Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which computer technology do you use?

(15 Posts)
Grandmanorm Sun 10-Mar-13 13:38:11

I have an iPad which I love, but the one big grievance I have with it is that you cannot delete photos on it easily.
I also have a MacBook Air which is fabulous as you can use a wireless mouse with it. I has loads of card games on it which I hope is keeping my brain functioning!!!!!!

annodomini Sun 10-Mar-13 13:02:41

I am happy with my laptop and also use a cordless mouse for some activities - games, desktop publishing, for example.

LullyDully Sun 10-Mar-13 12:14:50

Quite happy with my laptop.

MrsJamJam Sun 10-Mar-13 11:28:31

I have an android tablet, which I am just getting to grips with - slowly! But I find I return to the laptop when I need to type anything more than a couple of sentences (so many typos on the over sensitive tablet screen), when I need to print, when I want to download and edit photos, when I do our household accounts (which are on an excel spreadsheet).

Tablet is lovely for some things, but is not a complete substitute for the laptop.

My father (88) has used a desktop for a long time. He would find it extremely difficult to cope with the trackpad on a laptop, or the total change that a tablet would introduce. He now finds it really challenging when updates change the look of a web page - even if to the rest of us the change looks minor.

I think when talking about computers for 'silver surfers', the speakers are thinking about the 60/70 year olds. Needs change into the 85+ years and this is going to become more and more of a problem. I have no answer to it.

Bez Sun 10-Mar-13 07:45:51

Thank you - will look into it.

janthea Sun 10-Mar-13 07:45:29

I love my iPad and like others rarely use my laptop.

Ariadne Sun 10-Mar-13 07:44:44

We haven't had a desktop for a while now - just two laptops which live in the study mostly, but are mobile for when we are both working.

But I mainly I use my IPad, which I love.

MiceElf Sun 10-Mar-13 07:34:30

Bez, you can get an app called Pages for an iPad. It does all the eord processing that you might need.

Bez Sun 10-Mar-13 07:14:51

I find the lack of word processor on the iPad a real drawback as I like to do any official letters on the computer. OH does not like the touch keypad either and will only use the iPad when absolutely necessary. Having said that he does not like the mouse facility on a laptop - very much a PC man.

Humbertbear Sat 09-Mar-13 23:44:08

I have to support the iPad fans. I print from mine via an app and rarely switch my laptop on. However laptops are cheaper and perhaps your students are more likely to be able to afford a laptop for themselves?

feetlebaum Sat 02-Mar-13 14:45:15

I prefer my clunky old desk-top over my much hotter lap-top... but then I go back to the days of dumb terminals!

Mind you, the desk-top is going to have to go - it just can't keep up with today's demands on processor speed, and the RAM is maxed out at 1GB.

Galen Sat 02-Mar-13 12:42:18

I rarely use my macpro these days but I live on my iPad!

Lilygran Sat 02-Mar-13 12:26:49

I've hardly used the laptop since I got the iPad just over a year ago. I print with no problems from a really cheap HP wireless printer. I think if I was writing something quite lengthy, I might prefer Word on the laptop but as I haven't had to yet, I'm a very satisfied convert. I taught beginners computing for a couple of years to over 50s and I think the tablet format would be much more user-friendly and less intimidating than a desktop or even a small laptop.

shysal Sat 02-Mar-13 12:03:19

One of the drawbacks with tablets is that you cannot always print from them unless the printer is compatible. Apps are available to help, but the models listed are still limited.
I love my Samsung tablet, but really prefer my laptop with added mouse for accuracy. My fat fingers make typos all the time on the tablet, and the touch screen doesn't always behave as I expect!
Perhaps, if funds allow, you could provide a choice.
You are providing a great service, I taught myself about 10 years ago and my ability is still only basic, wish I had had the chance of tuition.

Stoneyloon Sat 02-Mar-13 11:28:50

Hi

Since retiring I volunteer as a tutor at a charity that seeks to help elderly people get access to computing.

We have been running for a number of years and have been quite successful, indeed our services are increasingly in demand.

We are evaluating the suitability of adopting Chromebooks and Tablet Computers (Andriod Tablets and iPads)as our hardware platforms of choice.

Has anybody got any experience of using any of these and how suitable do you find them?

Any advice/ feedback much appreciated.

Thank you