Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Camber Sands

(7 Posts)
nanaej Thu 25-Jul-13 11:36:05

Am off to Camber Sands tomorrow with DDs and x 4 DGCs. Staying in a holiday house , walking distance from dunes and beach. Went 5 years ago but spent most of the week in hospital in Hastings with a gall bladder infection!

Anyone got any 'must sees/do' or 'avoid at all costs' advice?? I know about avoiding the hospitalgrin

ninathenana Thu 25-Jul-13 11:51:37

Hastings has/had a brilliant crazy golf on the seafront.
Of course I realize this may be your idea of hell grin

Also a sealife centre

Gally Thu 25-Jul-13 12:20:06

You have to 'do' Rye. Lovely shops, antiques, fish and chips and of course pubs. Go to Dungeness and see Derek Jarman's beach garden. Fantastic beach - an apocalyptic scene with the power station in the distance and amazing houses all over the place. Visit Winchelsea just west of Rye. Take the gcs on the Hythe to Dymchurch railway and to Battle. Lovely museum of toys there and of course lots of history. OOooh I do wish I was going too grin

feetlebaum Thu 25-Jul-13 12:50:28

And Rye was the original of 'Tilling' in the Mapp & Lucia books - and they shot a lot of the exteriors there for the TV series.

Brendawymms Fri 26-Jul-13 14:10:29

How about taking the kids to Bodium Castle. My children and grandchildren just love it. Lots of room for a picnic and stocks available for the kids!

Sook Fri 26-Jul-13 14:49:18

Brenda grin

MiceElf Fri 26-Jul-13 15:00:19

Sandwich is lovely. There is a beautiful 'Secret Garden' there. And Dover Castle is brilliant fantastic new immersive tunnels presentation children will love it. And the mediaeval keep is superb.