Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

grannies shouldn't need to worry so much

(148 Posts)
weedswoman Tue 06-Aug-13 11:15:58

Talking to other grannies, it was clear that our worries are much the same. I have started blogging on grannies who meditate and this is today's blog which is about the way to minimise worry

granniesmeditatetoo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/grannies-meditating-shouldnt-need-to.html

Ana Mon 12-Aug-13 13:57:34

Bit unfair to imply that Ariadne, nelliemoser and I all broke forum quidelines....confused

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Aug-13 13:59:31

Sorry about that, Ana - hang on a minute....

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Aug-13 14:06:36

There's the guidelines bit gone, and we know you were all being hospitable & helpful to a new poster. Do feel free to carry on the discussion. I thought Jane Austen was very entertaining but pretty hard-nosed, myself.

Ana Mon 12-Aug-13 14:11:48

Thanks, Charlotte, sorry to be picky! smile

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Aug-13 14:15:31

You're welcome smile.

Galen Mon 12-Aug-13 14:16:33

What on earth did you all do to upset GNHQ?

Ella46 Mon 12-Aug-13 14:27:05

Charlotte has just explained.

kittylester Mon 12-Aug-13 14:32:07

I've missed it again confused Please can we have a special thread entitled 'The bits kitty missed' grin

Oldgreymare Tue 13-Aug-13 17:15:40

I've got the worry beads out again. DS1, DIL and 2GC fly off to Spain tomorrow, I manage to transfer my fear of flying to fear of nearest and dearest flying.... how pathetic is that.
I sometimes find ways of following their flights thanks to some very clever sites, followed DS2 into San Francisco a couple of years ago and went into a panic when I 'lost' DG1 and family over Egypt last year! So pleased to get the we've landed texts! blush

Tegan Tue 13-Aug-13 17:38:42

I now try to sleep through such things. I used to have to check arrivals on ceefax but now of course, the pooter does it for me. My son works on train tracks at night sometimes [not as much now as he's more office based] but, for a long time I couldn't sleep when he was working. Then when he was living in his own home I couldn't relax not knowing if he'd arrived home safely. When he was still here he hadn't arrived back before I left for work one day, so I had to leave work and drive home to see if his car was on the drive. Any excitement I have about holidays for myself is tempered by the fact that I have to fly there. I don't mind flying back, because that's something I HAVE to do.

bikergran Wed 14-Aug-13 09:35:03

gracesmum how very true! if my daughters are happy then I am happy..but I can't be happy if they are not as then the worry kicks in..(not that it ever leaves us) smile I like everyone happy and that makes me happy....sorry I am repeating myself..lol.

MargaretX Wed 14-Aug-13 11:13:31

Are grannies really worrying too much? I don't think so. If a Grandparent is worrying about the failing health of her children or GCs then she/he has a right to worry about it. There are circumstances in life that cause a lot of worry.
The name grannies says more about the blogger than the grannies themselves. She is obviously not one but a meditation guru who thinks grannies could benefit from reading her blogs. I think a lot most of the day and don't have to get into a trance to think deeply about a subject.

I think bloggers are those kind of people who have a lot to say and then say it at such length that other lose interest. Bores in other words. You meet them in real life, you don't have to go online.

I can't see that age has anything to do with being a grandparent. Thats ageism! Its the kind of grandparent you are that matters. About the birth of children I was quicker than those mentioned. 9 months and a day or 2 days. My daughter was born 3 years before the wedding!

Ariadne Wed 14-Aug-13 11:16:06

What in earth did I say?? I honestly cannot remember being unpleasant, and if I was, I'm very sorry. sad

whenim64 Wed 14-Aug-13 11:33:41

Take a look above at the GNHQ message. It wasn't you, just a little problem about promoting blogs. [ smile]

Greatnan Wed 14-Aug-13 12:00:53

I have given up asking any of my family to ring me when they arrive at their destination- all I am told is that I would soon hear on the news if there had been a major disaster. Only my sister rings me to tell me how she survived the plane, coach, taxi trip home.

whenim64 Wed 14-Aug-13 12:11:42

I always ask my family to let me know they have arrived safely. There's one over the Atlantic as I type, but I know DIL will let me know he's landed. She's given me hourly reports since his London shuttle took off to Paris. It's handy when you have someone else who will fret for you! grin

Ariadne Wed 14-Aug-13 12:14:54

I now understand, and it's OK! Thanks, when smile

Greatnan Wed 14-Aug-13 12:17:19

I track flights on-line!

whenim64 Wed 14-Aug-13 12:55:44

I track flights, but don't always know which one they're on when there's a few doing the same run! My lot don't always think to gve me flight details! At least they tell me when they leave the country - one friend's mum asked my son if he'd seen their son in the last couple of days as he hadn't answered the phone - he was in Japan! grin

Nelliemoser Thu 15-Aug-13 08:04:59

Flipping heck! I have had a post deleted on this tread and I cannot for the life of me remember that I posted or what it was about. grin

Greatnan Thu 15-Aug-13 08:40:39

Nellie - GNHQ deleted a post because it looked like the poster was advertising/promoting their blog and replies had to be deleted as well - it doesn't mean there was anything wrong in your post.

Ariadne Thu 15-Aug-13 09:18:41

You and me both, Nellie, but it was because we were being helpful and blued the link, that's all! smile