Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

cats! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

(57 Posts)
liminetta Fri 24-Jan-14 19:15:24

Does anyone have a solution to the number of cats using my garden as a toilet? My daffodils are struggling to come up through the mounds of cat poo that are regularly deposited there!
I thought cats usually bury their deposits, but not any more! Ime thoroughly fed up. Any advice please.

Galen Fri 24-Jan-14 19:50:47

Coffee grounds. Worked in DD's garden

Grannyknot Fri 24-Jan-14 19:59:37

Liminetta I agree, modern cats seem to have lost their manners. We have so many cats in our neighbourhood and if they pooh in the veg garden, I won't eat the veg from there.

merlotgran Fri 24-Jan-14 20:01:18

Get a Jack Russell grin

liminetta Fri 24-Jan-14 20:07:50

Thanks, [Galen], I will try anything that is suggested.I am going out tomorrow to get some holly bush cuttings to stick in the border, as well.
Sorry,[Merlotgran, I do not want a dog-had a terrier once, He was a nutcase!

liminetta Fri 24-Jan-14 20:19:23

Grannyknot, I sympathise with your problems,alike to mine; My DH said I could have a share of the lawn plot, to make a veg plot, but I wouldn't want to eat veg from there.I grow quite a bit of veg, and strawberries, in large pots, and the cats don't go on them.I also have a greenhouse which I love.I love my garden, and them cats have got it comin!!!!!!!

gratefulgran54 Fri 24-Jan-14 21:06:28

Anything citrus liminetta , orange peel, lemon slices, citronella garden candles etc. Cats hate it!

harrigran Fri 24-Jan-14 23:08:11

Lion dung, cats recognise it as a threat to them and stay clear.

whenim64 Fri 24-Jan-14 23:10:03

Chester Zoo sells lion dung, so probably others do, too.

harrigran Fri 24-Jan-14 23:12:41

Silent roar, pellets soaked in lion poo. Just scatter ball like pellets on the garden et voila !

ps Fri 24-Jan-14 23:31:28

I am led to believe that a clear plastic bottle half filled with water deters cats. I believe it is due to reflection of the eyes at night, I assume therefore that mirrors would act in the same way. Starfish I am told are also a deterrent although because they are perhaps poisonous to cats. I wouldn't assume there is a ready supply of starfish to hand though. I am however reliably informed that a Berretta 682 is a definite solution albeit rather noisy. That was a joke by the way. I have noticed that when in Hampshire I did suffer with cats mess in the flower beds but do not seem to suffer a similar fate in Cheshire, co-incidence I'm sure but very noticeable.

Flowerofthewest Fri 24-Jan-14 23:33:41

Orange peel, they dislike citrus, you can buy Lion Poo (Amazon do bags of it) It will keep them off you garden, so the 'tin' says. Ah Harrigan, just read your comment. Great minds and all that. grin

Iam64 Sat 25-Jan-14 09:21:03

Well, the lion pooh thing is news to me. When I had garden hens, we were never troubled by the fox, despite the fact we'd often see him trotting down the lane at the back of our garden. The woman I bought the hens from, said the scent of a male dog would deter a foxes, but recommended lamas or pigs as true deterrents. We invested in a fox proof hen house, as the garden isn't quite being enough for lamas or pigs. I wonder if lion pooh deters foxes?

KatyK Sat 25-Jan-14 09:48:37

They are said to be deterred if you plant coleus canina. They are put off by the pungent smell allegedly.

Anne58 Sat 25-Jan-14 09:58:22

I think it's a bit OTT to refuse to eat veg from a plot that cats might have pooed in! What about faeces from wildlife, hedgehogs, foxes, birds, moles, mice, voles, shrews etc?

Do you think commercial growers patrol their fields chasing any errant cats away?

Oldgreymare Sat 25-Jan-14 10:04:26

Holly works, up to a point (no pun intended)as the cats stop using that part of the garden but transfer to another,I had holly strategically placed in 4 parts of the garden (seems to work against slugs in pots of hostas too) last year.
Wretched cats have started using the very large gravel in our front garden (and our neighbour's). They probably think of it as an enormous litter tray. Their 'deposits' are very difficult to spot amongst the stones. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and double Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr angry

Oldgreymare Sat 25-Jan-14 10:06:28

Phoenix the 'Science Buffs' will probably correct me but I believe there is something 'extra nasty' in cat poo sad

bikergran Sat 25-Jan-14 10:14:18

we have 2 cats (daughters left overs)!! I must admit for many yrs now they have only used "their own garden" I have no idea why? maybe it is because other cats are about and ours stay within their own territory, they very rarely stray outside the garden fence.I They are a pain though and although I am a cat/dog/animal lover I will be glad when we are cat free as they shed their black hairs all over the place, they stick to my blinds etc and not good for DH c.o.p.d but wouldn't have the heart to re home them, one of them sits with me and watches Coronation st smile

petallus Sat 25-Jan-14 10:33:43

Would it be much better to eat vegetables where lion poo has been scattered?

Yes, cats are a bloody nuisance. My 15 year old fluffy white one poos in the nice soft earth where I have planted bulbs. She sheds her hair everywhere and seems to make it her life's work to invade as many bedrooms as she can and sleep on as many chairs as possible. The other day I put a small item of clothing on the very end of the ironing board and when I looked again, there she was perched sitting on it.

She is also bad-tempered. She also attacks me for no reason.

petallus Sat 25-Jan-14 10:34:29

She won't make friends with our lonely pet rabbit.

Grannyknot Sat 25-Jan-14 11:58:48

phoenix I agree with you that it is OTT - but I can't help it! It's a mental thing smile, and it's not "might have" - I see them!

I do fantasise about a water pistol approach. And I like cats, I promise!

Flowerofthewest Sat 25-Jan-14 12:08:10

A good friend of mine shoots pretty beads onto her terraced garden with a fisherman's sling. The cats hate it and the 'shelves' of her terrace look beautiful.

dorsetpennt Sat 25-Jan-14 13:12:09

It is usually male cats who poo in other gardens as a 'marking' for other cats. I usually have female cats as they don't wander but stay within their own boundary. There is always the odd one that doesn't before you all leap on me. My cat poos in her own garden. She usually buries it too, but the weather has been so wet it's made the soil heavy so she hasn't been able to bury hers. I have a spray bottle full of water that I spray on any interloper, if I can catch them but to be honest it seems my cat is enough to keep strange cats at bay. We do have foxes here, in fact I was woken up early one morning by several of them having choir practice on my back lawn. The 'extra nasty' in cat poo is that some carry a parasite that can cause blindness in small children if they touch it. So be vigilant about picking it up - as well as a scoop I wear disposable gloves. The Lion poo sounds good - but I can't use it as I don't want mine to poo anywhere else,

feetlebaum Sat 25-Jan-14 14:10:58

Poo? Do they do wee-wees as well? What is all this nursery talk!

Flowerofthewest Sat 25-Jan-14 14:17:02

number ones then and number twos grin