Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fashionable words!

(172 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Sun 08-Sep-13 20:29:06

What do other GNetters think of all of the latest descriptions of things we took for granted. The comment about NCT made me think. I will list a few:

Babies now have a 'Growth Spurt' (mine just grew and fed accordingly)
Babies now suffer from Separation Anxiety (mine were clingy at times)
Breasts now have 'Fore milk, something in the middle and something at the end (mine just fed the baby until it was full)
Babies have to bond with the father before anything else in the world (mine bonded as and when daddy was home from work)
Some babies 'co-sleep' (mine sometimes slept with me but mostly in their crib by the bed)
Some babies are being brought up with something called 'Attachment' (mine were put in a sling and carried round)
Dads seem to need and update on everything Baby does via text several times a day so that he doesn't feel neglected.

There must be more strange and wonderful things going on in bringing up babies these days. Any thoughts? grin

Elegran Thu 19-Sep-13 08:46:39

No arse until almost the end, flicketyB. - pituit ar y

Flowerofthewest Thu 19-Sep-13 00:10:10

Still can't spell Piturity pituraty pitur,......... I give up!!!blush

Aka Thu 19-Sep-13 00:07:39

One of the puppies I bred went to a family who already had a 2-year old bitch. She started lactating and fed the puppy for several weeks even though she'd never had any pups herself.

Flowerofthewest Thu 19-Sep-13 00:05:11

I think its something to do with the Piturity Gland being 'activated' may be wrong -GALEN??? smile

Deedaa Wed 18-Sep-13 21:52:02

I have heard that it is possible to breastfeed an adopted baby. I suppose a lot of hormones will kick in and help when you first get the baby too.

I will have to look after the new Gs for a couple of days. My daughter has got newfangled bottles that will simulate breastfeeding and she was trying to show me how to put them together. When I said that it looked bad when his mother couldn't work his bottles she said "But I don't NEED them do I?" grin

Flowerofthewest Wed 18-Sep-13 18:42:39

A mum who was at my very first pre-natal class was adopting a baby and she was educated to stimulate her breasts so that she could breast feed the new born baby. I was amazed.
She did go on to feed the baby successfully.

Greatnan Tue 17-Sep-13 21:10:53

That must have been really hard, anno, being separated for so long.

annodomini Tue 17-Sep-13 21:07:49

DS2 was hauled off into SCBU when he was a day old - there was no room for me and I was sent home. Nor was there a milk bank for me to supply. For nine days I wasn't allowed to see him and it was expressing my milk to maintain the flow that kept me sane. Luckily, when he came home, he took to breast feeding with great gusto.

Penstemmon Tue 17-Sep-13 20:56:29

DD2 & I produced masses of milk but DD1's babies had tongue tie and were a less efficient feeders so think that slowed milk production!

AlieOxon Tue 17-Sep-13 20:22:04

The only time in my life I have really eaten everything I wanted!

JessM Tue 17-Sep-13 18:53:27

wow alie you must have been eating like a horse!

AlieOxon Tue 17-Sep-13 18:14:44

Self-refilling milk cartons in front of you!

I expressed milk for premature babies in Lewisham in the 60s, while doing do for my baby who had a problem sucking.....eventually produced 3 pints a day, believe it or not!

JessM Tue 17-Sep-13 17:22:52

They are wonderful devices aren't they

Flowerofthewest Tue 17-Sep-13 12:34:20

And how lucky to have breasts!!!!! grin

Penstemmon Mon 16-Sep-13 22:23:40

Lovely to be able to help out in such a way.. good on you flower

Deedaa Mon 16-Sep-13 21:35:35

I think that's a lovely story Flowerorfthewest your friend must have been so worried about what would happen to her baby. How lucky you were in the right place at the right time - and great to have been able to tell the "baby" all about it smile

Flowerofthewest Mon 16-Sep-13 20:26:21

Thought my original post was entitled 'Fashionable Words' oh well! confused

Flowerofthewest Mon 16-Sep-13 20:22:55

MISUNDERSTANDING:::

My Aunt WAS a wet nurse and it must have been for more wealthy women. not undernourished, didn't really know who it was for but cleared up in previous posts.

Flowerofthewest Mon 16-Sep-13 20:15:46

I breast fed a friend's baby when I found her lying on a padded stool with a bottle in her mouth supported by a cushion on her tummy. She was a week old and breast fed, her mummy had been taken into hospital with kidney stones and had to have her kidney removed. I was breastfeeding a 5 month old baby and as the little one wouldn't take formula from a bottle I asked permission of the parents and they were only too pleased. I fed the baby for 2 days until the mum was well enough to have her to the hospital. It was the most natural thing to do for someone. My aunt used to be a 'wet nurse' in the 30s in Wales and often fed babies for undernourished mothers.

I was able to tell the young lady 3 years ago when I saw her for the first time in about 30 years. She was enthralled and thanked me for 'saving her life' I said that it probably wasn't that drastic but she loved the story.

Aka Mon 16-Sep-13 18:54:39

Actually it sounds to me as if it is you who is trying to be judgemental and stir this up. I could quite easily take offence to your post but I will allow it to pass.

Penstemmon Mon 16-Sep-13 18:41:21

Aka very glad you are not being quarrelsome. It is just that I have observed that sometimes people make faux innocent remarks with the intent to upset a poster on purpose. Pleased that is not the case here as we all seem to be fed up of those strategies.

Aka Mon 16-Sep-13 18:35:07

I'm not quarrelling with anyone, just being very careful I don't break any forum rules.

Penstemmon Mon 16-Sep-13 18:33:45

Ouch.. hope that is not deliberately misunderstanding a comment to cause a quarrel.

Aka Mon 16-Sep-13 18:31:33

But I thought the last word had been kindly granted to you? confused

Ana Mon 16-Sep-13 18:23:09

It's not my permission you need, Aka...hmm