Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where can you buy teapot lids?

(8 Posts)
Lilygran Thu 07-Feb-13 14:25:25

I knew about the posh china and have used Royal Worcester but not about the on-line services. I was thinking more of the old not-valuable much-loved and the most recent casualty which was a Christmas present. blush

whenim64 Thu 07-Feb-13 09:55:41

You can also contact the manufacturer. I have a 100 year old tea set that's made by a factory that was taken over several times, but they have all the back catalogues and referred me to a collector who helps with their museum of porcelain and bone china, and she found a couple of pieces for me.

Manufacturers like Spode do their own replacement pieces.

annodomini Thu 07-Feb-13 09:45:09

I used to find replacement lids on a market stall.

dorsetpennt Thu 07-Feb-13 09:42:56

handy - especially if you have a particularly favourite or nice teapot - if the lid breaks on mine, buy a new one.

Lilygran Wed 06-Feb-13 14:50:47

Thanks very much!

whenim64 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:26:17

Here's another:

www.teaantiques.com/acatalog/tea-antiques-missing-a-lid.htm

whenim64 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:24:16

There's quite a few sites for missing pieces of china Lilygran. I built my grandmother's teaset up by looking on the various ones, also on Ebay.

Chinamatches and Chinasearch are two of them. Just Google and lots will show up. If you know the name of the set your teapot comes from, Google that, too. Good luck!

Lilygran Wed 06-Feb-13 13:59:21

Years ago, I knew of several china shops where you could go and look through a bin of assorted lids. Does any Gransnetters know if any of them still exists anywhere?