Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Quick question - help!

(17 Posts)
Ariadne Sun 20-Jan-13 10:04:18

Just defrosting some leftover lentil casserole to add to today's soup. Are lentils OK Deforsted and reheated? Don't want to poison anyone! Thanks.

janeainsworth Sun 20-Jan-13 10:09:03

Can't think if any reason why they shouldn't be ok ariadne provided that you bring the lentil casserole to boiling point and maintain it at boiling point for about 10 minutes.
Sounds lovely!

absent Sun 20-Jan-13 10:14:22

Should be fine and dandy Ariadne but might be a bit sloshy in texture.

Ariadne Sun 20-Jan-13 10:40:57

Thank you! I will unslosh it, absent. It will be "enthusiasm" soup! smile

Nelliemoser Sun 20-Jan-13 11:34:36

Aridane They should be fine just heat them through properly. I have never had a problem yet and been using them for years. Cooking big batch and freezing is a good way to have some available for a quick meal.
I have ginger and garlicky lentil curry, left overs from yesterday to have for lunch, a bit over cooked this time but I blamed Gransnet for that. wink

Very pungent but very tasty.

Anne58 Sun 20-Jan-13 11:48:23

I often make lentil and bacon soup and always freeze some of it. Never had a problem.

Lilygran Sun 20-Jan-13 11:53:25

Lentil and bacon! Mmm...

Tegan Sun 20-Jan-13 12:21:41

I'm sure lentils are ok but can the dreaded kidney beans be frozen and reheated?

Grannyeggs Sun 20-Jan-13 12:30:16

I'm sure they are Tegan, I have often made casseroles with kidney beans and frozen and defrosted them successfully. As *Janeaiansworth says, it's all down to reheating it thoroughly.

JessM Sun 20-Jan-13 12:59:51

its raw kidney beans you have to avoid.

Mishap Sun 20-Jan-13 13:12:52

Re-heating is not always a solution. There are some toxins that are heat-stable - this is why reheated rice can be a problem. The toxins form as the rice cools and sits around being warm, and no matter how much you reheat it/boil it you are still at risk. And there is no way of knowing what has happened - until you find yourself on the loo!

I never take risks with rice - don't know if the same applies to lentils.

Lilygran Sun 20-Jan-13 13:19:22

I keep reading this about reheated rice and one DS won't eat it but we've been eating reheated rice for years and never been ill from it. I think if you cover it after serving, refrigerate as soon as possible and reheat thoroughly it's OK. I understand the problem with rice and pulses is not that they are subject to special toxins but that they have so many surfaces which can become contaminated.

Mishap Sun 20-Jan-13 13:27:12

It is just a matter of which bacteria are sitting on the rice - if it's one that produces the toxins then you've had your chips; if it isn't, then you are fine - as you have thankfully been lilygran - so far! But it is a gamble.

Ariadne Sun 20-Jan-13 15:35:03

Thank you, everyone! I use lentils a lot; as a vegetarian they are a staple for me. But I've never frozen a lentil dish (usually none left over). Anyway, added lots of mushrooms, a potato to de slosh it, a bit more garlic and it was excellent. Yum!

wisewoman Sun 20-Jan-13 16:31:11

Have been freezing lentil shepherd's pies and lentil soup and lentil bolognaise for years. Always like to have a stock for visits from vegetarian son. No problems at all. Also have been freezing left over rice for years. Have I just been lucky?

Ariadne Sun 20-Jan-13 19:58:42

I do worry about rice...

JessM Sun 20-Jan-13 20:32:15

Yup takeaway rice that have been kept warm in transit and then people have been dipping spoons in and then left around in a nice warm room and eventually put in the fridge. That would be a good way to incubate a few food poisoning bugs.