Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fully qualified Grans?

(61 Posts)
gracesmum Sat 30-Mar-13 17:50:33

DD1 said yesterday that to be a member of Gransnet one should be able to 1) change a nappy 2) bath a baby 3)Fasten and unfasten a child/toddler in a car seat and 4) UNDO and DO up a modern buggy. I can tick 1) and 2) and 3) as long as there is not TOO much opposition, but both the other Granny and I were struggling with the buggy yesterday at the MAC in Birmingham. The nails didn't survive the struggle but when DD said "Oh let me........" of course it popped open like a dream. Do you remember the "old" McLaren buggy? You could carry the toddler, 2 bags of shopping and still flip it open and ready to roll in a trice, but these new contraptions need stronger hands than mine!

kittylester Sat 30-Mar-13 17:52:49

I can do 1,2,3 but not 4 or 5 (I've just added that!) the pesky high chair that bites me everytime! angry

harrigran Sat 30-Mar-13 17:56:01

Buggy is the bugbear, even after 7 years as a gran I can not master the blessed thing.

glammanana Sat 30-Mar-13 18:05:20

Gave up on buggies would rather walk and put baby into high pram and walk,don't care how far I have to walk just don't give me a buggy.grin

JessM Sat 30-Mar-13 18:10:22

And remember which way round babies are supposed to sleep... let me see... at the bottom of the cot, on their backs isn't it. And then there is the turning the baby alarm off before you pick them up if mum is sleeping skill, otherwise alarm goes off and mother leaps 6 ft into air like a cartoon character (is that how it goes ? Its been a few years)

hummingbird Sat 30-Mar-13 18:21:03

I can't remember how many times I've shoved the upright buggy into the boot, after having a full-on wrestling match with it in the street! It doesn't seem to matter how many times I'm shown, the dratted thing refuses to budge for me. Pitiful looks from DD make the whole debacle worse! I loved my Marmet Imperial - it didn't need to be folded down, just stood royally in the hall. (It wouldn't go in the car, though!)

NfkDumpling Sat 30-Mar-13 18:21:13

Baby monitors. I can't master baby monitors.

Audreyab Sat 30-Mar-13 18:24:41

Og gracemum so know were you are coming from, I was trying to help my DIL open the blinking buggy one day as she had my GS in her arms and I just could'nt do it!!! I felt such a plank. In the end she gave me My Grandson and she opened the buggy!!! This was when he was a baby of course he is 4 now.

JessM Sat 30-Mar-13 18:34:23

And its not getting them into the car seat that's the problem, it is loosening the straps so that you can begin the task without crushing their internal organs (while wrestling the child out of the buggy in a public place) Once had to accost a passing buggy pushing man to help me.

Ella46 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:56:44

The plastic clips that fasten the harnesses are what get my arthritic fingers.
I have been known to just pull dgd out of one corner when the clips were too stiff grin

The buggy always has muddy wheels when it won't close, and I can't get it in the porch!

absent Sat 30-Mar-13 19:01:03

*JessM8 N0, not on their backs. In the night on the right, in the day, the other way.

gracesmum Sat 30-Mar-13 19:04:16

Had to enlist help of a neighbour with young children the first time DGS stayed with us as I had NO idea of how to undo the straps on the McLaren. Buggy of course stayed erected for the duration. Another bugbear (!) is the baby alarm , as I always forget that you can be heard at the "other end" which includes Granny's tuneless lullaby rendition. DGC not so discriminating but assembled company in stitches down stairs!

FlicketyB Sat 30-Mar-13 19:16:59

Fortunately DS & DDIL also cursed their buggy and had problems with it, so I never touched it. I am nearly more cackhanded than DS when faced the things mechanical

Galen Sat 30-Mar-13 19:38:56

My dd uses a sling! There's no way I'm carrying DGD on crutches with a tendency to fall!

absent Sat 30-Mar-13 19:40:19

If you're a grandmother, you're a fully qualified Grans.

JessM Sat 30-Mar-13 20:13:10

oh the sleep drill has changed? Is that because all the babies were getting flat backs to their heads. My GD still has a slightly flat head bless her.

Greatnan Sat 30-Mar-13 20:14:48

Oh dear - I have come over all nostalgic for the days when I used to push my grandchildren in those dratted buggies. When I was living with my daughter in Yorkshire I used to take my great-grand-daughter to the park to feed the ducks and we both enjoyed ourselves. Perhaps I will get another go when my New Zealand grandchildren start to have children.

I have a sun-lounger which is the devil to open - there is a knack which makes it very easy, but I forget it every time and end up lying the thing down on the floor and wrestling with it. Who designs these things?

Greatnan Sat 30-Mar-13 20:16:16

Last thing I read was that babies should be laid on their backs because they can get overheated lying on their stomachs. No doubt more recent grandparents can confirm the new advice.

Gally Sat 30-Mar-13 20:19:56

After nearly 5 weeks with DD here in Oz, I have mastered the erection and collapsing of the 'stroller' and can also manage 1, 2 and 4 quite efficiently but 5 is a different story. They have a ridiculous Hauk high hair which 'grows with the child' and getting the baby into it requires at least 3 hands. The sitting space is very narrow and once installed, the baby is pushed forward - try feeding a recalcitrant infant with its chin pushed down onto its chest ! [I give up emoticon]. The other three gc's also each have a chair like this (they turn into a high level/low level chair and then a stool) - SIL is all arty farty and thinks they look the part. All DD wants is a cheap Plastic Ikea highchair like I have at home but he won't hear of it. [what a prat emoticon] grin

Galen Sat 30-Mar-13 20:27:22

I thought it was on their backs!

Gally Sat 30-Mar-13 20:32:58

All gc's have been on their backs and one has the most peculiar shaped head. Doesn't seem to bother DD 'his hair will cover it' shock. All my DD's were on their fronts/sides.

Grannylin Sat 30-Mar-13 20:39:50

Definitely on their backs- but only after you've managed to remove the blackout thing off your head because the suction pads somehow don't manage to attach it to the window....when did Mums start needing blackouts??

gracesmum Sat 30-Mar-13 20:46:23

I bought one of those blackout blinds for when DGS came to stay and ripped it first time! Blackout curtain linings more effective any day (or night!)
The most useful advice I ever got was from Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall's book Good Granny guide regarding disposable nappies -"The picture goes at the front". Then there's the "Sun'sup" clock. A brilliant concept, but can I ever remember how to set the damn thing? (Do not answer)
Baby bags with 2-way zips - plus baby wriggling for Britain. The knee across the stomach technique I perfected for our children seems a little draconian these enlightened dayssmile

Gally Sat 30-Mar-13 21:05:05

Trouble is, *Gracesmum' there are pictures on both front and back these days and if you don't have the specs on, you can't see which one is facing which way! I go with the bigger tabs at the back theory grin
The 3 year old sets the sun's up clock - easy option....... Maybe she can sort out my next PCM problem too wink

Wheniwasyourage Sat 30-Mar-13 21:05:39

I thought they were on their backs as it is the best way to avoid cot death, which I believe has become much less common since the Back to Sleep campaign. I would rather take the chance of having a live DGC with a flat head (although mine seem to have perfectly ordinary heads in spite of sleeping on their backs from birth until they could choose, and move, for themselves).

gracesmum, is there any other way of 1) strapping a wriggling toddler in a buggy or 2) changing the nappy of someone who has decided that this is crawling time, not nappy-changing time, than the knee, or possibly elbow, in the stomach technique?