Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help!!!! recipe fo 10" square chocolate sponge needed.

(12 Posts)
LullyDully Tue 12-Mar-13 16:40:12

Bags

Am making your Dump and Bung cake with DGS for a school Red Nose Day bake off. On your promise that it's good we hope for big things. Have some red icing to decorate . So many thanks .

PS He loves to cook, he is 6 and his speciality is apple crumble.

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-13 19:12:33

Android finger or what blush

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-13 18:29:37

Android finger or what blush

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-13 16:12:16

Thank you Hilda for your concern. Part of the problem was that I started organising myself, which usually works but then the measurements wouldn't go away. The good news is that gransnet came to the rescue [flowers[

bags glad you ditched the courgettes - my least favourite veg. grin

Jf the cake is presentable, I'll put a photo on my profile.

HildaW Tue 05-Mar-13 12:51:38

Easily remembered formula is the old 'weight of egg' thingy.
To convert is to the bung it all in together just add a level teaspoon of baking powder for each egg. I am now with Mary Berry in going back to using soft marg (stork) or similar rather than butter for ease of mixing. The addittion of a vanilla essence makes up for not using butter.
P.S. kittylester - sounds like you are coping with a bit too much stress, that always ups the anxiety levels making one almost beside oneself worrying about stuff that is hardly earth shattering in cold light of day. Does not make the worrying any less unpleasant though! Yes lack of sleep makes it even worse. Hope you get your equilibrium back - its horrid when life just gets too much.

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-13 10:39:05

Thank you all. I was awake at 3am as Dh couldn't sleep confused but he read for a while and then went off again, snoring. angry That left me wide awake planning the manic week ahead and then I had a panic when I couldn't find the recipe. I usually only panic about things that REALLY matter not just Seb's chocolate birthday cake confused I put it down to lack of sleep grin

Ariadne Tue 05-Mar-13 09:19:33

My "chuck and bung" cake recipe (in recipe section) is great for larger quantities - just add two ounces of dry stuff to every extra egg!

Bags Tue 05-Mar-13 08:51:24

The original recipe used grated courgette (8 oz) but I think banana is better.

Bags Tue 05-Mar-13 08:49:16

Add more flour if it seems runny (or less banana).

Bags Tue 05-Mar-13 08:48:22

Made this one for Minibags's fifth birthday to share out at nursery school. I used an oven-bottom pan so it was shallow, but a 10" square should work.

6 oz plain chocolate
7 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz sugar (caster if fussed, but I aint)
2 L eggs
6 fl oz veg oil
2 mashed bananas

Sift dry ingredients together
Beat oil with eggs
Melt choc over hot water

Mix all together.

Bake

Icing if required: plain and milk choc melted with a dollop of butter and a dollop of golden syrup. Smarties to decorate.

shysal Tue 05-Mar-13 08:45:22

Hi kitty, don't panic!. The basic all - in - one recipe is:
3 oz SR flour
1 oz cocoa
4 oz caster sugar
4 oz softened butter
2 eggs
A little milk if required.
Mix it together and bung in the oven at 180C for 20 mins.
For the bigger cake I would multiply by 3 and cook for longer. It might cook more evenly if you bake two layers separately. If there is too much mixture eat it raw - the best bit!
Good luck, hope the party goes well.

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-13 08:18:50

Panic! Seb is having his 6th birthday party on Saturday and Ive lost my recipe for just an ordinary chocolate sponge, but for a 10" square tin - can any one please help? I've been sorting out my recipe folders and think I must have thrown my usual one away. sad Of course it will probably turn up on Sunday!