Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dd2, 29 weeks pregnant, permanently exhausted - any ideas?

(26 Posts)
kittylester Sat 13-Jul-13 07:45:44

I know it goes with the territory as she also has a toddler but she has to rest if she goes upstairs or even downstairs. She goes dizzy in the shower and feels sick first thing in the morning.

She has had blood tests and everything came back fine. She is/was fit as she walks a lot rather than using the car.

The heat is obviously making it worse but she has felt like this for a month or so. We have advised her to just wait a week before going back to the gp.

Naturally, she is the daughter who lives furthest away sad

Butty Sat 13-Jul-13 07:50:40

I'm sorry to hear about that kitty. Presumably her BP is being monitored regularly?
Back to the Doc. smartish, I'd say.

JessM Sat 13-Jul-13 07:55:20

Oh kitty you have a lot on your plate. At the minor end of the scale, dizziness can be caused by hyperventilation - breathing in a huffing kind of way. Slow deeper breathing counteracts. It does not cause tiredness though.
But I would suggest that she goes to her doctor and asks them to check her heart if she is feeling "out of breath" after minor exertion (breathing hard etc), rather than just tired and weak. Just occasionally pregnancy can interact with a minor heart problem that has not been previously identified and best to double check.

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-13 08:07:06

Crikey Jess panic stations. She was born with a very minor heart defect which righted itself almost immediately - gp pronto!

Butty BP is being monitored by the midwife but visits to midwives do not seem to happen as often as they did in 'my day'.

Thank you both for your input sunshine

whenim64 Sat 13-Jul-13 08:07:30

My daughter's friend was the same - she had her baby 3 days ago. She was working oart-time (admin) but had to stop at 26 weeks as she was exhausted, but nothing was identified as the cause. At fist she thought it was because she already has two children, but other expectant mums in the same position weren't as tired as her. She dragged herself around until 39 weeks, then they induced her. All fine and now she's feeling energetic and refreshed!

Tegan Sat 13-Jul-13 08:50:54

Don't hesitate to see a Dr with even the slightest worry when pregnant [even though this weather is draining]. I had a girl first who was very happy to sit and draw for hours or have books read but if I'd had a boy when I was pregnant I think I would've been exhausted.

glammyP Sat 13-Jul-13 09:43:03

Ask for help, friends, grandparents and partner. It’s not a sign of you can’t cope it just means you’re not superwoman. It makes me so cross to hear women complain that they do everything because if they didn’t ‘know one else is gonna do it.’ Well they won’t if you keep going on regardless of how you feel. Believe me people who love you will be very pleased to help. Don’t struggle on just because you feel you should be able to, listen to your body its telling you to rests so let the housework go, talk to your boss and explain – maybe cut down on hours if possible. If you don’t tell people how you are feeling they can’t help or be understanding. Hope you feel better soon.

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-13 12:53:39

Thanks all smile especially Tegan I've taken your pm on board!

DD2 is the sort who panics and then talks herself down - often too far the other way.

She listens to DH, as the nearest thing we have to a live-in medical expert grin and he is on the case to ensure she goes to the GP at the end of the week. Luckily her husband is off next week, decorating the new nursery, so will be able to keep an eye on her.

As I said - daughters, who'd have 'em. grin

Slightly different point re daughters. Whilst sitting on the loo at JL this morning I got a phone call from DD1 asking whether she should have her (curly, pre-raphaelite) hair cut or grow it again. I asked when her appointment was and she said 'I'm in the chair now - I'm just doing a quick census' confused

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-13 12:54:05

Thanks all smile especially Tegan I've taken your pm on board!

DD2 is the sort who panics and then talks herself down - often too far the other way.

She listens to DH, as the nearest thing we have to a live-in medical expert grin and he is on the case to ensure she goes to the GP at the end of the week. Luckily her husband is off next week, decorating the new nursery, so will be able to keep an eye on her.

As I said - daughters, who'd have 'em. grin

Slightly different point re daughters. Whilst sitting on the loo at JL this morning I got a phone call from DD1 asking whether she should have her (curly, pre-raphaelite) hair cut or grow it again. I asked when her appointment was and she said 'I'm in the chair now - I'm just doing a quick census' confused

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-13 12:54:54

Sorry about the double post - they've got me befuddled! grin

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Jul-13 13:12:41

Kitty it suggests that she really hadn't made her mind to do so by the time she is in the chair its best to think it through for a bit longer.
What did she decide to do?

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-13 16:48:37

Nellie - she decided to leave it long on the basis that you look younger with long hair - she's 38 shock

DD2 is feeling ok today but we will make sure you sees a GP at the end of the week. I was reassured when I talked to DD1 (in JL's loo!!) and she reminded me that she had low blood pressure towards the end of her last pregnancy and felt weak and tired too. smile

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Jul-13 19:46:28

More Re Daughters..
Interesting conversation with DD this afternoon after her first half week on late shifts.

She has been very worried about how DGS would go to bed as he has spent the last 9/12 being fed to sleep by Mum.

Me. "How did it go?".
She. "Oh! Ok! Dad gave him a bottle (express dairies) and he fell asleep on Dad's lap. Cried a bit when Dad put him in his cot. Dad sang and patted him till he slept. He slept quite well! I think it might have been because I was not in the house and he couldn't whine his way to me putting him to bed!"

Me Thinks to self!. Very astute Mummy! I could have told you that!

She " I do miss him when I move from a late to an early shift as I hardly see him other than giving him a feed about 5am."

She "I quite like having time to myself while he is at Nursery. I have been able to get on with things and go for a run!!"

Me thinks! ...She has been glued to this admittedly lovely baby for 9mnths and he has spent a lot of time napping in her arms, far longer that I did with mine as I put them down to nap.

Me thinks!... Mixed emotions here. Has she been feeling indispensable and now he seems happy at Nursery and Dad can get him to sleep as well as Mummy is feeling slightly redundant?

They do still cause us worry and more than a degree of exasperation. I have been carefully controlling my views on the "wisdom" of always holding him while he naps.

Seriously! I do feel for these Mums having to leave the babies to go back to work I would not have liked to do it.
smile smile

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-13 19:54:55

Totally agree nellie. I loved being at home with mine, too!! Different times though, sadly!

whenim64 Sat 13-Jul-13 20:06:26

Have to 'fess up, Nellie I loved having my little ones napping on me, head under my chin, whilst I relaxed for an hour. I was lucky, though, as I stayed at home pre-school.

Ella46 Sat 13-Jul-13 20:11:20

Nothing like it! Especially in a rocking chair smile

Galen Sat 13-Jul-13 21:02:40

I went back to work at 6/52 and wished I didn't have too. I still feel guilty 39 years later. No maternity pay in general practice in those days. I'd have had to resigned!

seasider Sun 14-Jul-13 01:59:31

A cautionary tale. When DS2 was only a couple of weeks old I was relaxing on the sofa with him asleep on my chest. Exhaustion kicked in and I nodded off. When I woke up and came round a bit I realised the baby was missing! it was quite a heart-stopping moment until I found him fast asleep on the floor, on his knees, next to the sofa. Fortunately it was a very low sofa and he was absolutely fine. He has always been a good sleeper! blush

Joan Sun 14-Jul-13 03:36:19

About the exhaustion - I suffered it with my youngest. When he was born they had to give me blood transfusions, because, in their words, my sturdy little newborn was 'a right little greedy guts who's drained you'. I had been taking double iron tablets all the time I was pregnant.

Neither the baby nor I had any after effects, but I feel for your daughter, as the memory is exhausting, even after all these years! I was unable to breast feed as no milk came, but I was relieved, as the baby took exactly double the recommended milk amounts, otherwise I'd have been 'drained' again!!. After babyhood he was always full of energy and never fat.

Mishap Sun 14-Jul-13 09:23:53

Best to get things checked out. Often low BP to blame and that fluctuates. Being pregnant with a toddler around is a huge challenge poor lass.

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 09:27:20

Did anyone see the programme that was on last week with Alice Roberts which showed that 9 months is the optimum time for a human to carry a baby; any longer and she wouldn't be physically able to supply enough nutrient for it to develop without harming herself. Only caught the tail end of the programme but it was fascinating.

nightowl Sun 14-Jul-13 09:55:11

I went back to work when mine were 7 months old. I didn't want to but had no choice, as we were very hard up in those days. I had put off having children until we could afford it but the time never came! I was so lucky to have my lovely mum around to help so they were never left with anyone else. I can still remember how hard it was to leave them sad

gracesmum Sun 14-Jul-13 12:47:49

Hope to hear some good news soon kittylester - it is worrying.

nightowl Sun 14-Jul-13 12:54:31

Yes do let us know how she is kitty

JessM Tue 16-Jul-13 15:35:19

How is she feeling kitty? An even hotter week not a help I assume.