Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I am looking for a bit of help

(32 Posts)
Jadey Tue 05-Mar-13 13:40:55

Hi My Son and partner have been seperated for two years and they have a little boy aged four.

Recently my grandson has been asking my Son to go and live with him, he gets quite upset when asking and does cry. His Mum has had to call my son a few times as grandson is crying for his Dad.

It is extremly heartbraking, My son has considered going back with his x for his son's sake but they argue consistently on a daily basis and just bring out the absolute worst in eachother.

I feel so lost with this and feel my heart literally breaking.

whenim64 Fri 14-Jun-13 18:03:57

Hi Wiz there's lots of support and similar experiences to your's and your son's on here, and my son faced this when he disclosed he was dating someone after his marriage had ended a few wees earlier. He was met with frenzied threats because he would no longer put up with hs ex's abuse and we had a rough time, but the court sorted it out and admonished her for trying to alienate my grandson from his dad. Keep going, and if he is offered mediation, he should cooperate, even if she doesn't - it will be viewed unfavourably if she doesn't allow him to share the parenting with no good reason.

Wiz Sat 15-Jun-13 10:01:57

His ex was very abusive both verbally and physically towards my son and that is why he left as he could no longer put up with it. He assures me that she wouldn't hurt the baby and I really hope this is the case. Hopefully it will be sorted out in the courts as I don't think she would go to mediation. They tried before they split up but she could only see her point of view. I can't understand why someone would deny their child a family life for no reason. My son only wants reasonable contact not custody and before all this happened they often spent days together as a family. So sad.

Maniac Sat 15-Jun-13 10:35:35

Wiz My heart goes out to you .There are many grans on this site (including me) who are in similar situation.and family courts have not helped at all.
Yesterday I met with other 'denied contact' grans in our local bi-monthly group.We had an animated discussion about the news of father who painted 'HELP' on queens portrait.I can understand his despair.
Love to you and your son.

Mishap Sat 15-Jun-13 12:51:14

How very sad it is when children get caught in the crossfire of a failed relationship - grandparents can be a real port in a storm for these troubled little ones.

annsixty Sat 15-Jun-13 13:32:50

I remember a quote,source unknown, that a parent can only be as happy as their unhappiest child. This has certainly been true in my life and the more posts I read it is probably true in many others
Good wishes to all.

Aka Sat 15-Jun-13 13:40:14

"AUSTIN, Texas 2011 — Despite the fact that middle-aged parents are no longer responsible for their grown children, the parents' emotional well-being and life satisfaction remain linked to those children's successes and problems — particularly their least-happy offspring, research from The University of Texas at Austin shows."

The study, led by Karen Fingerman, was published in the Journals of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences.

It's very true sad