Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice with charity request please

(40 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 20-Aug-13 12:27:54

Many of you know that I'm fostering two Afghan boys (16 and 17)under a private fostering agreement. Their father pays a small amount towards their food costs and they help a little around the house (they're actually willing but hopeless), but they have very limited means. The boys are currently sharing one laptop, but when they return to school in September the requirements of the course (Customer Service NVQ) mean that ideally they should have a laptop each. I could stretch to buying one for them, but I know they already feel slightly awkward about me buying their toiletries and all of their language materials, which are very expensive - and, more importantly from my point of view, I wouldn't buy laptops for my own children: they were all encouraged to get jobs and earn enough money to buy their own. My Afghan boys can't get jobs yet because their English is still very limited and their priority must be on improving their language skills and studying. So I was wondering if anyone knows whether it might be worth me approaching the Lion's or Rotary Clubs and asking if they would buy one?

j08 Tue 20-Aug-13 12:44:33

Nothing ventured nothing gained grannya. Give it a go. If they can't provide, they might suggest something.

Ariadne Tue 20-Aug-13 13:03:21

ga will pm you!

shysal Tue 20-Aug-13 13:03:26

ga, if you were able to set up a fund of some sort, I would happily make a contribution, and I'm sure I am not alone. I think you would have enough money in no time, given the right publicity. Your fostering of the boys is such a selfless act, It would be a privilege to help in a small way. flowers

Ariadne Tue 20-Aug-13 13:06:43

Oh, re my pm - am happy to do letter of intro too!

glammanana Tue 20-Aug-13 13:41:32

Hi ga have pm'd you also your in box will be buzzing grin

Grandmanorm Tue 20-Aug-13 14:22:20

Hello ga I have sent a pm.

kittylester Tue 20-Aug-13 15:02:22

ga I haven't pm'd you grin but would happily contribute to such a worthwhile cause.

PRINTMISS Tue 20-Aug-13 16:07:42

Good afternoon grannyactivist, and what a challenge you have. My husband was a Lion for 25 years, and from that experience I would say, yes, do approach them. My association with lots of charities whilst I was still involved in that way, was that Rotary, Round Table and Lions are all happy to support a cause, the Lions in particular (or in the club that my husband belonged to) like to purchase the item, rather than give cash. Rotary & Round Table I found are quite good at supporting with presence. There are probably other grns who have had similar experience. I always asked (never for me!), and was never refused. I did find too, that once the support was given, the club appreciated an up-date, or involvement in some way.

Ariadne Tue 20-Aug-13 16:29:15

As a Rotarian, it's good to hear that, PRINTMISS. Clubs have a mandate to give support within their local community as well as internationally, and will always do their best, discussing each request carefully.

PRINTMISS Tue 20-Aug-13 17:13:32

Yes Ariadne, lots of people out there, doing lots of good things, just because they get great satisfaction from helping out somewhere along the line. Getting to know the folk who need the help, and realising there are those who definitely do not! Would not have swapped a moment of what we did, and the pleasure we got, (even in freezing conditions!) we have some great memories of comradeship and good-will.

Greatnan Tue 20-Aug-13 17:27:28

I would also be happy to contribute to such a worthwhile cause. I can't remember how it worked, but many of us contributed to a cause for which a member was doing a very long walk. It was very easy to make a donation.
I am always interested in Ariadne's reports on her Rotarian work - I think the idea of gleaning crops that the farmers can't use is brilliant.

Deedaa Tue 20-Aug-13 17:37:30

I'd been wondering how you were getting on with your boys "grannyactivist" smile I hope you find some backing and they are able to make the most of their time here.

Mishap Tue 20-Aug-13 17:54:38

Try googling educational charities - there are lots of them, and my OH got through medical school with their help, as he did not get a grant or paretnal support.

There will also be charities involved with E European needs; and there are some small local charities that can often help.

CAB is likely to know who all these people are.

nanaej Tue 20-Aug-13 18:31:13

GA also happy to contribute to any fund raising if that is the route you go down. Good luck.

grannyactivist Tue 20-Aug-13 22:19:41

Many, many thanks to all of you who have offered advice and even financial contributions - the latter took me completely by surprise and brought me to tears. I was dumbstruck when I got home this evening to find so many responses and I do appreciate your support enormously. smile flowers
I have just written a letter to the local Rotary Club with some background information and asked them if they will buy a laptop and the Windows software to go with it. I will keep you informed as to the outcome.

nanaej Thu 22-Aug-13 18:01:11

Good luck! hope it all comes together smile

grannyactivist Fri 11-Oct-13 23:32:32

Thought you might like an update on this.
Two men from Rotary are coming to visit me and the boys on Wednesday to discuss my begging letter application for a laptop for the boys. I shall let you know the outcome. smile

BerylBee Sat 12-Oct-13 08:39:38

Fingers crossed for you and your foster children.
I am full of admiration for you, grannyactivist .

PRINTMISS Sat 12-Oct-13 08:55:45

Well done grannyactivist, sometimes asking is the hardest thing to do, because normally most of us just get on with things, but a good cause is always worth supporting. How are the boys getting on?

JessM Sat 12-Oct-13 09:07:17

There are some "social enterprises" that recondition laptops I think.

numberplease Sat 12-Oct-13 16:40:51

Good so far, hoping for an equally good outcome.

Penstemmon Sat 12-Oct-13 17:18:53

OoH I hope it goes well smile

Deedaa Sun 13-Oct-13 00:06:07

Good luck for Wednesday. It seems a very reasonable request to me, something that will actually be some practical use and further their education. smile

grannyactivist Wed 16-Oct-13 21:16:56

The Rotary visit went very well and I'm expecting to hear back soon. I said that any laptop would be a bonus and we're not bothered about brands or anything, just so long as it works. I'm pretty confident that their recommendation to the relevant committee will be positive. The boys were on form and both the men were impressed with how much English language they've accumulated.
The lads start their work experience for their NVQs tomorrow and are re-taking maths GCSEs in a couple of weeks. The older boy has been practising 'smiling' in readiness for giving good customer service; he makes it look quite painful! grin