Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I am to become a grandmother for the first time

(35 Posts)
jeanie99 Tue 28-May-13 09:57:14

My daughter is to become a mother, perhaps not world breaking news but but we never thought this would happen for various medical reasons.

We are over the moon for her and her partner of 6 years and I pray that everything will be alright for them both.

Had to share bursting with happiness.

inthefields Sun 02-Jun-13 10:22:06

How wonderful. Isn't it the most amazing thing!!

I cried when I heard precious first GS's heart for the first time.

Not sure if that makes me sad ...or just only granny to one at the moment!!

jeanie99 Sun 02-Jun-13 09:42:04

Update on my first grandchild.

My daughter sent me a recording by e-mail of peanuts (name at the moment for this precious bungle) heart beat, how amazing that this technology allows us to hear this.

Peanut is kicking which is also a good sign.

seasider Sat 01-Jun-13 00:14:42

Congratulations to you both! smile

Nelliemoser Fri 31-May-13 23:36:22

I dropped a jokey sort of hint to DD the other day about her having more children!
DGS is only 8 mnths and a poor sleeper.

The only reply I got from DD was a very loud Humph! grin

LizG Fri 31-May-13 08:39:59

Lovely news Jeanie99, many congratulations.

jeanie99 Fri 31-May-13 08:04:19

It was so wonderful reading all your comments I had tears in my ideas with many.

My daughter felt the first movement this week it's a little early 18 weeks but things seem to be running along as normal so fingers crossed and thanks ago for your interest.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-May-13 16:08:46

Congratulations to all us existing, new and soon-to-be grannies - it's just the best feeling! wine.

My first little darling was born in December - he came out of hospital and straight to our family gathering on Christmas Eve. While we were toasting our new addition, my daughter announced that we had another on the way - it was the best Christmas ever! 5 weeks to go and counting....sunshine

Hannoona Thu 30-May-13 05:49:55

Congratulations to you and yours. smile

Nothing in life will ever be the same for you again. If you though you knew what love is about because you are a mum - just wait until you are a granny. Oh my goodness. It truly is a very different thing altogether and just just just.......ah well. Is there anyway at all in can be put into words? I think not smile

Sook Wed 29-May-13 23:36:17

kitty it certainly is smile. It was DS1s birthday today so I had a good excuse to visit again for more cuddles.

Thank you hummingbird he is more fourth GC but just as wonderful and special as the first three.

gracesmum even if I am lucky enough to afour more DGC I don't think I will ever get to grips with opening /folding these new fangled buggies grin

inthefields Wed 29-May-13 22:32:06

Gracesmum

....isn't that just the truth! Nothing is the same!!
Makes one wonder how ours survived.

gracesmum Wed 29-May-13 19:03:13

Welcome to the best club in the world!! Prepare to worry like you have never worried before, to love the little chap/ess so much you would lie down in front of a bus for him/her and to feel that despite raising your own children pretty damn well, you know absolutely NOTHING about babycare in the 21st century grin

hummingbird Wed 29-May-13 18:47:57

Congratulations, Sook! And good wishes to the grans-to-be. You are about to embark upon the most wonderful adventure - enjoy every moment! flowers

liminetta Wed 29-May-13 08:19:18

Fourteen years ago, my daughter lived 200 miles away from us, and had been married for 12 years. She went into hospital to have an operation on a varicose vein.Unable to visit, I sent flowers through Interflora. Later that evening, she rang to say that the hospital had sent her home.as they couldn't perform the operation.Immediately, I worriedly exclaimed; "Why not?"She then told me "Because I,me pregnant, mum."Then we both burst into tears of joy! My first grandchild was born 9 months later, on Mothers Day.Wonderful!

Grannyknot Wed 29-May-13 07:56:01

You are all so lucky! Congrats especially to the new gran to be.

kittylester Wed 29-May-13 07:02:57

Sook smile

Persie smiled at me for ages this morning. Isn't it fabulous? sunshine

Sook Tue 28-May-13 20:26:53

Congratulationsjeanie99 and SueL123 I've had the pleasure of nursing my 2 day old grandchild it is a wonderful feeling smile

ps Tue 28-May-13 20:18:33

jeanie congratulations to you, your daughter and her partner. Enjoy the happy experience. You must be so proud. Nothing like a baby gandchild to keep you young at heart.

Forzanonna Tue 28-May-13 19:58:50

Congratulations both flowers

kittylester Tue 28-May-13 16:33:07

Thanks Nellie DD3 has a friend who is a community midwife who suggested they go for it after each miscarriage and also quickly after Bettie was born. It seems to work!!!

numberplease Tue 28-May-13 16:08:24

Wonderful news Jeannie and Sue, hope all goes swimmingly.

Movedalot Tue 28-May-13 15:37:24

jeannie and Sue wonderful news for you both. I hope all goes well and that you will keep us all informed. Congrats all round flowers

shysal Tue 28-May-13 15:24:08

Congrats to you too Sue! flowers

annodomini Tue 28-May-13 15:23:39

jeanie and SueL - you have so much to look forward to. Congratulations to all concerned. flowers

Nelliemoser Tue 28-May-13 15:08:01

Kittylester Re getting pregnant soon after a miscarriage; I had heard that this can, for some unknown reason, be more successful than waiting.
Here's a link

www.nhs.uk/news/2010/08August/Pages/conceiving-baby-after-miscarriage.aspx

This seem to prove the case against what was conventional wisdom.

kittylester Tue 28-May-13 14:50:05

Of course that should say 'I was slightly shock' blush