Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

"brass" door fittings

(9 Posts)
Ariadne Wed 13-Mar-13 18:04:10

Stainless steel, black, sounds good to me! Can't stand all this fancy stuff. I will talk to Theseus now that he's up and running again. (well not quite running but near enough!)

glammanana Wed 13-Mar-13 15:53:08

Most door handles and knob's now seem to be that sprayed stuff and never looks clean,I have replaced all mine with stainless steel including the plug sockets looks so much better against white doors.

harrigran Wed 13-Mar-13 15:21:34

Very difficult to keep looking pristine and that is why all handles and knobs in my house are brushed stainless steel.

absent Wed 13-Mar-13 13:09:54

You could try making a paste of bicarbonate of soda with a little water. Put the paste on a soft cloth and rub it over the brass. Wipe clean with another soft cloth. When it is clean, rub it with a light coating of mineral oil or olive oil. You can also use toothpaste (not the gel type) to clean brass.

If all else fails, try rubbing it very very gently and in one direction only with extra fine steel wool. Once it is clean, apply a thin layer of Brasso and rub off according to the manufacturer's instructions.

kittylester Wed 13-Mar-13 12:31:00

We gave up with 'brass' and now have black door fittings. I can't say furniture either Ariadne or a picture a sofa where the letter box should be. grin

Elegran Wed 13-Mar-13 11:50:47

I have an old bronze bell-push surround, which polished up beautifully many years ago when accidentally sand-blasted, along with the stone facing around it. Even now that it has gone dull again, it looks OK.

The matching letter-box was replaced by a shiny new "brass"one, and never looks smart, whatever is is cleaned with.

Ana Wed 13-Mar-13 11:49:16

My thoughts too, shysal. We have several 'brass' doorknobs which have become dull and discoloured, and because the coating's worn off they are just base metal now and won't polish up...

shysal Wed 13-Mar-13 11:46:02

Could it be that the 'brass' was only a coating, which has worn off to reveal a dark metal beneath? This was a problem I had when I moved house, which meant that I had to replace them.

Ariadne Wed 13-Mar-13 11:20:25

I refuse to call them "door furniture"!

This new house has a lot of mock brass door handles, and I will get rid of the internal ones ASAP. But the from door's letter box, knocker and handle are dirty, stained almost. Nothing seems to clean them. This door is inside a porch, so I don't think it's the sea air..) I have tried:
Brasso
Vinegar
Detergent

Any ideas? I only remember when I leave the house, when I feel my mother's voice calling me to clean them. (She of the rubber gloves, clean dusters and an obsession with "getting into the corners")