Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you take your grandchildren fishing?

(20 Posts)
Pittcity Tue 16-Jul-13 21:03:48

Today I entered into a Twitter conversation with @MrCrabtree and was asked if I could asked Gransnetters how many of them took their grandchildren fishing.

Here is a quote from their website
"John Bailey, author and presenter of the book and the TV series ‘Fishing in the Footsteps of Mr. Crabtree’ appeared on BBC1 at the weekend to talk about the decline in youngsters getting involved in the sport of fishing.

According to EA figures, the numbers of junior licences being bought has dropped from 77K in 2009 to 44K in 2013.

So what’s the problem? Is fishing no longer the #1 participatory sport in the Uk? Is it just that people aren’t buying licenses? Is it all part of a (not so) slow decline into a stagnant lifestyle that revolves around tech and instant gratification?"

My husband is a keen coarse fisherman and tries his best to enthuse our 12 year old son, who has both a fishing license and an Xbox. My OH was thrilled when our daughter married a fisherman and they both hope that our grandson will love it too.

j08 Tue 16-Jul-13 21:06:54

I'm glad to say my two prefer being on the river (in canoes) rather than sitting by it waiting for a poor unsuspecting fish to come along.

annodomini Tue 16-Jul-13 21:31:49

DS1 takes his DS fishing occasionally and sea fishing if they're at the seaside. DS2 takes his two kayaking.

merlotgran Tue 16-Jul-13 21:38:25

DH takes DGS3 (13) fishing quite regularly and DS takes his son (10) whenever they can find the time.

All our grandchildren have been fishing but two grandsons are particularly keen.

Pete Wed 17-Jul-13 11:03:31

I will try and encourage my GS's as they get older as I love being on the bankside. The sad thing is times have changed and I really think that some youngsters would only venture out fishing if there was an electric hook-up for x-box iPods etc on the bank!! Tight Lines!

Nonu Wed 17-Jul-13 11:09:12

My two don"t seem that keen , i remember the story of the boys fishing and the one turned to his chum and remarked

"IT ain"t much fun fishing if you don"t catch anything . I laughed .

Ariadne Wed 17-Jul-13 11:30:22

Teaching children to kill living things? I don't think so!

Tegan Wed 17-Jul-13 11:39:23

I'm fascinated by fly fishing. I eat very little meat but do eat a lot of fish, so I've got no problems with people fishing for them. I'm wondering, is it still something that just men do or do more women fish these days?

Pete Wed 17-Jul-13 12:02:00

Coarse fishing involves releasing the fish so children learn to handle them carefully.......unless it's game fish which are caught for the pot!

Tegan I don't see many women fishing on my travels,a few,but not many.

grannyactivist Wed 17-Jul-13 12:32:04

We live by the sea and at this time of the year the mackerel are chasing the sprats and many of them actually end up being beached. My son and husband were out fishing (until 3am in the case of my son!) last week and caught 5 mackerel which we ate for dinner the following day. When my grandson is of an age to join in no doubt he'll follow in his grandfather's footsteps.

Aka Wed 17-Jul-13 12:53:17

My grandson is fishing in my water feature as we speak write. He has a stick to which he has attached a piece if string and baited it with the remnants of his sausage roll. He's happy and blissfully unaware there is nothing to catch.

Nonu Wed 17-Jul-13 12:55:29

AKA, aren"t they just so adorable ?

Could kiss them to bits !!

Aka Wed 17-Jul-13 13:02:54

True Nonu. Forgot to mention he's stark naked too!

Aka Wed 17-Jul-13 13:03:18

Except for factor 50 and a hat grin

Nonu Wed 17-Jul-13 13:04:25

Laugh !!

feetlebaum Wed 17-Jul-13 13:09:01

@grannyactivist - That's the only kind of fishing I have ever done - hauling up mackerel on feathered hooks, particularly when you can see the sprats and know the mackerel are after them. And I was broke and hungry at the time, which made it doubly pleasurable, in an atavistic sort of way...

'Sport' fishing - well I have this nagging feeling that people are just trying to show they are more clever than a fish...

Aka Wed 17-Jul-13 13:12:03

...no competition there then feetle wink

Pittcity Wed 17-Jul-13 16:00:03

feetlebaum I read that as the only kind of fishing you have ever done was naked except for sunscreen and a hat! blush

Pittcity Wed 17-Jul-13 16:02:58

Have had another tweet from @MrCrabtree:
"We are looking at doing some research into attitudes on fishing and why people do or don't do it, I shall be in touch again!"

chocolatepudding Wed 17-Jul-13 20:51:27

I write as the owner of the fishing rights for approx 200 yards of a small river in East Anglia. Our house and garden are on one side of the river and on the opposite bank there is a public footpath on the land we own. For the first 8 years that we owned the fishing rights I cleared up after many grown up men who would sit for several hours fishing and enjoying their various snacks and drinks before driving home. The rule of thumb was a carrier bag full of rubbish collected every day during the fishing season.

Then one hot summer's evening I found a carrier bag tied with fishing line about 10 feet up a tree. DH retrieved the bag which contained the guts, bones etc of a fish which had been caught and killed which does not adhere to the rules of coarse fishing. I had had enough of the rubbish, the use of my land as a toilet by fishermen, the nights disturbed by fishermen shouting to each other what they had caught so I phoned our solicitor and asked him to check the deeds and advise me of MY rights.

How things have changed as we have enforced a NO FISHING policy on our land. Yes I have been threatened, sworn at and called all sorts of things. In addition the police have been called and fishermen who refused to leave have been removed. Two of our local police officers are keen fishermen and will not tolerate any nuisance. The Environment Agency river bailiff is helpful too - he likes to check the fishing licences are up to date!

But I will let children and teenagers fish in order to encourage them to the sport. I am always polite but firm with my requests for fishermen to leave and I find the majority of them are reasonable and understand my point of view.