Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fully qualified Grans?

(62 Posts)
gracesmum Sat 30-Mar-13 17:50:33

DD1 said yesterday that to be a member of Gransnet one should be able to 1) change a nappy 2) bath a baby 3)Fasten and unfasten a child/toddler in a car seat and 4) UNDO and DO up a modern buggy. I can tick 1) and 2) and 3) as long as there is not TOO much opposition, but both the other Granny and I were struggling with the buggy yesterday at the MAC in Birmingham. The nails didn't survive the struggle but when DD said "Oh let me........" of course it popped open like a dream. Do you remember the "old" McLaren buggy? You could carry the toddler, 2 bags of shopping and still flip it open and ready to roll in a trice, but these new contraptions need stronger hands than mine!

Greatnan Sat 30-Mar-13 21:29:27

I think the skulls round out eventually!

Galen Sat 30-Mar-13 21:47:28

They do!

Galen Sat 30-Mar-13 21:57:05

Wheniwas
Having made a careful observation of DD performing this activity a few hours ago!
The answer seems to be:-
1 grasp delinquent by both ankles in one hand
2 hoist said delinquent into air while leaving shoulders (theirs) in contact with the ground
3 with free hand remove nappy
4 wipe with previously strategically placed wipes
5 replace with clean nappy
6 repeat as necessary

Ps It is important to place every thing convenient to hand. Also, to place delinquent in inescapable corner!

Ana Sat 30-Mar-13 22:01:37

And make sure the delinquent can't grab hold of the dirty nappy while you're otherwise occupied, and wave it about at random, contaminating surrounding work surfaces and possibly its own face....grin

Forzanonna Sat 30-Mar-13 22:07:21

My DD changes nappy with DGS standing up - I'm afraid I find it difficult and have to get him to lie down, which he doesn't always appreciate!!

numberplease Sat 30-Mar-13 22:53:00

When all mine were babies, 60s and very early 70s, we were told that baby should be on his or her side to sleep, how things change.

harrigran Sat 30-Mar-13 23:09:53

I used to change nappies with baby on my knee. Like Galen's DD I grasped both ankles in one hand whilst using the same arm across baby's chest and tummy. Sounds simple except with my DC it was terry nappies.
My GDs were put on their backs but never stayed in one position long enough to get a flat head. Eldest used to use her feet on the cot rails to propel herself around the cot taking the blanket with her. I thought small babies stayed in one position, not ours. She used to scare the life out of me, I kept finding a bum where a head should have been.

ninathenana Sun 31-Mar-13 18:04:08

Nappy changing:
I too go for the both feet in one hand method. But I lay him on sofa and use my knee as a barrier against rolling.
Buggy:
I can do the light weight one with ease. The bigger three wheeler. No chance
Highchair:
That's DH's job grin

Nelliemoser Sun 31-Mar-13 20:19:55

I have only once tried nappy changing with baby DGS The critical thing seems to be getting the nappy tight enough around the tummy and legs so as not to leak but still allow the child to breath. The trick I will never forget is keeping the heels up in the air in one hand so they don't get lowered onto the pooey bum. Ah memories!

nanaej Sun 31-Mar-13 20:47:16

Changed nappy twice this afternoon! DGS still reasonably compliant so not too problematic. High chair folding OK, buggy OK if I do it slowly! also have to remove a wheel to fit it into my Fiesta boot and that can be a real tug of war! By bete noir is the car seat ..remembering where the release button is to get the straps loose!! Had to ask a young mum in the car park last week to do it for me!!blush

Greatnan Mon 01-Apr-13 06:56:14

I have changed a lot of nappies but give me girls every time! My grandsons seemed to make a point of directing a stream of urine upwards as soon as I took off their nappy!
I am coming over all broody but both my grand-daughter and gd-in-law are happy with the two little girls they both have and none of my other eight gc are ready for parenthood yet.

Lilygran Mon 01-Apr-13 10:15:45

Managed to open the complicated,expensive buggy which DGS then refused to travel in, went to the park, came back to car. Totally failed to close buggy. Several kind passers-by offered to help but it was the time of day when young parents are in short supply. Fortunately, we had parked outside a hairdressers and one of the staff came out to help. She noticed our problem because of all the hearty laughter from everyone involved. With a wiggly baby or a crawler, I think occasional nappy changing takes two pairs of hands!

whenim64 Mon 01-Apr-13 10:59:43

Nappy-changing twin 16 month-old granddaughters is like trying to put an octopus in a small bag! I have everything at arm's reach, otherwise they grab it before me. I need eyes in the back of my head because the other twin runs off with things, too. I change them on the floor, as that's where they'd be headed from the sofa, and the changing station is no longer safe - too high. I have a supply of objects to distract them - toys are not acceptable - TV remote, mobile phone, car keys or my purse. If I get most of their clothes back on, that's a result, and getting the soiled nappy into a nappy bag before it disappears into the toy box with my specs (that happened once) makes me a qualified gran, I think! grin

Greatnan Mon 01-Apr-13 11:03:01

Respect, when! You could put one in the high chair or bouncer, I suppose?

whenim64 Mon 01-Apr-13 11:11:47

No, Greatnan - they have that much twin equipment that it all gets folded away or put in other rooms so the main play area is childproof, the sofas are rammed at right angles to each other so they don't head for a radiator valve and turn the heating off, and there are stairgates and various other strategic obstacles to keep these two little monkeys in roughly the same area. Mum is used to changing them at high speed, and so doesn't need containers for her little cherubs like I do! grin

JessM Mon 01-Apr-13 11:17:54

grin when would make a great video I think.

Greatnan Mon 01-Apr-13 11:24:19

I think you should be nominated for Grandmother of the Year award, when! And all the other members with multiple grandchildren - at least my last two were 14 months apart and that was tough enough when babysitting. My first three grandsons were born in 2 years 8 months (two daughters) and I used to babysit quite often as I was living within 30 miles or so and I remember how exhausted I used to get. When two were asleep, the third would start crying and wake them. And I was in my early 40s then!

gracesmum Mon 01-Apr-13 12:01:44

I am thinking in inventing a sort of straitjacket attachment for changing mats/tables and then I could give up the day job (if I had one) and retire to my Caribbean island grin It could hold ankles as well as upper body but I think it might contravene the Geneva Convention.
Never forget how wriggling little boy once "caused" me to include a discarded sock in his bedtime nappy after his bath. No end of hilarity on the part of his parents at poor Granny's ineptitude blush I thought there were d**n lucky he went to bed with a nappy on at all - as a crawling escapologist baby is a lot speedier than a Granny kneeling on bathroom floor!
And what's that thing about running your finger round the elastic to make sore it doesn't leak? Nobody told me that until it was too late.
I am surprised they actually ever ask me to do Granny duty - maybe I should perfect my cack-handedness???grin

Nelliemoser Mon 01-Apr-13 12:54:59

Gracesmum a brilliant idea.

When you start with your own you get gradually used to anticipating the grabbing of everything and rolling over etc etc. After 30 or so years with no practice it comes as a bit of a shock again.

greatnan I had a boy first so covering up "the hose" with the end of the nappy was second nature. DS always peed as the nappy was taken off.

Stansgran Mon 01-Apr-13 13:47:08

I had DGD as a toddler but not yet talking and decided to take one of the little boat buses across the lake in Geneva . I blissfully assumed that the signs about folding up push hairs before getting on board couldn't possibly refer to me and bulky American push chair and that some burly Swiss would manhandle it on board. But not so in Switzerland every rule to be obeyed and I held up queue as I struggled with toddler carryall bag and push chair. Then small child ,as I said we should give up and walk back round the lake, pointed to one catch then another and then a third. Enormous pushchair collapsed burly Swiss suddenly smiled and heaved the thing on board and the timetable was adhered to.

Greatnan Mon 01-Apr-13 14:08:45

Stansgran, I asked the ferry company if I could take my sister on the Evian-Lausanne ferry with her wheel chair and they said there would be no problem. Hmmmm.......I had the dickens of a job folding it when I took her to meet Juragran at Montreux but some young people in the car park came over and did it for me.
I had to catch three trains after I flew into Geneva last week and I just positioned myself near some strong looking men and asked them to help me with my suitcase. They looked a bit surprised but then they were very nice about it - they obviously sussed my English accent and replied in English.

Thistledoo Tue 02-Apr-13 18:50:54

Oh I can do most of the above but the flipping bugaboo is a nightmare, everytime I have to try to put the thing up I am embarrased beyond belief in a supermarket carpark. And let me tell you my daughter in law uses cloth nappies........ they are all sorts of shapes, have different liners and funny three pronged contraptions to secure them. My DGD 7months seems to be all nappy and unable to move. Bring back Harringtions gold seal nappies, and the Mclaren buggy.

NfkDumpling Tue 02-Apr-13 19:18:36

Oh yes, Harrington's Gold Seal. Saw me through 3 babies and then got passed on while the Silver Seal ended up as floor clothes. And they were proper nappies - took real skill to fold and put one of them on a squirming baby. Needed changing a lot more often though.

hummingbird Tue 02-Apr-13 19:45:07

Oh, you've taken me back - Harrington's gold seal with a muslin liner, and a bucket of napisan in the corner of the kitchen. There was nothing nicer than a washing line full of bright white nappies on a sunny, blowy day. (Of course, nostalgia has erased all the bad memories of rinsing, washing and drying the blessed things!)

nanamacatj Tue 02-Apr-13 20:10:03

The demon Bugaboo defeated me too, both DH and I wrestled with it in large shopping centre car park one busy saturday afternoon, I honestly thought I was going to have to get on the bus with it and send DH and gkids in car. DD just sighs and shakes her head at us like we are simpletonsconfused