Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Terms of endearment for grandchildren?

(65 Posts)
MamaCaz Sun 16-Feb-14 15:34:30

I was wondering what terms of endearment, if any, you use with your grandchildren.

Over the last two and a half years I have tried out one or two when talking to DGS, but nothing really felt right. Recently, I have got into the habit of using 'pet', simply because I couldn't think of anything better. However, DiL has now commented on it, saying how 'northern' it is. She is probably right, given that I am originally from Yorkshire, though I don't remember it ever being used in my family as a child. Just to make it clear, this wasn't said in a nasty or critical way, just as a matter of fact, but it has still made me think twice about whether to continue using it or not. Any suggestions? grin

Ana Sun 16-Feb-14 15:37:10

I used to call DD 'sweetie' quite a lot when she was young, but when I tried it on one of my GDs she was quite indignant "I'm not a sweetie toffee, Nana!" hmm

Nelliemoser Sun 16-Feb-14 15:40:23

At present it's his name with "ikins" on the end. He is too young to complain just yet.

DD was always "Blossom" or "Blossom knickers" I have no idea why.

kittylester Sun 16-Feb-14 15:43:24

DGD1 is called 'Beauty' because I think she is - I know it's not PC! And, totally unPC is DGS2's 'Bertie the b****r' and he is also called that because he is - though not in his hearing obviously!! grin

joannapiano Sun 16-Feb-14 15:44:54

I often used to greet one of my GDs that I minded regularly when she was tiny, with "Hello Sweetie Pie!". After a few weeks she obviously thought it was a correct form of address as she started to reply "Hello Pie".

posie Sun 16-Feb-14 15:45:40

"Poppet" & "sweetheart" Don't know why, it just popped out.

MamaCaz Sun 16-Feb-14 15:47:47

Kittylester: grin.

I don't think I'll be pinching that one off you! Well, obviously I couldn't, as his name isn't Bertie! grin

MamaCaz Sun 16-Feb-14 15:50:13

Posie: I had tried out 'sweetheart' on him but it felt too 'romantic' if you know what I mean. I like the idea of 'Poppet' though- I might try that smile

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 16:03:37

Poppet, but DGS might object soon as he is nearly 6.
Chick (which is what DM called me when she had gone through the list of everyone else's names)
Their names with alliterative bits added on, or extra bits.
Pet is fine!

I can't tell you what DD1&2 call each other.

Agus Sun 16-Feb-14 16:21:06

I call both GD's mo cridhe, Scottish Gaelic meaning my heart but they also have nicknames taken from their names.

Brendawymms Sun 16-Feb-14 16:23:49

India is Indy pindy and Romilly is Rom pom! My three GS 's are called by their full names. Don't know why.

KatyK Sun 16-Feb-14 17:36:01

I call my DGD chicken, chicken pie or pidge! She doesn't seem to mind even though she is nearly 14.

grannyactivist Sun 16-Feb-14 17:38:56

When we're being a bit silly I call my grandson 'pot-egg' or 'noggin'. It makes him laugh. I also call him 'fruit' occasionally - a term of endearment used by my father in law.

lefthanded Sun 16-Feb-14 18:05:33

I cal my 5-y-o grandson "Pumpkin". Not sure where it came from.

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:07:07

DD1 calls DGS pumpkin.

FlicketyB Sun 16-Feb-14 18:59:07

DGS is called 'Noodle', it shares the same initial letter as his name. DGD is Izzy Wizzy.

I also have a rhyme for each child. The one for DGS is the one I used for DD, 'Little Miss, Pretty Miss, blessings light upon you. If I had half a crown a day, I'd spend it all upon you.'

DS was round and fat, so his rhyme began, 'Davy, Davy, Dumpling, put him in a pot....' DGS is long and thin so, for some reason his rhyme is 'If Moses supposes his toes are roses,.....' When he was tiny he enjoyed all the sibilants.

No visit is complete until I have sat with each on my lap and repeated 'their' rhyme.

My grandma always called us 'cherub'. I tried it but it sounded wrong coming from me.

Minty Sun 16-Feb-14 19:03:27

The granddaughter that I no longer see was always, 'Sweetpea.'

Flowerofthewest Sun 16-Feb-14 21:36:43

Gorgeous Boy and Gorgeous Girl, Fairy Grand daughter (we have/had a mutual love of the little beings) Handsome. Otbot, Toto

numberplease Sun 16-Feb-14 21:55:36

I used to call one grandson Honey Bun, but for some reason, he doesn`t like it anymore, now that he`s 19!

Deedaa Sun 16-Feb-14 22:01:30

I've always called GS1 (whose name is actually Roman) Robo Bean. I'm not sure why - it just happened. His baby brother Luca I usually call Gorgeous, because he is. Sometimes I call him Lulu, but I can see that might be a problem when he gets older confused

harrigran Sun 16-Feb-14 22:07:30

Mine get called sweetie or sweetie pie but their full name if they are being naughty. I used to call DS pumpkin pie but not since he was 18 and someone overheard me grin

ninathenana Sun 16-Feb-14 22:45:55

DGS are both at various times sweetheart or darling. I did absent mindedly call oldest one sweetie the other day, he didn't complain but I thought to myself it sounded wrong for a boy.

annodomini Sun 16-Feb-14 23:39:36

I often call one of my GSs 'Toby or not Toby'. blush

bikergran Mon 17-Feb-14 08:17:00

"spud" for 7 yr old GS smile

Kiora Mon 17-Feb-14 08:44:12

I made up a little ditty for my first grandchild and have sung (after a fashion) to all 8. They love it. Up until they are about 5 then I have to stop. " who's the best little babby in the world baby in the world, who's the best little babby in the world FULL NAME cos their nanna said so. Your the best little babby in the world because your nanna says so and on and on and on! Their so easily pleased. Well up to five they are anyway.