Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Attending funerals?

(27 Posts)
nanapug Tue 14-May-13 22:00:52

I don't envy you that decision. I can see exactly where you are coming from. I personally think it also depends on your beliefs. If you feel he is looking down and you want to let him know you appreciated what he did for you then I would go. Also, do you want to get closer to the family again or is it too late? Not much help I'm afraid but personally I wouldn't go, as long as you wouldn't regret it xx

grannot Tue 14-May-13 21:46:09

My Uncle died last week and his funeral is a week tomorrow but I'm undecided whether I should attend or not. I haven't actually seen him for 20+ years since my sisters wedding. This is for no particular reason just the fact that I live 100+ miles away from him and his family and we just grew apart.

But as a child he was very close to both me, my Mum and sisters. My Mum and Dad divorced when my sisters and I were very young and my Uncle basically became a father figure in our lives and was very special but by the time he married and had children , we were grown up and starting families of our own and we drifted apart.

I've always felt it was wrong to attend funerals for people you have not been close too and I'm pulled in two directions over this. I will of course send flowers but should I attend?

Any thoughts or advice please,