Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fashionable words!

(172 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Sun 08-Sep-13 20:29:06

What do other GNetters think of all of the latest descriptions of things we took for granted. The comment about NCT made me think. I will list a few:

Babies now have a 'Growth Spurt' (mine just grew and fed accordingly)
Babies now suffer from Separation Anxiety (mine were clingy at times)
Breasts now have 'Fore milk, something in the middle and something at the end (mine just fed the baby until it was full)
Babies have to bond with the father before anything else in the world (mine bonded as and when daddy was home from work)
Some babies 'co-sleep' (mine sometimes slept with me but mostly in their crib by the bed)
Some babies are being brought up with something called 'Attachment' (mine were put in a sling and carried round)
Dads seem to need and update on everything Baby does via text several times a day so that he doesn't feel neglected.

There must be more strange and wonderful things going on in bringing up babies these days. Any thoughts? grin

Aka Mon 16-Sep-13 18:19:37

Permission to speak Ana wink

Galen Mon 16-Sep-13 17:56:43

hmm do you mean gloves, or what?

Greatnan Mon 16-Sep-13 17:41:03

You can have the last word, Ana! My quizzes are on.

Ana Mon 16-Sep-13 17:39:08

Perhaps it was in those days.

Greatnan Mon 16-Sep-13 17:18:37

I have a hunch it is more common than some people might think!

Elegran Mon 16-Sep-13 16:25:15

When my father was a baby and his cousin was a few months younger, the cousin's mother had what would now be diagnosed as post-natal depression. She would get a bottle ready for baby, then forget about it and leave it standing for hours before giving it to him. Needless to say the milk would turn in hot weather, and baby would alternate between being hungry and having an upset tummy. Then he would be fractious and difficult and she would get more upset.

Enter my father's mother, who had plenty of milk (and patience) Once a day she called in and fed her baby and her nephew together, like twins, so that he had one good meal a day, which made him more content, and his mother less trauchled, and more able to look after him.

Riverwalk Mon 16-Sep-13 15:46:54

I don't doubt Greatnan - not claiming my worries are rational grin

Greatnan Mon 16-Sep-13 15:41:40

All I can tell you, Riverwalk, is that the boys concerned are now two fine young men of 30 and 29! I think there is too much worrying now about infection, germs, etc. and apparently that is why so many children have allergies.

Riverwalk Mon 16-Sep-13 15:35:07

In normal circumstances I don't think I would have suckled another child - not even my sister's.

I'd be worrying about cross-infection and passing-on unsuitable antibodies.

thatbags Mon 16-Sep-13 14:37:25

wisewoman, I'm saddened that you find rationalism a problem. I was brought up and educated to defend or support my views and my feelings with robust and rational argument, to examine my feelings to work out whether they were reasonable or not, and so forth. I think it's a good thing to do and I try to do it. So I think it is reasonable to ask someone why they feel a certain way about something and for people to ask me similar questions.

I don't think it's reasonable to hold onto views or feelings which don't stand up to rational examination.

These are, of course, only my views. I'm only trying to explain here why I asked ana the question I did ask her. She has now explained a little further what she meant, for which thank you, ana.

Greatnan Mon 16-Sep-13 14:07:52

What a pity you didn't explain yourself when you were asked what you meant. Actually, it is not at all odd, but you are entitled to think it is.

wisewoman Mon 16-Sep-13 14:07:00

Micelf" I note that *Ana said she FOUND it odd - not that it was odd. She was expressing a feeling which she admitted was illogical! She was not attacking anyone. I shouldn't have stayed here. On the way out for a massage - hurrah! Love and peace to everyone.

Ana Mon 16-Sep-13 14:01:41

You may have interpreted my post as 'personal' MiceElf but it was not. I meant 'odd' as in 'not the norm' or 'unusual', not weird or unnatural

Just thought I'd make that point.

MiceElf Mon 16-Sep-13 13:56:43

Wise woman, while I agree with much of what you say. I don't think this thread became 'robust' until it was made personal by one member.

Let me explain. If a member started a thread asking 'How do you feel about the practice of breast feeding someone else's child?' any comments would have been acceptable. What caused the hurt was the way a particular member's daughters' practice was described as 'odd'. It became personal. And, that, I think, is what should not happen. And it was not surprising that that comment gave rise to questioning.

wisewoman Mon 16-Sep-13 13:31:13

It seems that now people are being forced to "defend" their position. Surely we can all express our feelings, which we may accept are irrational, without being made to feel weird. Oh that everyone was rational with a clearly laid out explanation of how we feel and why we feel that way. I can understand why people don't post. I know that certain posters will say we need robust debate - but do we really need to debate how people feel? It is not an essay or a dissertation - just a point of view! I didn't understand the threads where people said it was all getting very aggressive but I see it now. I know I shouldn't have posted and given more ammunition to the rationalists but as I have said before on this forum it upsets me when people are attacked as if their views are stupid and certainly of no consequence - whether I agree with their views or not. Whew, I feel better now. Will go away for a while.

whenim64 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:58:38

smile

Sel Mon 16-Sep-13 12:57:00

I'm fine with that when 'agree to disagree' sounds good. Fortunately the problem of whether to offer my nipples around is unlikely to trouble me now smile

whenim64 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:37:59

We'll have to agree to disagree, Sel. It's a discussion I've participated in several times over the years, and find that there isn't the barrier to feeding others' babies in times of need as one would think. My midwife niece says these conversations start up on the maternity ward quite regularly. She job-shared for the first few months after going back to work, and thought of sharing breast-feeding with her friend as a result of hearing other new mums discussing their plans. If the expressed milk she put in her friend's fridge need supplementing, her friend obliged, and vice versa.

Sel Mon 16-Sep-13 12:27:31

I expect I wouldn't think twice about it either whenim64 if I was in Africa, lactating, with a hungry baby of a dying mother. You say most of us wouldn't think twice about it - most of the contributors on here that is, not mothers in a first world country I suspect.

MiceElf Mon 16-Sep-13 12:19:10

There's nothing wrong with wanting, or not wanting to do it. What is unjustified is describing another member's daughters' practice as 'odd'.

thatbags Mon 16-Sep-13 12:18:52

OK, but you can hardly be surprised at the question when you entered the discussion of you own free will and declared something odd that others don't find odd at all. I will draw my own conclusion, and it is that your comments on this thread strike me as odd, or rather your decision not to explain your feelings on the subject. Why comment at all if you aren't prepared to explain what you mean?

whenim64 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:18:10

But breast feeding is a natural act, so wouldn't most people be expected to support it? Thank goodness for those women who can and do share their breast milk and offer to feed other women's babies in times of need. I particularly remember seeing a documentary about some very sick babies in an African country, in which a doctor breast fed a hungry baby whose mother was dying of AIDS. It's something most of us wouldn't think twice about.

MiceElf Mon 16-Sep-13 12:17:32

I don't think anyone can draw conclusions from silence. It's a genuine question to which I , for one, would appreciate an answer. Since you raised it in the first place.

Sel Mon 16-Sep-13 12:15:47

Ana really doesn't have to justify her opinion. I've agreed with her that I too wouldn't have wanted to breast feed another woman's baby.

Some would be happy to do it, some wouldn't. For goodness sake.

Ana Mon 16-Sep-13 12:14:42

Do you really think I'm going to enter into any more 'discussion' on this subject, thatbags? You can draw your own conclusions from the fact that I'm not. And I'm sure you and others will.

Carry on....