Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Beards on men.

(45 Posts)
berdie Mon 07-Oct-13 11:05:57

I have just recently grown a beard, and have had a mixed reaction from the ladies in my life. So may I throw this subject open to my friends on GN, and ask the question, beards or no beards ?, and reasons why.wink

kittylester Mon 07-Oct-13 11:15:47

My DH has had a beard for all our married life, initially, because he would rather spend extra time in bed with me wink that waste it shaving. He keeps it really well trimmed unlike his brother who, at 75, has a huge Father Christmas beard which, I think, makes him look old. A well trimmed beard looks good, a straggly beard isn't.

I can think of 3 occasions when DH has shaved his beard completely - the first twice it terrified the children who were aged about 3 or 4. The most recent time DD3, aged about 15 at the time, couldn't look at him without laughing.

Why did you decide to grow a beard berdie?

kittylester Mon 07-Oct-13 11:16:39

Shall we have a different thread 'Beards on women'? grin

berdie Mon 07-Oct-13 11:20:01

Thanks kittylester I wondered how long it would be before that came up. Ta! smile smile

berdie Mon 07-Oct-13 11:23:33

Kittylester I have had them on and off over the years, mainly in the winter as I work outside most of the time. I was curious to see what the reaction was.smile

gracesmum Mon 07-Oct-13 11:30:07

You beat me to it kitty I was about to say "Better than beards on women"!!
I wonder if Paxman still has his beard? Didn't do a lot for him did it?

berdie Mon 07-Oct-13 11:30:48

Just mention to DW about beards on women, laughed her head off.

Gagagran Mon 07-Oct-13 11:31:51

DH grew a beard when DD was 3. He soon shaved it off when she refused to let him kiss her because of the "fur". smile

Charleygirl Mon 07-Oct-13 11:33:16

I do not like beards on men or women for that matter!

bikergran Mon 07-Oct-13 11:52:01

some women have a condtion that they cannot help grow unwanted hair, they have no control over it and is a very distressing condition. and very little treatment for it.

tanith Mon 07-Oct-13 11:57:46

I don't like them , my son has 'stubble' which looks good on him but I'm glad I don't have to get too close too often. I really don't like how they look or feel and often wonder if 'food' drops into it.. YUK!!

kittylester Mon 07-Oct-13 11:59:58

Any food dropped in the direction of DH's beard would slide off tanith grin

kittylester Mon 07-Oct-13 12:01:28

There are some photos on my profile of my bearded DH!

petallus Mon 07-Oct-13 12:12:38

I once knew a man who was very attractive to women in a Byronic sort of way (he was a poet). All the married women had crushes on him. He had a beard. One day he shaved the beard off and there were these little chubby cheeks you couldn't see before. Everyone went off him but then he grew the beard back again and regained his appeal.

annodomini Mon 07-Oct-13 12:29:59

I had three bearded boyfriends before I met my ex. He had a silly little goatee which he shaved off just before the wedding and as far as I know he never grew it again. The toothbrush moustache stayed though.

ninathenana Mon 07-Oct-13 14:05:10

DH had beard and or moustache (has moustache in our wedding pics) at various times in the early years. Hasn't grown one for about 30yrs though. I didn't mind it too much then but now it grows grey I think it's very ageing.
DS has one most of the time, that's because he's a lazy bugger !!

glammanana Mon 07-Oct-13 14:05:51

mr.glamma has always had a beard only once has he shaved it off and DCs walked past him on the drive and asked me who was the man mowing the grass !! he soon grew it back.
Like kitty you can see him & his pride and joy in my profile pic's of the wedding 2 weeks ago,and if you scroll down to the bottom when he needed a trim,he did have a look of "Uncle Albert" at the time grin

Mishap Mon 07-Oct-13 14:30:25

OH has designer stubble - I like it!

feetlebaum Mon 07-Oct-13 14:30:42

I wore a fairly neat beard for about even years. Then one day on a whim I shaved it off -- and there was a much younger bloke who'd been hiding behind it!

Lona Mon 07-Oct-13 14:38:54

berdie Maybe you should do a public profile and put a photo on of your beard?
wink

gracesmum Mon 07-Oct-13 14:40:59

DH went through that phase of having a beard which went down like a cup of cold sick in his smooooooooooooooth City accountancy office. He shaved it off and someone at Church was heard to ask who the new "choirboy" was! It had taken at lest 10 years off him. (Thinks: if I grew a beard and shaved it off would it take 10 years off me? No? Thought not)

grumppa Mon 07-Oct-13 15:11:51

First grew a beard during school holidays. Full set since leaving school apart from shaving it off for amateur productions of The Dumb Waiter and See How They Run, the latter occasion in 1967. The luxuriant jet black is now white.

annodomini Mon 07-Oct-13 15:23:04

Mo-vember coming up - DS1 grew a moustache for charity last year. He looked weird.

bikergran Mon 07-Oct-13 16:30:08

but back to the subject,,,,I don't like beards, yuk! bit of stubble or little got'e but that's it.

Lona Mon 07-Oct-13 16:59:13

I like the designer stubble look on some men, but I wouldn't want to kiss any man with a proper beard! even if I got the chance!

Maybe Hugh Jackman wink