Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sons Girlfriend not interacting with my grandson

(28 Posts)
cathy Fri 19-Apr-13 19:59:20

I Feel that I am solving one problem then up pops another---My eldest son has been dating his new girlfriend for a year and recently moved in together.

The problem is that my grandson is getting negative feedback from his own Mum = my sons x so when he meets new girlfriend he says things like I don't like her.

The problem is that now new girlfriend is avoiding my grandson and when my son has him at the weekend she will find stuff to do, anything other than be around when my grandson is there even going to her Mum's.

I was thinking of just confronting her, is that the best way forward?

cathy Wed 01-May-13 11:31:52

I think I am deluded and think I can make things better but to be honest I am not sure I have made things better, I dont know what is the right thing to do to be honest, it was so easy when they were little but now its so difficult,and problems much much more serious, if I do give them advise I worry that it could be the wrong advise and it all gets quite overwhelming.

In a nutshell, I am a bit of an idiot... my poor sons, but I will learn..

Florence56 Wed 01-May-13 13:10:42

cathy, as a parent with 'grown-up' children its our most difficult lesson to learn...when to step back and let them just get on with their lives. We NEVER stop caring, loving or feeling the pain but, we do have to learn that they do not always need us as much as we think they do. Its all so difficult.