Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

daughter in law seeking advice

(27 Posts)
happyharry Tue 09-Jul-13 08:19:52

I am a mum with 3 children including a baby. I mainly sahm looking after them whilst my husband works long hours in a responsible job.
I also sell products at home parties to earn a bit of money and give me some independence. Hard to do much else due to childcare costs.
Every year the company concerned holds a conference and awards. It involves an overnight in a hotel.
Historically dh has never taken holiday to look after our children. I have never expected him to as its at a busy time of the year for his employment This is now no longer the case. We have always muddled through with help from after school clubs and in the early days assistance from my mum. Sadly my mum has now passed away. Plus we now have a baby.
dh has grudgingly said I can attend if I can sort out childcare.
So my question is how would you if your daughter in law approached you with this request?
Would you think it was cheeky bearing in mind mil also works part time so would have to rearrange her working week.
Would you think daughter in law should go or would you think your son should take time off.
Would you think we should arrange paid childcare?
any thoughts appreciated.
Thank you

ljny Thu 11-Jul-13 00:32:05

As a gran, I would love to be asked. But while some grandparentss leap at the chance to watch theur grandchildren; others aren't quite as keen.

You may lack the confidence to ask - or you may have a gut feeling that MIL might not be so keen. You know her; we don't.

Consider giving her an out. Or perhaps asking by email, so it's easier for her to turn you down.

I do hope she jumps at the chance. Good luck!

With luck, she'll also ask her lazy selfish son why he can't look after his own children? For ONE DAY. Yeesh.