Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grannys Moving In

(10 Posts)
Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 13:47:56

This is a BBC Documnetry about a daughter that has decided to have her elderly Mother than has Dementia move in with her, you can watch it on BBC IPlayer, sorry dont know how to do link

In my opinion due to the grief the daughter gives this women, would she have been better left to be dealt with by the authorities, I say that because there was alot of ill feeling coming from both the daughter and the son in law.

Have a watch and see what I mean.

Ana Thu 31-Jan-13 13:49:45

Is this an old documentary, Mey? If it's the same one I watched, the granny gave a good as she got!

glammanana Thu 31-Jan-13 15:01:49

When was it on mey just being lazy as it will save from going right through all the programmes.smile

Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 15:44:40

last night galmm

Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 15:46:51

Yes that is true Ana but why did they take it on if they did not want to,

Mey Thu 31-Jan-13 16:02:55

sorry to post again but do you know what I never ever want to be that kind of a burden on my children, I would sooner be taken into care, anything other than that. I have already told my children this.

Gibbs Sat 16-Feb-13 15:36:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

merlotgran Sat 16-Feb-13 15:44:40

Don't get me started on supported living or assisted care or independant living or whatever you like to call it. It's fine while the residents can remain independant but God help the families when they can no longer do so. The staff are not trained for nursing care and I think they expect the elderly to be very obliging and pop their clogs before they need round the clock attention.

There's more to these places than meets the eye.

ninathenana Sat 16-Feb-13 16:22:54

Sorry Gibbs have you ever lived with, cared for a parent with dementia ? I did for 3yrs. I had to retire to do this as mum wasn't safe to be left
There comes a point, where your own heath and mental well being make residential care the only option. Believe me at times it was a burden. I know several people on another forum who would agree with me.

I know my mum would hate to think I'd looked after her out of "resposibilty"

kittylester Sat 16-Feb-13 17:14:30

Nina, I agree! I could never have my mother live with me especially in her current state.