Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How to motivate yourself

(49 Posts)
Jadey Tue 12-Mar-13 13:40:53

Would do you do when you are feeling de flateted..........What works........

Jadey Sat 16-Mar-13 21:16:28

Thank you Anasmile

Ana Fri 15-Mar-13 21:09:31

Good luck, Jadey - you can do it! smile

Jadey Fri 15-Mar-13 21:07:32

thank youcelebgran smile

celebgran Fri 15-Mar-13 20:52:59

Well done jaded grit your teeth and ignore the sisters if they choose not make you welcome you are only doing it for OH. Very best luck flowers

annodomini Fri 15-Mar-13 20:52:33

Good for you, Jadey. No sooner are you at cruising height than the seat belt signs go on again and you're on the way down! Good luck.

Jadey Fri 15-Mar-13 20:50:52

thank you Elegran

Jadey Fri 15-Mar-13 20:41:05

I'm off to Scotland next week, thank you for your help, have decided to fly because as said its only an hour smile

Elegran Fri 15-Mar-13 20:34:40

Here is a list of airports in Scotland There must be one of these near where you are going, though some of them do not have direct flights from London.

Elegran Fri 15-Mar-13 20:30:48

What part of Scotland, Jadey ? There are several airports, and then perhaps you could hire a car for the rest of the journey - you can stop and get out of a car anywhere. (Well, perhaps not a good idea to get out in the middle of a motorway......)

annodomini Fri 15-Mar-13 19:35:01

Could you go up to Scotland by air? It's so quick you might not feel too bad - though hanging around in airports isn't much fun.

Ana Fri 15-Mar-13 19:02:19

Jadey, I'm not particularly claustrophobic but I'd imagine a plane or car would be worse than a train? There are lots of windows, and unless it's a non-stopping one, lots of places where you can tell yourself you could possibly get off if you really had to. Why did you tell DH you'd go with him if you knew what a problem it would be? confused

Orca Fri 15-Mar-13 18:49:36

Jadey this is not about you. Your DH has lost his father.
If you are claustrophobic and you find it hard to travel in trains, or on planes or indeed in a car, then your life must be very restricted? Is this the case?

lilybet Fri 15-Mar-13 17:24:27

I go into the garden and pull as many weeds out as I can in 10 minutes. I then sit quietly with a cup of tea and reflect on the past year. This usually ends with a few tears and smile or two. My Mother always did this and most of the time it worked for her. I now do the same and somehow it really works for me.

Jadey Fri 15-Mar-13 17:14:22

thats so true anno about his sisters smile

I am chlostraphobic thats why I hate tains, I am such a coward I know

annodomini Fri 15-Mar-13 16:50:21

What is it that you hate about trains, Jadey? If you can think this through you may be able to isolate something and come to terms with it. Would it help you if you splashed out and went first class? Surely your husband would be very hurt if you didn't go with him and probably his sisters would find another reason to dislike you.

Orca Fri 15-Mar-13 16:20:22

Galen I sail an RS Vision. It's a great little boat and if I fancy company it's roomy enough. Do you sail?

Jadey Fri 15-Mar-13 16:13:38

Some grannetters may know that my Father in Law died a few days ago and his funeral is being held next Thursday PROBLEM he was from Scotland we are in London and I said to my husband that, so that he would not have to go up there alone, I would travel with him but I HATE trains and am dreading it sooo much plus his sisters are not too kind to me, I have no idea why as we have never had any kind of dis agreement BUT how can I let DH down!!!!!!!!

Galen Fri 15-Mar-13 15:38:00

orca envy what do you sail?

numberplease Fri 15-Mar-13 15:22:22

Baubles, sorry,flowers one of your remarks has been attributed to me in the Gransnet newsletter.

Orca Fri 15-Mar-13 15:02:23

Go sailing. The open sea, the wind in your hair, the company of a good dog. What more could you ask?
Return to land relaxed, tired but content and invigorated. Bliss.

dorsetpennt Fri 15-Mar-13 14:04:56

I'm with you Galen baking and eating cake smile. As for these books to write in, couldn't be bothered sounds a bit organised for me . Going for a walk along the prom is nice, or the Forest if I'm lucky, if I'm really down I go visit the grandchildren - they would bring a smile on the saddest face.

janerowena Fri 15-Mar-13 11:48:19

I finally realised that I must have SAD, as nearly all my down times are in the winter. So apart from forcing myself outside (very hard when down) at every show of a spot of sun, I take St.John's Wort. It's brilliant. It's come in very useful at times for all sorts of family and friend deaths and disasters too, without having to resort to going to the Drs and taking something worrying. This time of the year is worst, especially after a long grey winter like this one. I can't help wondering if we suffer from it more as we get older. I get more and more sluggish both physically and mentally with each passing year, but in the spring and summer I have loads of energy.

Oldgreymare Thu 14-Mar-13 23:44:17

number smile

numberplease Wed 13-Mar-13 21:44:51

I sit and think about which furniture items and other stuff I can legitimately take with me when I walk out, by the time I`ve worked my way through the house, in my mind, the argument`s over..............and we`re getting ready for the next one!!

Ana Wed 13-Mar-13 18:50:22

Movedalot, that's a very good point.