Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lads' mags - what do we think?

(108 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Jun-13 15:12:17

We've been asked to support a campaign called "lose the lads' mags" which is being run by UK Feminista and Object and is calling on retailers to stop displaying and selling lads' mags.

So we wanted to canvass views...

The campaigners argue these magazines encourage the idea that women are objects and so help to create an atmosphere in which sexual violence becomes acceptable. A group of discrimination lawyers claims that the display of these images amounts to discrimination against women and breaches equality legislation.

So what do we think?

j08 Thu 06-Jun-13 16:28:09

I'm thankful that neither of my grandsons watch any of the soaps. Except for the odd occasion when they are here and naughty granny doesn't' t get them to bed in time. blush

Bags Thu 06-Jun-13 16:32:08

She's home from school. I asked her. She had no idea. Didn't even know the word (confused it with Protestant – oops!). But one of her pals has a damaged nerve in her neck and another is on crutches because he broke his ankle ("really badly") skateboarding.

So, as suspected, village life in Scotland, and lack of exposure to unsuitable media is not conducive to such knowledge.

Greatnan Thu 06-Jun-13 16:40:01

Yes,bags, you obviously live in a completely different type of area from those where most children live. Did you explain the word to her, having mentioned it? If not, at what age would you expect her to know it?
I am sure there must be some children in the village/school who watch the soaps and would know the word but perhaps they are in different friendship groups.

I went to a convent school where we had absolutely no education on human reproduction, not even about menstruation, but somehow we all knew the joke about the nun who confused 'prostitute' with 'protestant'. I don't suppose any of us would have dared admit to our mother that we knew it, though.

Bags Thu 06-Jun-13 16:58:02

Yes, I did explain its meaning. I don't think I'd ever expect children under the age of about sixteen to know the word. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they did, but I wouldn't expect it.

She is well-informed about human reproduction and menstruation, and about such related things as homosexuality and abortion. We bought her three books recommended by DD2, who works for a charitable youth drop-in centre in Leith, when she was nine. She 'devoured' them. At that time she was particularly interested in how babies are born (as was DD1). The biology is fascinating.

DD2, who has lots of contact with young city kids from the age of twelve, often remarks about their ignorance about such matters. Presumably they don't learn much at school (not necessarily because it isn't taught, but because they don't/can't pay attention), and perhaps their parents don't discuss such things with them.

Bags Thu 06-Jun-13 17:00:30

Should be "as was DD1 at that age"

whenim64 Sat 27-Jul-13 19:06:00

One Billion Rising post on Facebook, about how children can misinterpret or accept as true, the things they see that are not corrected or put into context for them by adults.

http://notthenewsinbriefs.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/childish-mistakes/

whenim64 Sat 27-Jul-13 19:07:30

notthenewsinbriefs.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/childish-mistakes/

Sorry, didn't blue it.