Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Going to Berlin end of September.

(15 Posts)
Sel Sat 17-Aug-13 23:50:19

Nice Fours Seasons there too. Right in the old no mans land. Quite surreal.

MargaretX Sat 17-Aug-13 22:58:09

Its central, but used to be a bit sleazy. No doubt cleaned up now.

A great place to eat and buzzing with life is the Sony Center. Ultra modern architecture and lots of restaurants; tradional German, Pizza, Chinese Thai....

albertine Sat 17-Aug-13 20:39:00

Thank you all so much for your advice, it is really helpful. I am staying at the Pullman Hotel opposite the zoo, apparently. I don't know how central that is but will do some more research.

bluebell Sat 17-Aug-13 16:13:53

But not if you book the restaurant - that's the point. You have to go through security and show your passport but no queue

MargaretX Sat 17-Aug-13 16:09:09

A friend of mind visited the Reichstag while parliament was sitting. They had to book well in advance and prove their identity and then there were checks etc. It would take up too much time out of 3 days.

bluebell Sat 17-Aug-13 15:57:14

Oh nightowl - I wish I had a friend in Berlin - I just so want to go again!

j08 Sat 17-Aug-13 15:36:15

You could go up to the top of the tv tower (booking required), or the Park Inn Hotel in Alexander Platz has a public viewing platform on the roof for panoramic views (a lot cheaper than the tower).

nightowl Sat 17-Aug-13 12:49:20

That's a good tip bluebell I will remember it for my next visit. Also yours eGJ about the Cold War Museum.

I visit Berlin at least once a year because I have a friend living there. The trouble is, we sometimes get so carried away chatting and catching up that we forget to go out grin

eGJ Sat 17-Aug-13 11:11:31

Are you intetrested in the Cold War era? The Cold War Museum is very interesting www.ddr-museum.de/en/ as is the old Stassi headquarters www.stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.htm More chilling is the prison built by the prisoners themselves en.stiftung-hsh.de/document.php?cat_id=CAT_231 We were shown round by an ex prisoner who had been imprisoned for being a punk. A contrast to all the glitz and new building, but part of recent history that shouldn't be forgotten

Top of the list is The Cold War Museum as not too demanding.

Lots of good eating places - yes coffee & cakes or currywurst mit pommes are both essential.

Have a wonderful trip albertine

bluebell Sat 17-Aug-13 10:53:20

Oh the Reichstag - how could I forget! We booked lunch in the restaurant and so escaped all the queues and then after lunch visited the rest if the building. Lunch was lovely and the views fantastic! Foster's dome is amazing - at the top, lie on your back on the benches and look up at the sky- wow!

nightowl Sat 17-Aug-13 10:40:41

Museum island is fantastic and is very central, the Pergamon is a must see. You can buy a pass to include all the museums but I'm not sure you will have time to do them all in three days. Angela Merckel lives just around the corner (her home was pointed out to us by a very helpful Berliner).

I have been several times but still haven't managed to visit the Reichstag as it is necessary to book in advance or join a long queue in the hope of booking at short notice. I believe it is possible to visit the rooftop restaurant without booking but it may be wise to book a table.

Don't forget to make time for coffee and cake stops - wonderful cakes!

Weather wise I think Berlin seems to be a slightly more extreme example of British weather - so it could be very warm in September but showers are always possible. Have a wonderful time!

bluebell Fri 16-Aug-13 15:31:41

Do you like art nouveau?

bluebell Fri 16-Aug-13 15:31:03

The Jewish Museum and the holocaust memorial. Brilliant public transport - trams, buses, u- Bahn, s- Bahn - day tickets good value. Where are you staying? The old East Berlin and the remains of the wall. I just loved Berlin and would go again

MargaretX Fri 16-Aug-13 15:25:27

Make a sightseeing trip to Potsdam. That is where the German royal family lived (including Queen Victoria's daughter)and it was in the Russian Zone after 1945. This now been done up and the lovely palace of SansSoucci has been restored. Berlin and Potsdam are linked with a lot of water. A trip on these lakes past fairytale castles is a good way to see the greener side of Berlin. 3 days is not a lot for a city but if the weather is fine I'd go for a 2 hour river/lake cruise.
Unfortunately an underground railway is being built and Unter den Linden
was a real mess when we were there. The sightseeing buses were all crowded upon one another due to the building going on, but you can still see a lot. Checkpoint Charlie and the Brandenburger Gate. Depends on how much you can walk, you may need to take the bus but you can always get off it as often as you like.
Hope this has been a help.....

albertine Fri 16-Aug-13 14:43:14

Hi
I will be staying in Berlin for 3 days in September. I love the arts history, museums. Any recommendations for visit and tips on getting around, please. What should I pack - weather ?