Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Terms of endearment for pets.

(50 Posts)
shysal Sun 16-Feb-14 16:49:30

I am guilty of talking in a really soppy way to my cats, far more so than to GCs whom I call by their given names now that they are older.
Saffron is 'Baby Girl, 'Poppet', Saffy Waffy' or 'Darling' as the mood takes me.
Bugsie is 'Baby Boy', 'Buggles', Bugsy Wugsy or 'Buggerlugs'.
Also they are offered brekkie-wekkie and din-dins, after which they have a piddley-widdley and/or a poo-poo.blush
How do you address your animals?

shysal Sun 16-Feb-14 16:54:39

Sorry Mamacaz to jump on your 'terms of endearment' band wagon! It set me thinking. smile

Elegran Sun 16-Feb-14 16:59:24

When I was a child, we had a neighbour with two pekinese, who would be taken out to "do their oo-oos on the grassy-grassy" and spoken to in similar baby talk all the time. Their owner discovered that it was my fifth birthday, and exclaimed in wonder that her pets were the same age as me.

I was not impressed and told her, "I would have thought they could speak properly by now!"

kittylester Sun 16-Feb-14 17:09:23

We don't call our 1.5 cats anything silly but I always ask them if 'Daddy' has fed them yet. blush

rosesarered Sun 16-Feb-14 17:31:34

1.5 cats? or was that 15 cats? I must admit I used to sometimes say daft things to the cat [not going to fess up to what they were though!]

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-14 17:56:29

DH always had his own names for our dogs. Benji the JR was Benge from Penge, Nahla the Rhodesian Ridgeback, Gnarls Barklie, Millie, our JR, is Mrs. Mills and when he lets Peggy out at night he shouts, 'Git aht my Pub!' hmm

Marelli Sun 16-Feb-14 18:08:22

blush - oh, I couldn't possibly tell you!

absent Sun 16-Feb-14 18:17:25

Dingbat is known as Fatty, Bodoni is often shortened to Dones, Frutiger is Small But Feisty and the late Helvetica was often known as Little Mr White Paws. Hello Girly Girl is the mode of address to Bodoni and Frutiger with the concomitant Hello Boyly Boy to Fats. Embarrassing really.

shysal Sun 16-Feb-14 18:35:47

Love the font names absent!

Sook Sun 16-Feb-14 18:36:18

My first lurcher was named Towser but he was always Mr Wobbs to me. My two male hounds are aka Bert Basset and Google. I had a beautiful Tortoiseshell cat called Ella and when it was feeding time I used to call Ella bella mozzarella in an Italian accent (don't ask me why). Caspar her predecessor was Sir Hissy.grin

Iam64 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:49:48

Seriously, is it an inevitable part of ageing that we begin to become a bit less inclined to hold in our 'be sensible' bits. I hear myself talking in a soft voice to the dogs, whose my best girl then, whose my best boy then. I talked to the hens. My now all grown up daughters are sure, mum's a lot cause these days.

LizG Sun 16-Feb-14 20:13:18

Tinker is often known as Tynx or if I am in a good mood Tinker Winker. Mind you it's not what you say but how you say it and my voice often makes her name sound babyish - 'Tinker Winker mwah, mwah'. Oh the shame blush

absent Sun 16-Feb-14 20:27:57

Shysal The Fonts were all born in my office – hence their names. Their mother was called Fishpaste, but that's another story.

Gagagran Sun 16-Feb-14 20:55:11

Our two cats, Otto and Cleo were always called Rotto and Clotto by DH. They never took offense) wink

annodomini Sun 16-Feb-14 21:00:40

Sophocles (completely black and beautiful) was known as Soppy.

Flowerofthewest Sun 16-Feb-14 21:14:47

Missy - Missylaneous: Gorgeous Girl: Beautiful Girl, Best Girl, Baby Girl.

Oscar - Big boy, Dopey, Stumpy (he has lost most of his tail) Trouble, Oscar Poos, Brian's Boy, Daddy's Boy. Handsome.

I also refer to my DH as Daddy (sometimes) when talking to the cats about him and refer to Missy as his 'sister' and Oscar as her 'brother' - they are not related in any way.

Have just realised that names for the girl cat are sweet names whereas names for 'our boy' are mainly rather the opposite

numberplease Sun 16-Feb-14 21:53:37

Don`t know why, but I quite often call our cat Flossie Annabelle.............her name is Mia!

Anne58 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:09:04

Digby is Squeaky Fatarse, or Digaby Wigaby Woo, Maurice is Mori Mori Moo, or Mauriiiiisovitch, and Lily is Lily Loo. They also each have their own song blush

Oh and I have to change their potties.

When we first adopted Lily she had a different name, but I just couldn't face the prospect of Mr P standing on the doorstep shouting "Spunky, where are you?"

Soutra Sun 16-Feb-14 22:26:14

DH usually calls Grace " Will you get out of my way sad (does she? No) grin

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-14 22:29:44

I have a pair of Cream Legbar chickens called John and Yolko.

ninathenana Sun 16-Feb-14 22:35:21

We have a rescue cat that was called Skye when we got her. She's never called that DH either calls her madam or 'hello you'
I tend to call her puss or pussycat willow.

Nelliemoser Sun 16-Feb-14 23:30:09

Oh dear! What a soppy lot we are. smile

With me its "Hello Budgie Wudgies, be good boys! and "Mummy is going to get you some!" (whatever).
Also "Mummies little budgie boys."
Since I have had my DGS I get a tad confused and refer myself to the birds as Nannan! There is also the cry of "Time for Budgie bye byes! as I put the cover on at night.

annodomini Sun 16-Feb-14 23:38:25

Do you remember the late Frank Muir who once wrote a children's book about an Afghan Hound called 'what a mess'?

whenim64 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:48:43

I have several 'What A Mess' books, anno. I was reading one of them to my five year old grandsons a few says ago. 'What A Mess and a Trip to the Vet.' They're delightful books.

Iam64 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:26:08

"What a Mess" remains a favourite here, and our doodle dog is often referred to as What a Mess by our daughters. It's definitely a term of endearment, and a great nickname, as she does manage to look like a scruff, beard standing out, all the fur on her face and ears sticking up in different directions, and gormless expression on her face.