Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Large gift for number two

(36 Posts)
overthehill Tue 22-Jan-13 16:13:47

Hi everyone

We are expecting grandchild number two in the summer. For number one we bought the pram and accessories which was quite expensive but we wanted to do it.

Now number two is coming along 5 years later not quite sure what to do present wise. Daughter has still got all the things from when the first one was a baby.

What have others done, did they spash out again or was it low key?

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 16:19:39

We just did the big think first time round. They don't need so much for the second and we don't know how many we may have eventually so didn't want to create a precedent.

merlotgran Tue 22-Jan-13 16:24:24

Five years is quite a gap so there might be something that you daughter would like that wasn't around when the first baby was born. Most parents pass on large items from baby to baby but it's nice to have something new and up to date and it doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

Lilygran Tue 22-Jan-13 16:31:18

Congratulations, overthehill! We found that there were plenty of expensive items no 2 etc needed, later on. Buggies, car seats, cots for example.

j07 Tue 22-Jan-13 16:35:09

I would stick to nice new clothes for the baby. So he/she doesn't have just hand-me-downs.

Granny23 Tue 22-Jan-13 16:43:22

Speaking as a second DD I am in two minds about this as I seemed to spend my entire childhood with my sister's castoffs, from bikes to party frocks. As a mum, I resented that MY 2nd DD got hardly any cards or gifts compared to the first. Surely number two deserves some new things - a new cot matress for one thing. We bought a small new cot and bedding for our DGD as her big brother was still using the cot bed we had bought for him. We also topped up her bank account because far fewer friends and relatives sent money for No.2.

whenim64 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:05:17

I agree with Granny23. Treat each one the same. Just be thankful it wasn't two sets of twins! My, those pram systems are expensive, but lovely to push around when it's your turn to be out and about with precious cargo smile

In the first year, items like the Jumperoo, playpen, travel cot, car seat, changing station are all very useful if they don't already have them....or even a year's supply of nappies.

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 17:20:26

Have you asked your daughter what she would like? If she is happy to use what she already has that's fine but some might like new after 5 years.

I don't subscribe to the theory of treating them both the same as the first present wasn't really for the baby to appreciate it was more for the parents. I do agree that when they are old enough to notice you should be conscious not to favour one over another but neither of them will care about a travel system.

whenim64 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:30:27

Travel systems are for the benefit of the parents (and dare I say, grandparents) Moved. grin Babies aren't aware of anything being new or handed down at that age.

The presents my grandchildren appreciated as babies were things like blankies, rag dolls and soft toys. smile

j07 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:32:29

Mum is aware of it though.

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 17:43:28

When and aren't they complicated? I was asked for my opinion on which one to buy and when I started looking I soon gave up and said just tell me which one you want and I'll get it!

whenim64 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:45:23

Yes, Moved you need a training course to fathom them out! grin

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 17:47:19

And a big bank account to pay for them! Talk about the Rolls Royce version! grin

Ana Tue 22-Jan-13 17:54:00

And a big boot if you're taking it anywhere by car!

j07 Tue 22-Jan-13 18:05:51

And they are like tanks to push. No pram pushing enjoyment whatsoever. hmm

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 18:06:44

Loved the prams on Call the Midwife

glammanana Tue 22-Jan-13 18:48:29

movedalot DD still got hers in the loft at her house its coming down for the little man she has just fostered.

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 19:01:39

smile Glam

Mishap Tue 22-Jan-13 19:05:32

Perhaps something that you have made yourself.....that adds a value that is not monetary.

Kali Tue 22-Jan-13 19:40:22

I'd just ask what they're short of or if there's anything they would like.

harrigran Tue 22-Jan-13 19:48:27

We bought buggy and car seat for first GC. By the time second GC was on the way the cot had self destructed so I offered to buy a new one. DS and DIL said a friend was giving them a second hand cot so no thanks. I told them they must really have a new mattress and I would buy that, well the cot was not a standard size and the mattress and a spare cover cost me more than a new cot in Mothercare and the previous cot linen didn't fit either.

grannyactivist Tue 22-Jan-13 19:50:19

Pushchairs now can cost four times the cost of my first car!!

Movedalot Tue 22-Jan-13 19:55:06

No GA not something a simple as a push chair these days - a travel system is the only thing! [grin}

Kali Tue 22-Jan-13 20:14:11

My new(ish) car costs more than 3 x my first mortgage!

Kali Tue 22-Jan-13 20:15:27

Perhaps open a Junior ISA as this new one will not be eligible for the £250 Trust Fund that the first one had?