Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Green Coffee Beans for weight loss

(33 Posts)
Jadey Wed 06-Mar-13 12:05:15

I received an email about Un roasted Green Coffe Beans, which is a weight loss aid, stating that a trusted Doctor in America called Dr OZ, that has his own TV Show, has given it the thumbs up and claims that it does work by making your metabilism work more effeciently.

(I have watched Dr Oz before on TV and he does seem quite good)

No need to diet or exercise and an allowance of 2400 calories per day.

Does anyone know anything about this at all.

j08 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:17:32

It's not gonna work.

j08 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:18:10

If you eat 2400 cals a day you will need to do a heck of a lot of exercise!

feetlebaum Wed 06-Mar-13 12:19:14

Doctor Oz is noted for talking tripe on Oprah Whinfrey's show - he promotes all kinds pf pseudo-scientific nonsense.

I would avoid daft claims like this at all costs!

HildaW Wed 06-Mar-13 12:23:48

I doubt this is of any merit.
Basic rules of weight loss is that you eat fewer calories than you expend - and as JO8 states 24OO is a lot...even for a big strapping bloke!
Methinks you need to upgarde you spam filter Jadey.....this is up there with the stuff to make certain bits of blokes longer!

soop Wed 06-Mar-13 12:24:00

Jadey...if it sounds too good to be true, then it surely is. Do as jings and I do...get yourself an exercise bike and pedal away for all you're worth. wink

Jadey Wed 06-Mar-13 12:30:49

I think the posts are the sound of reason and I feel a bit like the light has been switched on, but am still open minded as someone may have tried it and has something good to say, you never know.

I usually aim for 1600 calories myself, does that sound the norm, I am trying to loose a stone.

feetlebaum Wed 06-Mar-13 12:39:38

From (of all places) the Daily Mail recently "while the plant compound behind the beans' green color is believed to limit glucose absorption, which could help people shed pounds, it's more of a theory than a thoroughly vetted conclusion."

Mehmet Oz is a surgeon, but he is also into all kinds of 'alternatives' - he is known to have had a Reiki master in his operating theatre, and endorses
homeopathy.

It may be that green coffee beans have some virtue - but wait until proper studies have been carried out.

j08 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:41:30

this is my bike It's small, and I have it in the spare bedroom (with my desktop 'puter so I can watch tv while I'm on it)

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-13 12:44:41

Here is the view of Scott Gavura in "Science-based medicine"
science-based medicine

Dr Oz has a new weight loss miracle for 2013 - red palm oil

soop Wed 06-Mar-13 12:46:54

Mine is very similar. V-fit AC2 Beny UK Sports Ltd As I rule, I like to burn off 125 calories per day. Not a lot...but every little helps! And now, I really am getting off this computer!

j08 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:49:36

grin me too!

JessM Wed 06-Mar-13 13:10:57

OZ is a supplement peddler. It is a huge and lucrative industry selling people pills and potions. Suggest you ignore.

Galen Wed 06-Mar-13 13:56:22

Jing, is the saddle comfortable and do you have to use your ankle a lot.
This is a serious question as I would like one but using my ankle a lot flares it up!

j08 Wed 06-Mar-13 14:03:53

The saddle is suprisingly comfortable Galen. Obviously it's not going to be overpadded as it has to help you do the job, but it has got enough give, and it is nicely wide.

I don't think the ankle joint does come into the action. You just push straight down from the knee. It's not like the pedal action of riding a real bike.

Galen Wed 06-Mar-13 14:09:54

hmm thanks jing I might think about it!smile

Jadey Wed 06-Mar-13 18:45:26

Elegran thank you for the article I tried to read it but it seemed to go on forever, my brain started to hurt and it was confusing.

There should be a law against LIEING aout products. I am sure there must be one!! [hmm}

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-13 19:36:27

There probably is a law, but the promoters of these things stay just this side of it by not actually lying but using misleading "trials" which involve a small number of participants, or participants who are likely to give the results they want. Then they write up the results to show that their product is wonderful.

I can't praise this book enough - "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre - a readable account of how to estimate how likely it is that a claim that something is a new miracle cure will be true.

Jadey Wed 06-Mar-13 22:55:24

Thank you Ellegran

feetlebaum Thu 07-Mar-13 10:20:48

Yes - agree 100% - Ben Goldacre's book is a must-have... I like the chapter heading 'Why clever people believe stupid things'.

Elegran Thu 07-Mar-13 10:41:18

I have just posted a link to an article on Quackwatch on a similar topic. See thread on "Health" called "Pernicious books" (The Quackwatch report is not the pernicious bit!)

And I have just downloaded a further chapter to the book, which Ben Goldacre could not include because he was being sued about it. It is here

JessM Thu 07-Mar-13 11:00:18

There are no miracle supplements - not vitamins, not drinks, not herbs nada. When after researching my book on the immune system my conclusion was, if you don't get lots sunshine then take vitamin D. Eat a healthy diet. Stop smoking if you do. All these pills and potions are snake oil.
I agree Ben a hero.

Orca Thu 07-Mar-13 11:48:45

Agree about Vit D JessM there's also a rational discussion in the scientific community on taking small amounts of additional B12 as we age, due to poor absorption, alteration of stomach acids, etc. Have you come across this in your research?

JessM Thu 07-Mar-13 11:57:06

no but i do like a rational discussion. smile will look it up.

Nelliemoser Thu 07-Mar-13 21:03:31

"Bad Science" is a brilliant book. Ben Goldacre also has a website.
?bad science.net.