divawithattitude Fri 25-Jan-13 16:43:00

Well that was a bit of a conversation stopper!!